I'm thinking about an Amulet Hoeclamp for my JD 310C. Does anyone out there have one on this particular model?
I have never heard of that brand. I made a thumb for my 310D. I can open and close it with the sliding function of the extendahoe. Having a thumb or clamp is a very nice option. For handling rocks, trees and many other things, I don't know what I would do without it.
yes we have 2 one on a cat hoe and one on a 410 deere. amulet has good response to problems.
Deon, great idea. Would you be willing to share details (specs, dimensions, pictures) of what you made? I have a good friend that is a fabricator that is on stand by to work on a thumb for me. I never thought of using the extendahoe to operate the thumb.
i have an amulet on my 655 ford. i love it the only draw back i have found it difficult to pick something up when it is close to the hoe. one has to position the hoe farther away from the object.
Korydz, What type and model of backhoe do you have? The thumb is not on the hoe at the present but I'll try to take some photos for you on the weekend. I have 5 teeth on the bucket and 4 teeth on the thumb so they fit in-between to get a good closure for small objects. Because the thumb hinges on the same pin as the bucket, I get perfect alignment at the teeth no matter what angle the bucket is rotated. I look at some company made thumbs and notice that the steel is rather small and flimsy looking. I think they can make them that way by using structural steel but I used mild steel so I put more metal in mine. I've used it a lot to handle trees and rocks. I never see it twist even when only pinching on one side.
Korydz, http://www.rocklandmfg.com/Images/PDFs/smart_thumb_shooks_article.pdf Have a look at this one. This is where I got my idea. I found a short video last year but I can't find it today.
Deon, I have a JD 310C, so very similar to yours, with a 24" four tooth bucket. Photos and dimensions would take a lot of the design work out of it for me. I have a good friend (from the East Coast actually) that owns a fabrication/machine/hydraulic shop that has agreed to take on the project. I'll check out the Rockland info too. Thanks!
I actually just ordered one from amulet yesterday for a 310d. I will post pictures when it arrives
I checked with Rockland about their Smart Thumb (the one that Deon used for inspiration) and they no longer make it. The new hoes have have the outside of the dipper extend instead of the inside, which wouldn't work with this design, so they discontinued it. I'm wondering if anyone out there has a JD 310C or similar hoe with the Rockland Smart Thumb that I could get dimensions from?
korydz, I hope you are still checking in now and then. I have managed to get photos and dimensions for you. You will not have the exact same steel as I do but by showing this to your welder he should be able to make something that will work. Most welders are pretty good at designing things once they have the critical dimensions. You will need to measure your bucket width, especially at the point where the main pin passes through. The square tubing that is welded in across the centre is to prevent the thumb from twisting. A 4" pipe with 1/4" wall will also work. You can see a smaller square tube welded to the larger one. That is a stop that bumps agains the dipper stick to prevent the thumb from opening too much. Good luck and send us photos once your done. You will love working your machine with a thumb.
Thanks! That's exactly the info I was looking for. This will save me a TON of pain in trial and error. My welder is actually a great fabricator and machinist as well. I'm sure he'll have this figured out in no time. I really appreciate it.
I also have a 310c w/extendahoe. I am just a homeowner and I want a thumb for some light demo use and brush cleanup. All of the thumbs that I have seen for this BH are hinged on teh main bucket pin. Changing that pin, especially on an older machine by myself seems like a royal pain. I have been thinking about mocking up a thumb that would hinge on some bolts that I drill into the side of the bucket itself. Now I know that it would not open up as far as a pivot pin install, but teh trade off would be an easier install and remove. So what do you guys think, would that be a bit easier to construct and install? Anyone ever see a thumb like that? Or am I just plain crazy?
I think that may work but probably best to weld an ear on each side of the pipe section of the bucket up close to where the pivot pin is. Just Clear of the pivot pin so you can still remove it. A piece of 1/2 x 4 flat plate about 4" long with a 1" bolt through it should work.
How is Amulet for pricing? are they decent, do they hold up? Let me know, thanks guys case 580sm
Is your 310c an extendahoe?
Welcome to HEF, Pat, I don't think you will get any response from Korydz. He hasn't been here in over 5 years.