Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

holding down outrigger boards?

justafarmer ยท 2012-03-23 00:15

We are running with the outriggers out all the time weather loaded or empty, whats the most common way of holding them down? I realize it will only be a problem when the trailer is empty going down the road.

Replies5
  1. #1Randy882012-03-30 14:23

    I"ve already wired them on in the center of the board around the outriggers with a small piece of wire before, like the light electric fence wire, also tied them on with plastic bale string, but around me its now illegal to run empty with the outriggers out down the road, not sure in your area though, might want to check it out. I've also nailed two fence staples onto the bottom side of the board and run a wire or string through the staples and my outriggers have holes in them to make them lighter weight, and run whatever I fasten them to through the holes in the outriggers, that way the tracks don't cut them off as I load and unload, but my outriggers have a lip on the outside edge so the board can't slip off either, I just need to keep them from sliding back out of the outriggers.

  2. #2TCS2012-03-30 20:06

    As far as I know in most States it is over-width to run over 102" and requires a permit,so we do not run with the outriggers out if not needed.

  3. #3justafarmer2012-04-02 09:23

    yeah by the sounds of it you guys in the states can't get away with the extra width anymore. Lots of 9 and 10' wide trailers up here in canada

  4. #4Cantgetthere2012-04-02 10:54

    Those 9' & 10' trailers up here have to run under special permit. Legal width in Canada is 8' 6".

  5. #5muzy2012-04-02 14:53

    Yes ther are lots of 9 and 10 foot trailers. But you are running outriggers=a reducable load. If you are spotted running emty by the wrong DOT on the wrong day you will get a ticket for it. The same applies to strech trailers. Anyways wire or a bungee cord keep them in place while loadding. I found that a board smaller than the outrigger worked best, EI. when cross chaining the chain comes from the trailer frame inbetween the space from frame and outrigger plank. If you go to the outside of plank it will crush. muzy