Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi Zaxis 160lc

Eddiebackblade · 2009-01-15 18:13

I've found a 2004 Hitachi Zaxis 160lc, it has just turned 6000 hours and seems in good condition. I want it to convert to LGP and plan to have it cut and widened to accept 1200mm (4ft) pads. I have been searching for a Cat 315 without any luck, but this has turned up as a repossession at a very good price. Not been on an Hitachi since an Ex215 and I'm wondering if there is anything to look out for with the Zaxis.

Replies4
  1. #1Canadian_digger2009-01-15 18:25

    We have a 2003 160clc Deere with around 5300hrs. It’s basically the same machine as the Hitachi just different engines. All that’s really gone wrong was a leaking cylinder, a couple hydraulic leaks and a couple of injectors needed to be replaced. Deere engine though so the Hitachi may not have that problem

  2. #2John C.2009-01-15 20:26

    Probably the most common issue I have seen on them is the pilot controllers end up leaking into the cab all the time. They usually start the leaking process at around 6,000 hours. You put all new seals in and a thousand hours later they are leaking again. The seals cost less than $50 and it only takes about two hours to do the job. Cleaning up the mess in the cab is what sucks. The rest of the hydraulics and the Isuzu engine are pretty well bullet proof.

  3. #3Canadian_digger2009-01-15 21:19

    Ohh yeah I forgot about the pilot controls leaking like john has said. Our started doing that a little while back. We will be fixing that this winter.

  4. #4Eddiebackblade2009-01-16 17:11

    Took a good friend along for another look and second opinion. On initial startup and upon shutting the engine down, there was a loud metallic clatter. It took a while to locate it, but it appears to be the coupling from engine to pump. The rest of the machine seemed fine apart from a broken aircon belt. It will be cheap but just too many machines/bargains about to consider a repair. I have another Zaxis 160lc to look at tomorrow and this only has 4500 hours from one owner/driver. It looks immaculate in it's photo's and has all the extra's, even a camera fitted to the rear. Hopefully this will be as good as it looks, but I won't despair as machines are appearing for sale every day and prices are crazy cheap!