I must make a confession, I am a Hoarder. Cat parts hoarder to be exact. Anyway I have a damaged axle housing that I would like to remove the planetary ring gear before scrapping. Any ideas on how to remove this gear? Prefix 525
Those gears are shrunk in. You'll need to cut the housing.
I though that may be the case, I will experiment on this one because it is worthless at this point anyway.
If you need help with your hoarding, feel free to ship me some of the more valuable forestry parts and I will store them for you. No need to thank me, I’m just a helpful guy like that.
I would try making cuts on the housing where the four pins hold the gear. Cut into the pin some. Hit with hammer on the outer housing areas. With luck it will release the gear.
This thread scared me. I was afraid you were going to ship us all some stuff, and I don't know what I'd do with anymore, but... I will find somewhere.
OMG more of US on here, My own shop/barn/yard are loaded where I may need professional help!!
By chance I was going through some old pictures and found some of a 972 I repaired in 2008.
How long was the ring in the freezer? Still looks frozen!
I have a feeling that was packed in dry ice for several hours!
Don't we all have space issues in our garages! I just used up some old foundation tar based sealer and some old 6x6's I had lying around. Nevermind the fact I held onto them for about 5 years before finding a project to use them on. Perfect encouragement for any hoarder. I dream of a junkyard someday..... My wife disagrees. Haha
Liquid nitrogen at around -300F. You only get one chance with this kind of thing and if it doesn't go in first time, you've got to gas out $1000 worth of ring gear and start again.
Are the dowels in before or do you just have to put then in before it expands in place? I could see having a set of pins a couple thousands under size to use a guides.
It's a long time since I did it, but notice I've put a yellow paint mark at about 1.0 o'clock. I would say that this means the gear will only fit in one position. I imagine that at least one of the dowels would be in place first as the risk of having to rotate the gear slightly once installed would be too great. I've got a few more pictures of this repair and if anyone is interested, I'll put them in a separate thread.
We had a cabinet at work that was full of brake shoes and pads we couldnt cross the PN so today i scraped them if i had alot of storage room i would have saved some of them. I did save 2 sets of shoes that look like they fit GM pickups.
I am interested! Have not had time to try and extract the gear but I am going to get at it soon .
972H axle repair continued......... HeavyEquipmentForums
The hoard is consuming me. I sell some of but I mostly just keep stacking it. But at least I am not collecting star wars toys. For example.. mostly cat, there is one jd axle to the right
You need some pallet shelving. I see lots and lots more room if you move vertically
At any rate..... there is a lot of money sitting there.
Vertically yes, but there lies the problem, I will have to fill it. I tell my self I am not going to buy anymore for a while then the next day I find something that is " too good to pass up".
I see a new episode of "Hoarders" coming soon!
I ask for help with my issue seems I found a group of enablers. Or like minded .
Why ged rid of something if you might need it someday for something ?
I had a great uncle that was a hoarder. Born in the depression, raised up up dirt floor poor, nothing gets thrown away. He ran his washing machine drain into a barrel and watered his plants with it. He would go to auctions all over, not bid on anything, and then make a ridiculous offer to buy something that didn't sell for mere pennies, and more often than not, his offer would be accepted so the item didn't have to be handled again. When he passed, there were only paths between rooms in his house. He had an antique thunderbird in his garage that I never laid eyes on because it was piled over and around with 'stuff'. He had every newspaper he had ever bought, along with many he had been given. When I see your barn picture with various parts organized about, I don't see a hoarder. I see valuable parts that have an actual use and market for re-sale. By contrast, my uncle's place was full of junk with few odd rarities of value.
Got into the shop and cleaned up a bit this morning, ALL the scraps of building tin, 2/3 panels, sections of corners(In and Out), J rail, sprues and cutting tabs, etc finally got too me, ALL Gone down to Undrilled FULL panels I have three of and some full size sections of trim. Took three buckets of metal cuttings and offal where had just over 500 lbs, tins not such a good pay right now, got $11.35 for it all, told the guy to keep it as I was glad to be rid of the crap.
You may have just given our Georgia friend a heart attack! LOL
I keep very little, I better have a damn good reason to keep it. For years I lived very portable, I did have a collection of Ford hi-perf parts that was monstrous. One day I decided good by to it and it was gone. If you have to look for it that means you forgot about it and didn't need it anyway. Years ago when I worked for a repair towing company we had a yard with about 150 cars and pickups in it, some on the rare side. The boss/owner was in the yard after a abandon car sale and this guy who had been pestering him for 5 years about two mustang front clips was there pestering him again about selling them/he wanted them for basically nothing to add to his pile of stang parts. Don was and had not been feeling well for several days had had enough of this guy. Don climbed on the crane and dropped a weight on both front clips laying side by side. Don said there you can have them. Guy went haywire. But two days later Don woke swung out of bed and had a stroke, ended up in a wheel chair until he died in 99 eleven years later, Don was a hoarder also. When his third son took over at 29 he decided to clean the yard, a portable smasher came through and crushed everything in the yard. Kevin said we need the money more than we need that junk, The crusher asked about the two Studebaker Hawks which had no engines-both Golden Hawks----Kevin said CRUSH THEM, I'm not ending up in a wheel chair like my dad who was broke but had to keep everything.
Pretty sad ends to what could be money making deals, but some do not ever get that it only lasts so long. We die, machines rust away, interest wanes can all be deciding factors. Mertens quarries had dozens of old Allis machines, NOBODY could get them to give as much as a price to buy and just sat on them, until scrap went ballistic then all were gone. Could have sold them for the same money to interested parties but determined they would not ever be used again. Not a piece was salvaged from them that they themselves did not use up. Saw yards full of HE go to Grossman Iron and Steel, went thru the shredders not five years ago, parts no one has no one can get even if well worn rebuildable but ended up in those cheap priced pieces of crap sent back by China made of expensive scrap sent to them. Down by Rolla MO used to be a Military Scrapper, had DOZENS of the old M4 undercarriage prime movers for artillery transport, he died, kids did not care to set on them and they too went to scrap. A year later a guy that had tried to buy them prior stopped by amazed as all were gone asked to where and about passed out when told. Had offered THOUSANDS for the old intact machines for Museum pieces, and was told NO by the old man, junked they brought a few hundred apiece.
Some old scraps and I can live with, but I probably would blow a gasket if he hauled an old D5B to scrapers or a 1DN , 8PB, 3KZ....
No D5s here, mainly Junk Allis or well aged GM. Did back in the day cut up a number of old Cable Pans that had outlived any chance of Hydraulic Conversion.
I did haul two loads of prepared scrap out of that yard before the crusher. Mainly radiators, electric motor winding/armatures, lots of engine blocks complete and incomplete and a pile of automatic transmission parts. Hauled them to General Metals Tacoma, It was fun watching the magnet drop 8 SBC/BBC at a time from a height of 40'.
I have alot of stuff most is to scrap when i get time but i also have lots of spare parts for the rigs i use. I have several f600s and several 50s and older Jeeps. I dont under stand why a guy wants to save so much but i have done it.