Hey guys, New to the forum and the heavy equipment world so bear with my terminology and explanations of parts on the machines. Just received three tickets in July 2011. Now I have recently been working with my friends fathers 301.8 CAT Mini Excavator, and am seeing some major issues with this particular machine. I have very little exeprience fixing excavators and am seeking advice on what this issue could be and how to go about fixing it. Every time I swing the Cab side to side or use the bucket to move push dirt horizontally it makes a very loud clicking noise underneath and I am thinking it is the gears that rotate the cab grinding or maybe just need greasing? He bought it used and I am not sure what condition he got it in since he has had it for a few months. I just recently started using it to get experience in and it seems to be slowing me down some. Any way of maybe fixing it ourselves or is it ajob for the shop? Any response with any information would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to hef! Let me start by saying don't push dirt with the side of the bucket! Its hard on the swing motor, swing gear, stick and boom, especially on those little machines. Its okay to "dust" of a little bit of gravel or sand but anything. Heavy should be moved with the cutting edge. Sounds to me like either the swing bearing, ( the big round thing that's between the top and bottom of the machine) or the swing gear/motor are on their way out. Neither of which are fun jobs on a mini.lubrication can't hurt, the owners manual should be located in a pocket on the back of the seat and will tell you any maintenance and lubrication that will be periodically, wouldn't hurt to take a peak at that, but I don't believe anything other than the bearing is greasable. Grease recommendations should be in there too, but whatever you do, do not use a moly based (usually grey in color) grease in the bearing.
I appreciate the information and quick response. The dirt I was moving with the bucket I meant small amounts. I did leave out a couple details. This thing is making loud clicking or "clunking" noise and I cannot swing quickly or smoothly. Always overshoots how far I really want it to go. Now he didnt get a manual with the machine and I am wondering if there is anywhere online where i can find free ones or even ones at a discount rate (ie. Used) as I am currently not able to afford full priced brand new ones. Also I'm assuming it is not fixable unless you are a licensed heavy mechanic or is it a realistic job? I'm assuming not lol. Once again i appreciate any information and think I will be on these forums for years to come as I am very new to the industry and have a lot to learn.
safety.cat.com should have all the operator and maintenance manuals for free. edit- I should mention that they are not full manuals, but I think they contain what you are after.