Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi EX60urg Looses power after 45 min

Wardiker ยท 2009-06-30 00:06

I just bought a 1991 EX60 urg, Ive found after 45 minutes the unit looses power and runs a bit ruff. Replaced the Hydraulic fluid filter and fuel filter. Still same results. anyone had experience with this kind of problem, Its has been suggested to me that the hydraulic pump pressure regulator valve may be the problem and expensive to fix

Replies31
  1. #1willie592009-06-30 00:14

    Welcome to the forum Wardiker. :usa "unit looses power and runs a bit ruff". "It has been suggested to me that the hydraulic pump pressure regulator valve may be the problem and expensive to fix" A pump problem wouldn't necessarily make it run rough. I'm not there listening to it, but it sounds more like a fuel delivery problem. Blockage in the fuel line from the tank? I've seen it plenty of times. Fuel lift pump going south? Could be that as well. I wouldn't be hasty and condemn the hyd pump until I checked that the fuel delivery to the engine.

  2. #2Wardiker2009-06-30 01:10

    Thanks ATCOEQUIP, To be even more specific, when I load the hydraulics (i.e. removing a stump or engaging the tracks) it can stall the engine, when the hydraulic arms or bucket is fully extended to its limit it will drag the REvs down. I hope its a fuel problem and that has been suggested to me as well. Does that give more insight? I understand that I will have to get a mechanic to diagnose it soon.

  3. #3dozerdave2009-06-30 03:32

    Hi Wardiker, I am not a mechanic but I ran a G1,000 Gradall for four years and it could be as simple as a grease rag in the fuel tank to a sticky bypass valve. A pressure check will answer the control valve problems if it has any.

  4. #4cps2009-06-30 09:23

    Hi wardiker, ( i just replyed to your post in anoter thread before i seen this) But now that i've seen you got a URG model EX60 i can tell you to take of the engine cover between the boom and the engine ( it can be arkward) and follow the fuel feed pipes, still not sure were but you will find a banjo bolt holding on the fuel line (maybe around the lift pump) this will have a small filter in side it! Like i said it is common on the EX60URG takes very little to block it up! Almost sure this is your problem, As they say,I cut my teeth on one of these machines, great little tool! Hope this helps CPS

  5. #5Wardiker2009-06-30 19:23

    Thanks CPS, I did take a look and saw a banjo bolt like you said, I removed it and dismantled it but saw no filter, it was clear thought. It was about 10 inches from the fuel filter (which I also noted had a couple of bajo bolts) right where you said it should be. If its any help I have this unit on youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yil6UL_SI4A its running pretty good at this point but at 1:40 it does start to lug down a bit. When I was just there it seemed to lack power for the hydraulics right from the get go.

  6. #6willie592009-06-30 19:46

    Hitachi has used those little plastic strainer screens on the banjo bolts of a number of models. I think we need to try to determine if it's lack of fuel or excessive hyd load. You've used the terms "can stall engine" and "looses power". This will help us the most: If it's a fuel problem (clogged line/screen, lift pump problem, basically starving for fuel under load), the engine should begin to simply slow down, horsepower drops, just like it would if you were running out of fuel. You let go of the load, the engine would labor to run for a moment, then it would slowly pick back up to the rpm it was previously at. That's generally a fuel problem. Hyd/pump problem would be excessive load on the engine. Assume you have a malfunction of the hyd system that was causing the pump to produce more oil/pressure than is needed, it would put excessive load on the engine, more than it has horsepower to produce. The result is generally the engine starts slowing down, but is cranking all the horsepower and black smoke it can to try and keep up, until you release the load and it immediatly picks it's rpm back up and say's, "thank you for letting go, I was working my butt off back here!" Hope this helps ya a little.

  7. #7motrack2009-07-01 23:08

    My money is on the little plastic strainer in the banjo bolt. I recall that strainer is located in the banjo bolt going into the filter head. I have seem many Hitachi running as you described because of this strainer pluged.

  8. #8Wardiker2009-07-03 02:03

    Problem Solved Thanks everyone, you were correct it was a bizzare fuel line clog. Someone added/replaced part of the fuel line, at the junction between the 2 the put in a metal coupler. They heated the old fuel line up so much it melted and when they pushed it onto the couple the plastic inner diameter melted into a ball and clogged the line. Whew, ATCO, CPS, Motrack and the rest you know your stuff.

  9. #9motrack2009-07-03 14:29

    Glad you found the problem. Did you ever find the strainer inside of the banjo bolt? If may have been removed.

  10. #10AtlasRob2009-07-03 18:01

    I have been advised this week that the Case CX130 has a very similar tiny filter in one of the banjo couplings with the resulting problem highlighted here. I will expand on why I got told, in another thread shortly.

  11. #11Wardiker2009-07-03 23:11

    Banjo Bolt strainer Yes I did find the strainer in the banjo bolt , there were 5 bolts and it was the last and most ackward one (of course), It was clean. We saw the fuel tank was very dirt in the bottom so removed the tank, pressure washed it and were about to replace the fuel line when we found the problem. You guys know yer stuff and I avoided a potential $6000.00 hydraulic pump rebuild which would not have solved the problem. Thats why we went atfer the simple stuff 1st. WOW do I feel great.

  12. #12willie592009-07-03 23:41

    Well I'm glad you got it sorted out Wardiker, and you was able to keep your wallet in your hip pocket. Very smart washing out the tank. I'd feel pretty good right now as well. It's Miller time! :drinkup

  13. #13luc21212009-08-09 12:30

    i'm a new member here and am looking at an ex60-2, how are these machines ? i couldn't start a new post so i used this one, i own 250 acres and am looking to buy either a mid sized excavator like the ex60 or a small dozer like a d21, some of the project on the to do list is to prepare a spot for the house approx 200yds x 200yds. the spot slopes upwards from the road ending approx 9ft higher at the rear, i need to move fill from the rear to the front , i also want to dig a couple of ponds. and level off the house area. i alreadt have a new holland tc45 with a small hoe, loader and a kubota 8950 with a 7ft loader and a 5ton dump trailer, trying to figure out what will be more usefull ? a small dozer or a mid size excavator ? the blade on the excavator can it push fairly well ? thanks in advance for everyiones help luc

  14. #14Wardiker2009-08-09 13:26

    I bought my Ex60 for similar reasons, I have10 acres I want to develop. The blade is great but it wont replace a Dozer, its more for finishing. The Ex60 is considered a Midi-size excavator. I think that something like a 120 or 200 might be better depending on the size of the ponds you want to make and the buckets on those will doze the dirt better than the blade on the EX60. The EX60 is a great machine by all acounts and is treating me very well. I have a 26" bucket so it does cut a hole very well. Im pretty new as well, so let see what some of the veterans have to say, they really know thier stuff. Hope this helps

  15. #15Vantage_TeS2009-08-10 01:16

    Just a heads up (I'm sure if you were able to figure the fuel problem out you already know) but you're in desperate need of bushings and probably some pins. I noticed some pretty dangerous play in the bucket linkage and verticle stick pin (for the side shift). Might wanna take care of that before you have to bring a welder in to build up the pin holes and re-bore everything.

  16. #16Wardiker2009-08-11 23:58

    Thanks Bud, I was aware of that, but I appreciate the heads up very much. Thanks again

  17. #17CaribooHarry2009-08-14 09:58

    How do you like the EX60 mow that you have the fuel problem fixed, my son has one and he thinks its great.

  18. #18swampdog2009-08-14 11:07

    That is not a mid-sized excavator; it's a small excavator. How big are the ponds you want to dig, or are you just blocking off one end of a natural depression? For actually digging a pond, you want a large excavator - the bigger the better. And if you have 250 acres and want to prepare a building site of 200 x 200 yds, you also might want a larger machine. Small excavators and dozers have their place, but mainly on small jobs with space restrictions. Larger machines can cut big jobs down to size; those jobs just look overwhelming if all one has is small machines. If you want an excavator for working on a larger site, you might want to look for something in the the 200 to 300 size range. That's a mid-size excavator.

  19. #19luc21212009-08-14 17:59

    loose track i actually bought the ex60, seems like a good machine, wanted this size so i can still pull it behind a pick up if needed. the machine i bought seems to work fine so far except the the left track loosened up 2 times, i pumped grease to it to take up the slack but after 15 minutes of moving it around the track goes way slack, doesnt seem to be coming out of the grease nipple end, must be leaking at the seal, how do i remmove the cyl. ? do i take track off(rubber) and slide idler out of front ? or does it come out from bellow ? hard to see in there. any help would be appreciated Luc

  20. #20special tool2009-08-14 18:36

    How much does this machine weigh?

  21. #21luc21212009-08-14 20:47

    14000 lbs

  22. #22willie592009-08-14 20:49

    Yes, Luc2121, you remove the track from the front idler and pull the idler out to service the grease adjuster. It's not too bad a job on a small machine like an EX60.

  23. #23luc21212009-08-14 21:15

    thanks for the reply, i just started a new thread about it because i had enough posts now. will tackle the job tommorrow morning. the machine seems to be perfect for what i want to do, digs ponds etc. a bigger machine would be better and faster but also more expensive. this one fit my budget i just have to take my time. it's also nice that it fits through my existing trails through the woods and i don't have to widden them all to get around.

  24. #24websurfshop2009-10-07 23:33

    Which bolt is it? Is it the one of the three on the top of the spin on filter? The one on the front of the injection pump? Or the one on the side next to the primer/bleed pump? I can't seem to find a strainer and I would love to have that be my problem. I am having the same problem with my EX60URG, runs rough after 10 minutes, seems to happen everytime I get on a steep slope. I have been trying to pull myself up a 40-50% slope with the boom and tracks to save myself a lot of hand digging. I have not had success finding the problem and appreciate finding this thread (Googled it). Can't seem to find a strainer in a banjo bolt. I haven't checked the one below the primer/air bleed valve. It's really tight back there between the boom mount and engine so hard to see below the pump, not sure it that is the supply or return line. Changed the Napa #3386 spin on filter, drained and unbolted the gas tank today and the fuel flows fine. Sucked some diesel into my mouth out of the return line so it does not seem clogged. Not sure where to go next. Any ideas?

  25. #25Aardvark2009-10-08 05:56

    Strainer Websurfshop, my Ex 58 mu had the same problem, running rough etc especially when working on fairly steep slopes. It too didn't have any strainers inside the banjo bolts but it did have a tiny plastic one in the bottom of the tank. The tank is plastic and tends condensate a lot.It had quite a bit of crap in the bottom despite the water being drained every 250 hours. I've included a pic of mine If you have something like this beware when removing the hoses as its only alloy and breaks easily. After removal,the strainer was found to be almost completely caked in crap but still flowing enough to allow the machine to run, however after blowing it out with compressed air, cleaning the tank, putting everything back together the machine definitley runs better and has picked up some top-end rpm's as well. In the pic the stalk on the left is the return to tank, the stalk on the right is the plastic strainer. ( after cleaning you can see through it)

  26. #26websurfshop2009-10-08 20:43

    Banjo bolt screen Yup there is a screen inside the banjo bolt on the fuel supply line going into the Nikki fuel injection unit. Hard to get too. It's on the bottom side under the air bleed/pump with not much room back there. There was so much crud in the bolt and screen I am surprised it ran at all. Finished taking out the tank and cleaned it with a pressure washer. Lots of crud in the bottom. The EX60 has no in tank filter (on mine anyway) and the tank is steel. I am sure it will run like a champ after I get'er back together. As and aside I bought a photocopied service manual from Pape' machinery out of Eugene Oregon. They were the only ones that could find it. It's in English but the pictures are kind of lousy because it's a reproduction photocopy. Set me back about $200 if I remember correctly. :Banghead

  27. #27Wardiker2009-10-09 21:41

    Yeh its that last one you mentoined, the hardest one to get at, we had to remove the bottom plate under the excavator and get at it from below. I hear this is the most common problem. If the strainer is clean (and clean it anyways), the next thing to do is look at your fuel line itself, maybe even replace it to eliminate it from the list, fuel line is cheap, but it will take some time to re-run the line. Thats the best place to start after the stainer in the Banjo bolt is checked. After that you may want to check the fuel pressure going to the Injector pump (I believe its refered to as Rail pressure). Let me know how that works You may have an injector pump problem but do the simple stuff 1st it saved my wallet.

  28. #28Argodzilla2010-04-23 14:47

    I was told the EX60URG w/blade weighs 17,000lbs. Can anyone verify?

  29. #29websurfshop2010-04-23 17:34

    My manual says 14,500 lbs.

  30. #30Art_H2013-10-09 01:02

    My '99 EX60-5 weighs 16'500 lbs with a 42" clean out bucket and 24" grousers. Blade as well. I seem to be experiencing the same symptoms. I'll have a look at the banjo fitting... Anyone have issues with the lift pump (feed pump)?

  31. #31dynotime2015-08-31 17:37

    Fuel Problems Hello Guys My EX60URG did not have a Fuel Filter on the Machine. The only Fuel filter was inside the Fuel Pump. This Bronze Filter is very small and is only to filter the fuel after the filter. I have search hi and low for a Stock Fuel Filter Bracket but have never been able to find one. So I have been using in line Fuel Filters from Wix, they are small and do clog as my tank does have some rust in it. But once the machine does start to show any sign of power loss changing the filter solves the problem. If any one knows were to get a Filter bracket that will take a spin on filter please let me know at [email protected] I have been looking at some after market spin on brackets but cannot find a place to mount it. Thanks M