Called my case dealer today about my serpentine belt, and the tensioner. $65 for the belt, and $235 for the tensioner. Screw them I say, they can keep their tensioner, I'll get one online for about $100. I'll get the belt from them though, because I need it for the weekend. Online, the belts are about $30.
you think thats bad....i hope you don't ever have to buy a radiator for a Peterbilt with a CAT under the hood..$$$$ as for CASE's we have found our CASE's are far cheaper to fix and repair then any other brand owned, the best part about them too is they never need fixin' HAHA
Our company had to buy a hood for a Peterbilt with a cat under the hood. That was about $12K.
i'de believe it
Welcome to the most expesive, commly replaced part on a cummins 4-390. When I worked for a case dealer, that was the most common part sold for a cummin. Very reliable engines
I was told that there are a lot of similarities between these and the 6cyl Cummins used in the Dodge pickups....would there be any chance the tensioner is the same?
The tensioner looks identical, but it's sprung the wrong direction.
Sometimes you can pull the spring out , turn it around and reinstall it .
The one we looked at (Gates brand) was pressed? together. To dismantle it was to destroy it. Hate to smash a $100 piece that hadn't been installed yet. My customer needed his machine the next day, so he went to Case and bled the cash.
I agree with dirt digger; Case machines are usually more friendly to the wallet than other machines. That tensioner is an exception. And from a mechanic's point of view, not operator, I'm of the opinion the Case 580K is at the top of loader/backhoes for reliability and ease of repairs. Darn good machine, built like an anvil.
I agree 100%. This is the first time this tensioner has ever been changed. It has 5600 hours on it.
I find you can get much better deals on parts if you go elsewhere than the dealer. Especially online.
I had the same problem with my 580SL. Go to NAPA. Parts are interchangeable with the Dodge Cummins. The tensioner was half the price of a Case.