Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT M315D (2002) recurrent injector issues

Mragrnarok · 2024-10-14 14:16

Hello everyone, I hope you're all doing well. I’m currently facing an issue with the injectors on my CAT M315D (2002) and was hoping to get some advice or insights from those who may have had similar experiences. The injectors only last a few months before clogging or failing. The fuel tank and injection lines have been thoroughly cleaned, and solenoid valves have already been replaced. I’ve been using clean fuel and regularly changing filters. I ran diagnostics when the issue first occurred, but no alerts were found. Despite that, the problem persists. I’m planning to run more in-depth checks with Cat ET to monitor fuel pressure and investigate further. Has anyone else encountered similar issues or have suggestions on what else I should consider? Thank you in advance for your help!

Replies3
  1. #1Nige2024-10-14 14:33

    Are the injectors you are installing OEM or aftermarket.? Or are getting your own injectors overhauled and reinstalling.? Got a Part Number.? What's the Serial number.? There are at least a half dozen different models of M315D, it's always nice to know which one you have.

  2. #2Cliffy2024-10-14 16:40

    Do you pre fill your filters? It so, please dont. These little perkapillars dont handle contaminated fuel well. Maybe trace the fuel lines and make sure they are oriented correctly. Maybe the fuel isn’t getting filtered?

  3. #3Mechanic_Caterpillar2024-10-15 12:14

    Replace the Common Rail fuel pump and injectors at the same time. Use only original fine fuel filters up to 4 microns, always install the filters dry. The fuel pump begins to wear out over time and the smallest metal shavings get into the check valves of the injectors.