Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi zx200 with blown motor

davecampbell ยท 2020-10-22 22:10

There is a zx200 for sale near me with a blown motor. I searched these forums and found reference to 06 and newer units having motor issues. It said there was a computer fix as well as different pistons. Anyone know the specifics on this? How can I tell if this machine is 2006 or newer?

Replies20
  1. #1mg23612020-10-23 04:54

    That machine was built on Feb 14, 2008. There was a "fix as fail" product improvement program to address the pistons/ECM software. It had never been done to that machine. That program is now expired.

  2. #2DB22020-10-23 05:01

    Great info as always mg! Out of curiosity what make of engine does this unit have?

  3. #3mg23612020-10-23 05:04

    Isuzu.

  4. #4davecampbell2020-10-23 09:10

    Any idea how much it would cost to get the ecm corrected? Motor has to be rebuilt , so replacing the pistons should be easy.

  5. #5LACHAU2020-10-23 11:10

    Oh, my best friend!! What is the problem ... what are the symptoms of the trouble ?? Anyway the ZAXIS dash 3 series machines have been working well in Vietnam ... no problem with their engines at all. Regarding ECM software, I think it got a problem with EGR control. Is it right?? We normally have modified ECM program to bypass EGR control. By the way, model of ZX200-3 is ISUZU AI-4HK1XYSA-02 (122 kW/2000rpm).

  6. #6davecampbell2020-10-23 11:21

    I'd like to eliminate the egr if possible. Is that a big project? The machine is for sale with a locked up motor. Seller says it's happened twice before.

  7. #7LACHAU2020-10-23 11:39

    It's also not that complicated. You should have a "TOOL" , we have used "KTAG Master" (you can Google search: what Ktag is).

  8. #8mg23612020-10-23 11:58

    Looks to me like your resurrecting Frankenstein!

  9. #9mg23612020-10-23 11:59

    Nope. You would have to contact your Hitachi dealer.

  10. #10davecampbell2020-10-23 13:04

    That is one of my concerns with buying this machine, there website shows no dealers in Oklahoma!

  11. #11LACHAU2020-10-23 23:33

    Oddly enough, Hitachi has a excavator dealer in OK!! https://www.clboyd.com/ You can search Hitachi Construction Machine dealer by your ZIP CODE here: https://dealerlocator.hitachiconstruction.com/servlet/country=US?locale=en_US

  12. #12mg23612020-10-24 05:45

    Watch out, Vetech63 will have something to say about that!

  13. #13davecampbell2020-10-31 20:20

    It has 4295 hours on it and it's the third blown motor. I think I will opt to rebuild a core motor and then swap it out just in case a manufacturing defect in this motor is causing it to blow up. I'm concerned about the way they pulled the travel Motors to load it after the motor blew. It looks to me like they've left the internals of the hydraulic motors exposed.

  14. #14mg23612020-11-01 05:18
  15. #15Tones2020-11-01 06:17

    Bloody numb nuts, all they had to do was pull the sun gear.Betcha that motor is now catius. If that's the quality of work I think I'd turn my back on it unless you use it as a bargaining chip. Scrap price only

  16. #16davecampbell2020-11-01 09:06

    I'm assuming they have never seen that done or they would not have done it this way. Trying to figure out the fix and how much it will cost to see if we could work out an equitable trade.

  17. #17davecampbell2020-11-04 23:27

    Took those pics to several shops. none of them were very impressed and the bottom line is that this gaff is going to cost about $20,000 to fix. so bottom line is Im back looking for a 200 series excavator.

  18. #18LACHAU2020-11-05 02:15

    Maybe they have quoted you for the whole set of travel unit (including reduction gear box)!!! In fact, you only need to replace the rotating parts. Usually, we will clean it, then check and replace only the parts that really need to be replaced.

  19. #19davecampbell2020-11-05 13:13

    I wish you were in Oklahoma. Part of the problem is that no mater what they replace, both final drives have to be removed and taken into their shop, them reinstalled. That is a sizeable bill right there!

  20. #20Tones2020-11-06 16:32

    I'm thinking you have made a good choice. It's not so much about what you can see but about what can't be seen.