Good afternoon. I'm currently restoring a Hitachi UH12. Approx year 1977. It has a Hitachi engine which will be one of the only around. I am after a sales brochure for this machine as well as any information any one may have. Old photos etc. that later changed them o a UH14. The same but with I think an Isuzu motor and a bit more modern. My e mail address is [email protected] Regards Pete
I just ran across your posting here pete. The UH12 did not change to UH14. The UH14 was a larger machine. The UH12 was also the UH143 & John Deere 792. I still own a UH143 from 1985. It has the Hino engine which has been trouble free.
Hi Pete, the UH14 was larger than the UH12. I have a UH143 which is the same machine as the UH12 and the john deere 792. My UH143 is from 1985 and has the Hino engine which has been trouble free since new. Nick
Sorry to contradic you 361brock. The UH12 was wholly built by Hitachi including the engine. All the controls were air over hydraulic including the travel which were 4 buttons on the floor. Pete, I saw some photos of them in Cable Price Christchurch of a heap of them digging a hole for a Nuclear Power station in Canada, Quebec IIRC, dammed if I can remember the salesman name, could be Ralph. How is Buzz?
I didn't realise that this was such an old tread. Here's Pete with the Hitachi and the story behind it. I worked for Buzz and Sam March when they owned it. https://70th.hitachicm.com/en/interview/dormer/
I have a catalogue that shows the UH14 serial no 181-1010 sept 1974 to serial no 181-0500 july 1979. Shows the model UH14 with isuzu E120 87,700lbs machine. The UH12-7/UH143 uses Hino EP100T serial no 172-0101 Feb 1984 weight of 68,200lbs. Very different machine. The UH12 your talking about seems to have pre-dated anything in my book. Don't understand how UH12 become UH14.
I had to bring my UH143/UH12 to USA from Holland in 1985. I was looking at the JD792 at the time and discovered that Hitachi was the manufacturer of the JD. I liked the Hitachi version better because of the Hino engine. At the time the Hitachi version violated the trade agreement with JD so no UH143s were allowed to be sold in USA because it was same as 792 Deere.