Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi Help! zaxis 200 swing problems. (swing is locked)

Tommy84 ยท 2023-06-22 20:46

Like the title suggests. Machine is a zaxis 200-3. I have been noticing noise and vibration as I am swinging while moving a loaded bucket to it's new home. As I slow down my swing to unload I notice the vibration / noise. it feels rough. I slowed my movements down and that seemed to help for awhile. But today while working on a slope the machine locked up. I tired to swing left and it physically felt like it was grinding / hung up and wouldn't move past 11 o'clock. I could kinda force it to swing the other way to 1 o'clock and it felt the same. definitely felt like a physical obstruction. At this point I knew I was f*cked for the day and shut it down. Does this sound like swing brake failure? Slew ring? Or is there something I can check before pulling the swing motor? No codes were found on MPDR. before I shut down the machine. Thanks Tommy.

Replies4
  1. #1Vetech632023-06-22 21:15

    Pull the drain plug on the swing gear box and see if your going to be rich by the silver mine that may pour out.

  2. #2Tommy842023-06-22 22:51

    I'll try that in the morning. Is it suspicious that it failed after the pinon seal was changed. They would have had the swing motor out. When I got it back I checked in the inspection cover the grease was soup. From gear oil and water. I drained out as much as I could and refilled the grease. Isn't that something you would address while you had it out.

  3. #3Tommy842023-06-23 09:37

    Oil looks clear I did a few test pans didn't see any silver. Oil looks a bit thin for gear oil to me. After 100hrs since seal was done. Inspection plate removed. There is grit in the grease looks like some fine sand and what looks like very fine metal. The teeth appear good from what I can see. Grease in slew ring bath needs to be changed again. Can the machine be operated without gear oil to test travel pressure? Is it a waste to refill if my next move is to pull the swing motor out?

  4. #4Tommy842023-06-24 17:02

    For anyone sitting on the edge of their chair with anticipation for this cliff hanger of a post. This is probably a good reason the machine won't swing. Someone pulled the pin and grenaded the swing motor. Not me I swear.