Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi Exc270LC-5 hydraulic pump question

Joe Quint · 2024-10-14 12:49

On my Hitachi Exc270LC-5, it really struggles to lift the boom. The stick works great. If I have a full bucket it must be close to the machine to lift it. Additionally when I travel, it can barely turn. Like just barely after 5 or so minutes of working back and forth. The machine has 12k hours on it. Fluid levels are all good. Just wondering where I should start looking. If it is at the pump or pressure regulator.

Replies11
  1. #1Diesel Dave2024-10-14 20:08

    Does the machine track straight but just have difficulty turning ? As far as boom lift power, hydraulic pressure checks would be first step.

  2. #2Doug Alexander2024-10-14 21:37

    Hi Joe, First thing I would check is the pump, you need the correct pressures, but the flow at the required pressure is the key...with 12K hours, the pump is likely starting to wear. Does it work better when you first fire uo the machine? Like when the oil is "cold" there won't be as much internal leakby so functions should work better on startup and slow when the oil heats up.. Doug

  3. #3Joe Quint2024-10-14 23:37

    I would say the machine tracks straight for the most part. One motor does appear more powerful than the other but neither could actually break free of friction and skid on dirt. There maybe something about the warmer vs colder oil because the more I use the machine it seems to get lousier about sticking out. It’s really hard to say about the tracking part because it’s really slow, I don’t know that it could make it up a hill. I have some pressure gauges but don’t know where to hook them up on the machine or how to run the procedure. My service manual doesn’t seem to have that in it. If you have a procedure or you tube video that explains it , send it my way! Thanks in advance!

  4. #4Joe Quint2024-10-14 23:41

    Lastly, I’m able to dredge my pond with it (it’s a long reach) but the cycle time is not so fast with it not being able to lift anything unless the bucket is near the cab. I have seen videos of a similar machine working really well. The rotation works plenty good though. One more item, every now and again the machine will seem to pulse or shake when trying to boom up. I stop booming up and it chills out.

  5. #5SlatcoAu2024-10-15 10:51

    Is it throwing any codes? You should be able to turn the key forward (but not start) hold down the number 9 and then press the center of the scroll wheel. That should give you access to the service menu where you can see any generated codes.

  6. #6Joe Quint2024-10-15 14:19

    It’s a 2002. No scroll wheels or screens I don’t have a code reader for it either

  7. #7SlatcoAu2024-10-15 15:17

    Ah ok, its probably not a -5 machine then

  8. #8Diesel Dave2024-10-15 16:17

    To check codes on Hitachi EX series -2,-3 or -5 excavators see 2 screenshots below. .

  9. #9SlatcoAu2024-10-15 16:19

    AH, thanks Dave - EX not ZX.... my mistake

  10. #10Diesel Dave2024-10-15 16:39

    Sounds like your tracks are the weakest portion of the machine. I think travel motor leakage tests would give an idea of the motor internals condition. Procedure is 2 screenshots below. .

  11. #11Diesel Dave2024-10-15 17:11

    @Joe Quint , check your messages.