Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi ex58mu

ecca ยท 2012-10-10 00:37

To whom may help I have a problem with my excavator. Was runnig fine and just stopped. once restarted it will only continue to run with the key in start position. If you fiddle with the key you can get the starter out with it running but let the key to far from the start position and the engine stops. I thought it must be the ignition key switch, pull apart and it looked fine. Refitted and problem the same. I thought I would get the machine back to the shed by holding the key on and disconnecting the starter. Idea was working until the stop soleniod smoked out and the engine stopped. I guess I have 2 problems now. Any ideas on the first problem. Thanks

Replies1
  1. #1Karl Robbers2013-03-22 09:17

    I don't have an answer to your problem, but I would like to pass on a warning regarding the "intelligent cross link" on your machine, (the bar that causes the boom to pivot thus extending dig depth and height reach). I have repaired two of these that have cracked where the eye welds on to the tube and they both let go without warning, (prior to my repairing them), which caused the boom to fold like a broken arm. Scary stuff if you happened to be running an auger with an assistant or other such work where humans were present. Please, please, check yours for cracks in this area. Alternators were also a problem on this machine. A friend of mine ran one of these and the alternator caught fire on 7 occasions, on the 7th he walked away from it in the hope that the machine would burn to the ground, (his was one of the "intelligent cross links that failed). The damn thing went out by itself!