Locking throttle cable on the irrigation pump went bad this weekend. Couldn’t find a good one locally. Took it apart and the hex on the inside of the collet was shot. Figured I’d just make one or have to use VGOS. Got piece of brass in the lathe, turned the OD and bored the center, cut the threads and cut it off to get the taper. Took a piece of hex key and made the end concave right out to the edges and hardened it to make a cheapy broach sort of thing. Pushed it through with the press, cut the slots for the collet and was ready to go again. Couple hours and ready to go. Beats waiting for mail order. Crummy pictures, I know.
ct do they still grow shade tobacco in the river valley
Barely. Most of the fields have gone under. There are still a few growing specialty tobacco. Mostly cigar wrappers. Thousands of acres have gone under to development. I was out by the airport awhile ago and one of the biggest places had knocked down all the barns. No idea what is going in but could even be industrial. All very sad because it is some of the finest soil on the East coast. No rocks and in places the top soil is yards and yards deep. We are losing tens of thousands of acres of prime farmland every year.
soil not as good here but we`re loosing lots of farmable land to bedrooms. excellent work on the small parts
That's quite nice, I was wondering how you broached the part. Cutting threads is always a challenge for me since I'm just a hack with my lathe.