I’m thinking about getting one for my porta power for removing bushings, stuck pins, etc. I see they are rated by PSI and “tons”. Any experience on what’s needed?
It really depends on what kinda rigging you have. Do you have threaded rod from Joe-Blows hardware or do you have hardened pulling rod? Do you have the proper adapters? What about your drawing apparatus. Are you passing through a T-bar or into a receiver cup. Is everything square or do you have irregular surfaces. I use 22mm B7 rod through an enerpac RCH202 on an OTC T-bar. I use that with 22mm work holding nuts. They're like nuts but stronger and 2 ½ times longer. Sometimes, I'll draw it through a receiver tube. It depends on the work. I have an OTC 30ton twin ram for stubborn pins and an Enerpac RCH50 for ridiculous pins that have become one with the workpiece. Sometimes I'll push from the inside while drawing from the outside. That big one turns out is too much hassle. I usually burn em out before dragging that out. It's there, if I can't get a hot work permit, if I need it. A big heavy canvas tarp would be a good consideration. Get all your rigging in place and lightly loaded, then cover it. The tarp helps arrest things that suddenly let go. I have seen a 6 lb rod fly across a shop. It'll get your attention.
Thanks for the info! I use B7 pipe flange studs, scrap round stock, bar stock and mechanical tubing for making “fixtures”. If something big is really stuck though, a sledge hammer works better than my fixtures. Actually, most of my work has been automotive and most could be done in a press. Sounds like I’d have to invest in some serious hydraulics to be better than my sledge hammer.
I have an old twenty ton that is painted Blackhawk colors and have used it extensively over the years. It's probably the best tool for pushing or pulling bushings into place in the field. I have built plenty of rigging for pulling things like the center pin from a Komatsu equalizer bar and even had to use it multiple times to pull cylinder liners out of D8 and D9 engine blocks. If you are only doing automotive work and have a floor press handy you can probably do without it. If you do a lot of field work on big iron, you would likely need to at least have access to one.
^^^^ This right here. I saw a guy get hit in the face with a 50ton push pull ram. One of the welded tabs it was on pulled into and flipped over the piece they were working on. Broke his nose, eye socket and sinus cavity. The guy was tough as they come and it only put him to his knees. But after the adrenaline rush wore off in the ER, he was in bad shape.