Early this morning I had to stop at grocery store before a trip to La Grande. I parked got out of my truck headed in only to see a elderly women, late 70's walk around the back of a pickup carrying groceries step right into a ball hitch on the back of the pickup, which wasn't hers. She fell breaking her wrist, put a nasty gash in her leg, groceries hit the ground breaking some jars and eggs. I was right there and have a first aid kit in truck with a blanket, put her head on blanket and a heavy gauze bandage with antiseptic on cut leg, while she broke into tears holding her wrist. Fire department was close by and took care. * Now for any of you that just possibly have a hitch hanging out--do someone a favor, remove it. It might be your grandma/grandpa next time.
I have broken bones that have not hurt as bad as running into a receiver hitch at full stride!!! That particular one is sticking out way too far.
That is just a representation photo.
Weight distribution hitch or hitch is to heavy to remove & not needed but if you need it as a step for your groceries get a smaller vehicle
I have several scars on my legs from running into my own hitch. It is second nature now to swing wide when walking around the back of pickup trucks. My wife only hit it once and now it is instinct to travel wide around the backs of trucks. Did I mention that she is my second nature.
I have always really hated morons leaving their hitches in, after getting hurt, broke my shin bone. That really friggin hurt. Now I swing wide myself.
Around here if the cops want to write a ticket it's north of $100 after surcharge. Living in the salt belt many are rusted tight, need heat to remove. Also have shin scars.
Good job Truck Shop taking care of her! Hope her wrist heals well. I think hitches are mathematically at just the right height to inflict the most pain! I've accidently walked into mine right before I was going to use it and just after unhooking the trailer and had a few choice words. They're like a magnet just waiting for their next victim. Like the mayhem guy on the Allstate insurance commercials. Mines a pintle hitch so a few more sharp edges to inflict pain.
Old people don't heal like a 30 year old, also don't see as well.