Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

EX-120 THOUGHTS CRITICISMS CONCERNS

kl-kamco · 2025-02-02 09:40

HELLO, I HAVE FOUND AN EX120 THE OWNER WILL SELL AT $14K HOWEVER. THEY ARE WILLING TO THROW MONEY AT IT IN ORDER TO GET IT SOLD AT A HIGHER PRICE.IT SAT FOUR YEARS. I CURRENTLY HAVE DRAINED ALL THE FLUIDS changed filters added new FLUIDS CHARGED THE BATTERIES. AND GOT IT RUNNING, ASIDE FROM HAVING TO START IT WITH A SCREW DRIVER, NONE OF THE INSTURMENT LIGHTS WORK ON THE DASH THE INTERIOR IS TRASHED, AND THE CAB IS BEAT TO **** MISSING WINDOWS AND RUSTED. EVERYTHING FUNCTIONS HYDRAULICLY. AND THE UNDERCARRIAGE IS IN GOOD CONDITION. DOES ANYONE HAVE A PRICE AS IS, AND WOULD IT BE WORTH RESTORATION? ILL GET SOME PICTURES UP SOON.

Replies32
  1. #1skyking12025-02-02 12:11

    turn off the caps lock and we can talk.

  2. #2LCA0782025-02-03 00:43

    ^ As Skyking said. And what do you want to do with it? That will help determine it's value to you. It's missing the thumb cylinder so I wouldn't say all hydraulics are functional as you have no idea if that circuit works or not.

  3. #3kl-kamco2025-02-12 18:38

    My apologies about the caps. I want to hopefully sell for profit. The thumb circuit does work.

  4. #4Joe H2025-02-12 21:27

    Not a hope. Look on machinery trader, nice looking machines are $30K, that one is trashed. Guaranteed you'll not make money. Joe H

  5. #5Gary Layton2025-02-13 01:46

    I agree... making money on that machine looks highly doubtful. Please don't take this as a challenge to prove us wrong. Objectively rethink reality.

  6. #6Welder Dave2025-02-13 02:08

    To make it decent enough to sell would cost way more than you'd than you could sell it for. It's a pretty abused machine.

  7. #7HarleyHappy2025-02-13 06:26

    Think 8K and you probably still wouldn’t break even. If you are looking for a project, that will work. Sell it to a homeowner, that needs an old piece of iron, with a dooming 10k repair, that’s going through a mid-life crisis and it would work.

  8. #8DDoug2025-02-13 07:17

    Don't downplay the real restorative power in a can of rustoleum.....

  9. #9Joe H2025-02-13 07:19

    That thing is way past it's mid life crisis. Joe H

  10. #10LCA0782025-02-13 09:41

    Could you not buy any parts and instead spend many, many hours 'polishing' it up and make a couple thousand bucks? Possibly but odds are really slim as you need to find the right buyer. Could you buy parts and make the machine fairly functional and then sell it to make a profit? I just don't see any chance of that happening. The only chance for profit in that thing is selling it to someone with unrealistic hopes and a deep pocketbook.

  11. #11Vetech632025-02-13 11:28

    You guys are ruining what could be an epic thread. Shame on y'all!

  12. #12Welder Dave2025-02-13 17:30

    Well, we always have your epic thread to fall back on. Don't let us down.

  13. #13kl-kamco2025-02-13 17:41

    So your saying there is a chance,

  14. #14Welder Dave2025-02-13 18:15

    NO!!! Run away as fast as you can. There is no money to be made... only a lot to be spent.

  15. #15HarleyHappy2025-02-13 20:40

    F-That! This can be the deal! Think, after a couple of grand in hoses and fluids and filters, you get it operational and find some depressed homeowner that is losing his house to his wife or husband or vice verses, he has a log splitter to grind and decides he wants to pull up all his Patunias and Hostas and in the end rip the addition off the house because that what’s his or hers or it’s, then it’s game on. Let the bidding process begin. lol. Unfortunately, the only money to be made on that, will be the long road of E-bay or whatever for individual parts and scraping every cent, which, more than likely will take years. If you want a project and a learning experience, go for it. I have a dog of a skid steer in my garage and just finished putting the head on a Kubota V2203 and got 30 psi rotating the engine by hand. Just found out my left drive motor is junk so rolling the dice on the pumps and other drive. You only live once, don’t regret it. Experience only comes with trial and error. Hopefully more trials than errors. LOL.

  16. #16DDoug2025-02-13 21:11
  17. #17skyking12025-02-14 00:08

    Grounding your reference

  18. #18Vetech632025-02-14 09:04

    If you don't do anything else other than paint it.............you should double your money. Don't even bother with any paint prep.

  19. #19kl-kamco2025-02-14 09:42

    I appreciate you all. for the honest opinions. I have been feeling like an ******* ran my damn mouth before doing some research about the value. Im pretty sure that the $700.00 Dumped into it from the investor/ And the 30 or more hours of my time spent physically wrenching on this old tired dinosaur. Along with countless nights spent studying the 900+ pages of the shop service manual. , I need to realize that collaboratively the owner/financer and I have damn near sunk $2k into a machine that has been beat to ****. And is a bit tired. I fucked up pulled a dumb dumb. Into it 30 hours so what the heck might as well go for another 30 polishing this giant turd. honestly do I go with a Flat base coat then clear. Or just gloss.

  20. #20Vetech632025-02-14 10:02

    ***............I was kidding. Just walk away my friend.....

  21. #21Joe H2025-02-14 10:57

    "A bit tired" ? No amount of paint or polish is going to make it worth $30K, give it up. Give it up, sell it as is for whatever you can get. Joe H

  22. #22IceHole2025-02-14 12:00

    IF the boom was reasonably tight, hydraulics strong and engine seemed ok, maybe 10k. The late 90s 200 a friend has was $15k back when it was ~15 years old. And is in WAY better shape. Have only done fluids, 1 cylinder, muffler and a fuel cap in 10 years and it's worked in the woods stacking logs, grubbing stumps, etc.

  23. #23kl-kamco2025-02-14 13:06

    I appreciate you all. for the honest opinions. I have been feeling like an ******* ran my damn mouth before doing some research about the value. Im pretty sure that the $700.00 Dumped into it from the investor/ And the 30 or more hours of my time spent physically wrenching on this old tired dinosaur. Along with countless nights spent studying the 900+ pages of the shop service manual. , I need to realize that collaboratively the owner/financer and I have damn near sunk $2k into a machine that has been beat to ****. And is a bit tired. I fucked up pulled a dumb dumb

  24. #24Welder Dave2025-02-14 18:47

    Cursing on the forum is really frowned upon. If I'm understanding properly you told the buyer that together you and them could make a profit fixing the excavator up but you never looked into what they are worth on the used market? Clean it up as best you can and cut your losses. If it runs and all the hydraulics work you might get up $12K for it. Being that it's a smaller size and easier to transport increases the value a little bit. Not worth it to paint. Any potential buyer would see through a lousy paint job. A decent paint job would cost at least $3K. A good paint job $4K+. Trying to make money fixing up older machines rarely pays off. A really good mechanic who knows what they're looking at and can do all the repairs can sometimes make a profit fixing machines. Even people buying a machine to do a few projects and then sell to get their money back rarely do.

  25. #25Mobiltech2025-02-14 19:07

    Seems to be a bit of an ECHO.

  26. #26Welder Dave2025-02-15 00:28

    More of an eyes wide open WOW!

  27. #27Gary Layton2025-02-15 00:44

    I went back and read the first post...then re-read #24. I cannot tell if kamco actually already bought the machine or not. At first it sounded like he was considering buying it...then an "invester??" came into the mix...now I am confused.

  28. #28Welder Dave2025-02-15 01:17

    It is confusing in the 1st post. The latest revelations seem to indicate Kamco convinced someone with money to buy it and he could fix it and they could both make some money off it. If they can get everything operating properly and clean it up some, they may be able to recoup most of their money.

  29. #29Gary Layton2025-02-15 01:27

    OK...I can wrap my head around that...thanks. It should be an interesting journey if they keep going.

  30. #30kl-kamco2025-02-16 01:46

    For clarity I am not the owner, the owner is a friend, I agreed to help sell the Excavator. Agreeing that it will be split p worth allot more running with everything functioning correctly fresh filters and fluids. Being that there is no hurry to sell it maybe at auction? Figured $12k-$17k

  31. #31Welder Dave2025-02-16 03:15

    I think your expectations are high. $12K might be a good asking price depending on how it runs and works.

  32. #32HarleyHappy2025-02-16 07:31

    I think you will meet your goals. Especially if you have a thumb to put on. That thumb will be worth 3k working all day long.