Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi ex60-2 power loss

slye · 2020-03-04 14:20

Hi all I’m new to the page. Can anyone help or share there knowledge about this. We have a ex60-2 that losses power not long after warming up. Under load/ digging, slewing and tracking. It just losses power to the point it wants to stall. We changed the fuel and air filters, also checked and cleaned the bango bolt screen by the lift pump and still no go. It doesn’t smoke just losses power. Any advise will be much appreciated..

Replies17
  1. #1Delmer2020-03-04 14:32

    Any rubber suction hoses? change them, or check for cracks near the ends. Water separator with a plastic bowl? those like to leak under suction, but not leak fuel because they're above the tank on the suction side.

  2. #2Bls repair2020-03-04 16:21

    Check for small inline filters,clogged fuel lines. Is tank venting?

  3. #3slye2020-03-05 20:02

    Hi is the suction hoses to do with the air filter?? And I don’t think the tank is vented

  4. #4Delmer2020-03-05 21:07

    No, the suction hoses I'm talking about would be between fuel tank and the transfer pump. The tank better be vented, keep looking.

  5. #5Ronsii2020-03-05 21:14

    Tank has to be vented somehow.... may be through the filler cap.. but most likely a line running from the top of it somewhere.

  6. #6slye2020-03-06 15:10

    Yes just check tank is vented. and hoses from tank to the lift pump seem fine

  7. #7Ronsii2020-03-06 16:15

    == You can blow air through them..

  8. #8slye2020-03-06 19:10

    Yea lines are good. Any other suggestions??

  9. #9Delmer2020-03-06 20:51

    You could check fuel pressure, either the internal pressure in the injection pump or near the intake of the injection pump. and/or run the fuel return into a jar so you can see if there's bubbles in it. If the fuel pressure doesn't drop dramatically when it's stalling, then I don't know what to say, I'd think you'd get smoke if it was too much load on the engine, or any other injection pump problem.

  10. #10Bls repair2020-03-07 09:42

    Does turning off auto idle make any difference?

  11. #11Ronsii2020-03-07 14:08

    How did the seal/washers look when you took off the banjo bolt fuel line? and did you put them on exactly as they came off?? it kinda sounds like you're getting air in the fuel...

  12. #12slye2020-03-13 05:16

    Hey there. The washers looked fine on the bango bolt, but I didn’t really take notice if I put them back the same way. Will check that out. Bls repair- no the auto idler dosnt really make a difference. Still loses power

  13. #13Ronsii2020-03-13 09:47

    Orientation of the washers probably isn't a big deal as long as the rubber is still plenty good looking, it's only when the rubber seal part gets very deformed that it 'could maybe' make a difference and let air in... it's just one of those cheap parts that nobody ever replaces and can fail sooner or later.

  14. #14slye2020-03-13 15:32

    Too tru mate, cheers

  15. #15Davidex6022020-12-05 16:29

    Did you ever get this problem sorted have the same issue on a 60-2?

  16. #16dgreen2023-10-04 07:11

    Same problem here Ex60-urg

  17. #17quillc2023-10-09 22:33

    For the URG (and probably the OPs machine), there is a screen on the inlet of the lift pump that is probably clogged. This is the pump that has the little plunger on it to prime the system. The fuel line comes in on the bottom of the pump. There is a screen on the banjo bolt. You will need to take the side cover off of the engine compartment next to the boom at the very least. I took off the front cover as well. You need to lift the boom up as high as possible to give you access. You will find the filter packed with particulate. Unscrew the screen, clean it out and put it back together. You will need something to plug the fuel line while you clean it or the fuel will just keep pouring out of the fuel line. I used a silicone plug that I got off of Amazon that's a long flexible cone. I also change the main fuel filter at the same time. Wix 33385 as I recall. I'd changed that and it didn't help this time. the screen was clogged. Cleaned that and the thing runs better than it ever has. I couldn't believe the difference.