Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi zx200-3 auxillary hydraulics stuck open

NoBudgetMining ยท 2025-02-02 15:58

Hey, so the other day i took delivery of a new to me 200-3. It is plumbed for a hammer and has a thumb on it as well. Problem is the thumb is stuck shut with the cylinder applying constant pressure. the joystick controls do nothing, even after hitting the unlock toggle and having the monitor set to dig mode.( it has a breaker option set into it). I took off both electrical connectors on the solenoid. Which stopped the cylinder from being engaged. I then plugged one back in to see if I could retract the thumb and it did not retract. The plugs both had 28v and wouldn't respond when engaging buttons. Is it safe to say the solenoids are good and the problem is somewhere in the wiring? It has a sure grip joystick. Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1TVA2025-02-02 17:42

    Which plugs have 28 volts to them?

  2. #2NoBudgetMining2025-02-02 20:05

    The electrical plugs that go to the auxilary solenoid. Which is located outside the machine behind the cab.

  3. #3Diesel Dave2025-02-03 09:13

    Sounds like you have 1 defective solenoid coil and the 2 Suregrip joystick switches stuck closed or a shorted harness. Swap the two solenoid coils position (top to bottom and vice versa) ,plug them both in and see if the thumb will retract.

  4. #4NoBudgetMining2025-02-03 12:18

    I did the plug switch and was able to retract the thumb. Same symptoms but now reversed. I noticed the joystick controller pack is getting really hot, almost untouchable. I need to unscrew it and see what's going on. Appears like it's something wrong in the controller/harness or the inline 'box'. I did take apart the joystick and all the switches looked good and no broken wires.

  5. #5NoBudgetMining2025-02-04 14:29

    Took apart the control box and the board is toast. Have a new board on its way. Does anyone know if the board can just randomly burn up? Or is it caused by another fault? Electronics are not my strong suit and I dont wanna burn up the new $300 board on install.