Hi everyone, you'll probably see a lot of me around here from now on. Every time I buy anything - I always have major problems. Anyways - I just bought myself a '97 EX40U2 my first ever digger and was very excited about it. The tracks were a little loose and I had said to myself I'll tighten them this weekend. However I started attacking a tree stump on a slope and managed to get the track jump off the idler. I drove it backwards off the slope, jacked it up, Loosened the grease nipple and the idler came back, I flipped the track back on and started to pump up the grease nipple again (after I'd tightened it) This is the first time Ive done this so wasnt sure what to expect as far as grease consumption. I kept pumping and pumping, changed cartridges and pumped some more, I could see the idler wheel move with each pump, however it jst kept springing back. after i'd emptied a ton of grease into it I found grease was coming out the far end of the adjuster, right above the roller nxt to the idler. Figured somehow I've blown a seal, so whipped the track off and pulled out the idler. Big pile of grease behind idler, cleaned most the grease out. But I couldnt pull out the tensioner.. I've taken grease nipple off rear, have got a bit of 4x2 abt 6ft long wedged in there with a large tie down levering the 4x2. The 4x2 has a big bend in it and is pressing hard against the rear of the idler. Then I've got a pry bar in the front end where the tensioner sits and levered it around, I can get about 1mm movement when I pry it from side to side but the thing is not moving out at all. I've bashed the front end with a pipe and mini sledge while the 4x2 is pushing the other way, nothing I do seems to move it. It seems locked in tight. Any ideas? Thx
Just adding some pics, first - my rudimentary lever applying pressure, second the port where the grease nipple screws in and third the pushing end of the tensioner with a pry bar
Sorry got 2nd and third labels wrong way rnd. I was initially concerned that grease nipple was offset to the hole. However the other side looks the same. I've looked all over and cant find any bolts or anything that might be attaching it.
If you look on the top of the second to last picture you can see what is left of the seal that holds the grease pressure in the track adjuster.
The track adjuster just float in the tube. Not sure about one this small, sometimes their are bolts that you can remove and use longer bolts with lifting eyes, but fastest way weld a eye on end of adjuster rod and run a chain thru it and pull with hoe.
hey mate , these track adjuster's just float inside the track frame .I've done a few of them and they come out easy unless the spring is broken and is binding up inside the track frame.I've had that happen before and makes it a pain in the ass to remove.
or it could be compacted in there with mud and ****.
Got the bugga! I put a 20 tonne portapower in behind it and pushed it out, it took 2 tonne to move, it was caked solid with mud plus the spring is broken, where do I find a new spring/adjuster? Is it worth buying 2nd hand or am I likely to run into similar problems? I guess the spring is broken from corrosion cracking so the other is likely to be in the same boat? Now Ive got a system, I'll pull the other side off and check it out
i had a feeling the spring was brocken they do that .If i was you i'd price up the bits to fix it and whole new assembly and compare prices , all the track adjusters i've done have had badly worn shafts and bores and need machining and new bits made up. I see your in nz also so if i was you i'd contact CablePrice they are the hitachi agent's or jump on google and there are quite a few places around that could get you a aftermarket one as genuine bits can be pricey. pull the other side aswell cause normally when one goes the other goes.
On yr advice I pulled the other one - it was much harder to remove, took 6 tonne of force and was binding the whole way out. Spring broken on that one too - $350 per spring - ouch.
yeah mate when it comes to equipment **** aint cheap.Unless you try pick up second hand ones ??
Hi ben. Just a thank you. I have just had the exact same prob with my zx50 so tomoz I'm out there with a a few tools to try and release it out. Many thanks. Colin.