Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi ZX50 slew gear play

Honda_1380 ยท 2020-01-11 12:33

I have some play when engaging/disengaging the slew gear, from the looks of it the play is between the swing gear pinion and the slew bearing. Pulled out the swing gear to check tooth wear, but the teeth doesnt seem that worn to explain the play. Hopefully someone who have seen more gear pinions than me can have a look and see if they look worn. All "getting rid of play"-tips much appreciated!

Replies9
  1. #1Bls repair2020-01-11 13:15

    Any play in gearbox to pinion?

  2. #2uffex2020-01-11 13:58

    Good day Honda Please see attached may help what you are looking for. Kind regards Uffex

  3. #3Honda_13802020-01-11 14:37

    No play in the gearbox internals, removed the hydraulic motor and had a look inside, all teeth in very good condition.

  4. #4Honda_13802020-01-11 14:39

    Thanks, by comparing the "backlash page" with the wear on my teeth it doesnt seem to lack surface contact. And I dont have a clue how to adjust backlash without tearing the hole thing apart. There is no adjustmentoptions on when installing the swing gear that I could see.

  5. #5uffex2020-01-11 16:51

    Hi Honda I have never seen any method of back lash adjustment only renewing any worn parts. KR Uffex

  6. #6Bls repair2020-01-11 18:12

    Were mounting bolts super tight?

  7. #7Honda_13802020-01-11 18:21

    Yes, they were probably torqued with a Cat D10 and secured with red locktite.

  8. #8John C.2020-01-12 11:10

    Backlash between the swing pinion and the ring gear is normal in most cases, especially in mini excavators. How many hours on this machine and have you checked the up and down free play in the bearing?

  9. #9Honda_13802020-01-15 17:38

    There is little to none up and down free play in the bearing, so I think thats fine. Got in touch with Hitachi and sent them the photos. They seem to tilt towards what you are saying, what I think is a fault is considered normal. They would not recommending changing anything based on the pictures, so I guess im just a little sensitiv princess and could have saved me the trouble of pulling the swing gear. So sort of happy that I can save my dollars on parts, sort of annoyed that I just have to live with it. And the machine has 4000 hours.