Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thoughts on Volvo ec210c good / bad ?

bigrich954rr · 2020-03-03 23:02

Looking at getting a Volvo 210c With jrb quick coupler ? what to look for ? Good or bad ? how many hours will a swing bearing do on this excavator ?

Replies14
  1. #1southernman132020-03-04 07:43

    We have 290BLC. Love it. Seems to be a very well built machine. Not sure about the C series. I think they may actually be a better series. As far as the House bearing it has more to do with how it was used. Just guessing but I’d say 12-15K hours is not out of the question.

  2. #2bigrich954rr2020-03-04 08:58

    Ok I was hoping to hear that It has about 8k hours feels pretty good in its bearing and pins there are a couple small leaks . putting the bucket on the ground and pushing down I feel a small movement but I can’t tell if it’s the tracks or the bearing . Or if it normal and I’m just being Overly cautious with this big purchase I’m bringing another person to come look at it again with me

  3. #3uffex2020-03-06 15:05

    Good day A couple of link's may explain the movement. Measurin the SwingRing

  4. #4suladas2020-03-06 20:16

    I have exact same machine little over 8,500 hours and absolutely no play in slew bearing, it did however idle quite a bit with original owner. I believe working hours are about 6,000. Except for some play in the main boom pin largely from putting a crappy thumb on, the machine still feels very tight with everything being original. I have nothing but good things to say about the machine. The only issues i've had were not it's fault. One thing you may want to check is the idlers, both have been replaced on mine due to bearing going. Not a huge deal, but good to know if they are shot or not.

  5. #5bigrich954rr2020-03-07 17:41

    Thank you I’m very happy you posted how to measure it I would have done it wrong. Yea I’m hoping no one buys it before me . I’m going back to check the bearing next week if it passes I’ll be buying it .

  6. #6farmerlund2020-03-08 12:16

    I have a 2005 210blc I bought it with 3500hrs on it and it now has 6500hrs. has been a very reliable machine. no major breakdowns. I would definitely buy it again.

  7. #7uffex2020-03-08 14:39

    Good day In normal circumstances the swing/slew ring bearing will live the life of the machine with periodic greasing (25000Hrs +), the exceptions are working in sea water - strapped down to a barge - careless placement of welding leads - striking a high voltage cable. There may be more cause for failure that we are not aware to be sure some one of the guys on the forum may have something to add. Bearing failure is in most instances preceded by swing box/transmission failure so check the level of the lube in the swing box before you buy look for leakage. If I may suggest making a good inspection of the machine is a safe route to take care of funds. You can down load the protocol from excatech.org site for free it may take a while to make a sound inspection but to be sure you will know the product you are proposing to buy taking out a lot guess work. Kind regards Uffex

  8. #8bigrich954rr2020-03-15 08:50

    I brought it it has 7k hours the swing bearing has .60 . 65 .70 62 i measure it in a few different spots. not a lot of grease on the pins and brushing. So thinking it was low on grease in the swing area. overall looks like a pretty good excavator

  9. #9uffex2020-03-15 11:37

    Good day Assuming that we are talking metric that sounds pretty good result, be careful not to over grease that will force the bearing seal to become dislodged and can be tricky to refit. Kind regards Uffex

  10. #10bigrich954rr2020-03-15 23:47

    Sorry no I messed up it was suppose to be .060 .065 .070 .062 in inches . Was hoping it would be tighter but it was in my price range. . the replace spec say to replace at .090 . So hoping to put good moly grease in it and get all I can out of it .

  11. #11suladas2020-03-15 23:55

    Well if you figure it took 7k hours to get to that point and obviously not greased properly it should see a least a few thousand more hours. But definitely not normal, I just looked at mine i'm actually at 9,000 hours I haven't measured play but from what I can tell there is absolutely nothing. As far as greasing, I don't follow the 250 hour internal, I grease bucket every 20-25 hours and whole machine including swing bearing every second or third time. I like the idea of giving it a tiny bit much more often, especially considering the machine doesn't get a ton of hours so want to get out any water if it's getting in there. Also one thing I didn't learn until awhile after I bought machine is in the battery compartment putting in bulk grease for swing gear.

  12. #12uffex2020-03-16 02:31

    Good day Those results are not alarming, in many instances folk expect zero tolerance from new bearings which is almost impossible to find some clearance is necessary if subscribers would like some manufactures information I have it on file. Kind regards Uffes

  13. #13funwithfuel2020-03-16 06:49

    No moly! Grease every 250 hours and only a couple CC's then . Oh, congratulations on your purchase.

  14. #14bigrich954rr2020-03-16 11:06

    Thank you . It’s going to be moving some dirt soon. no moly i figured it wasn’t a high speed bearing. I use shaffers 238 for most pins and bushing and high load parts. what everyone else using ? How often do you pack the swing gear ? How much bulk grease ? Pics if you have any yes if you have specs post them I have a lot to learn