Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi ZX 200: two speed, codes, ICX computer

John Wellnitz · 2022-04-08 13:50

Hi all. I have another issue with my Hitachi zx200. Serial# ARH310868, about 8,000 hrs. First, for reference it is not a -3 as I was previously told by John Deere, at least not in North America. Seems to be a series 1. It has a manual throttle, the servo was disconnected by previous owner. It has been working fine but I’ve been wondering if there’s some lack of communication from sensors as the working pressure is strong 5,000# and smooth but it barely pulls the engine down and seems a bit slow. Travel is straight, but it can’t lift the boom when traveling so seems like a flow problem. I don’t have prior experience with other excavators, just a backhoe so I’m not sure what’s normal for a machine of this age. The two speed switch doesn’t work, I believe the machine is stuck on slow. I started by checking the switch function and armrest wiring, it all seems good. The switch functions by grounding out a power wire. The two speed solenoid has power to it on one wire- does this mean it’s always energized and just switches polarity to move the spool, or is it actually stuck in high speed. There’s no response to changing the switch. I haven’t checked pilot pressure out of it yet, as I ran into other issues. In checking wires I found that the ICX or information controller computer had gotten water in it at some point and was all corroded and junk inside. The MC or main controller looks fine inside, I can’t see any corrosion or burnt board components. My question is if the ICX is an essential computer for machine operation or if the MC handles everything? I have some electrical diagrams in the manuals I downloaded but the don’t show the ICX in the machine control circuit. Is it just for diagnostics? I tried to get some codes from the display following the tech manual directions but it’s just a blank line where the code would be displayed. I don’t have DrZX. Before I continue I need to find out if it’s necessary to hunt down one of these ICX boards, looks like it might need to come from China. If the machine can function normally and there’s other ways to troubleshoot the two speed and make sure it’s running at capacity I can wait longer on one. Just don’t want to waste time testing stuff if this logic board is essential for proper machine function. Also if there’s a way to see if the main machine controller is still 100%. TIA for any advice, I really appreciate the help here. John Wellnitz

Replies3
  1. #1John Wellnitz2022-04-20 17:51

    Just a follow up and a few more questions. I ordered the controller which has three associated part numbers. 9194416, 9239568, and 9212078. The old controller and the new one both have stickers indicating that they are 9239568. I can only see the first three numbers on the sticker of the old unit. However, the new controller lack circuitry and components on the board for all but two of the pins. Even with newer design I don’t see how it can possibly replace the old one. I’ll attach photos of both. It does have an indicator led which the old one does not so I wonder if it was designed to just blink codes and not relay information to the display. Does anyone have experience with these information controllers and exactly what their function is? Thanks, John

  2. #2mg23612022-04-21 05:12

    Welcome to HEF John ! You need @LACHAU to come to the rescue !

  3. #3John Wellnitz2022-04-21 05:28

    Thanks! It’s a great place to be. Yes, I’ve read though some of his explanations on issues that others were having with their machines. He has a mind boggling amount of knowledge and understanding of how the systems work.