Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hoover Dam Bypass pics

DPete ยท 2009-10-11 17:06

I thought these were tremendous pics of what our country is still capeable of once we get past the enviromental issues that hold back so many projects. In other words, we can still kick some *** ( now you leave that alone mods)

Replies50
  1. #1EGS2009-10-11 17:42

    Pictures do not due that justice. I seen that in the winter of '07 when the arch was not there. It was just HUGE!

  2. #2Speedpup2009-10-11 18:23

    great pictures thanks :usa:usa:usa

  3. #3TimHay2009-10-11 18:25

    great pictures thank you for shareing that last is pretty cool

  4. #4heavylift2009-10-11 20:00

    cool ..... but I don't think I would like standing out there... Is the cabling temporary or is it part of the bridge...

  5. #5Tanstaafl2009-10-11 20:12

    It's all temporary. Once they complete arch I'd imagine they'll ctart removing the cables. When it's complete there should be nothing above the road deck. Should be very, very impressive.

  6. #6Midwestern4x42009-10-11 20:14

    More pictures....

  7. #7DPete2009-10-11 20:30

    All I have, I'm gonna ride my Harley across it if the guard rails are high enough

  8. #8davidd2009-10-11 20:56

    Hoover Dam Bypass Nothing like that in S. Georgia. Thanks for the pics.

  9. #9Tanstaafl2009-10-11 22:09

    Are those 42" high wooden guardrails good enough in that picture or do you want wait until they put the steel and concrete ones up?

  10. #10stock2009-10-11 22:59

    Brilliant,saw the start of the project on discovery a while back and I really hope they do a follow up,it's a fantastic structure and a credit to any construction crew where ever it is built. Well done to all involved,May we hope to see some more pictures......

  11. #11I AM IRONMAN2009-10-11 23:16

    Looks like an amazing project! What kind of cost is involved in building the bridge and bypass?

  12. #12JDOFMEMI2009-10-11 23:59

    Thanks for the pictures. I have been wondering about how it is coming. Looks like it is close to the closure pour for the arches. That is something to be proud of. It is scary to see the reservoir behind the dam so low on water though. We need some wet winters to fill it back up.

  13. #13RonG2009-10-12 05:07

    Call me candyass but I could never work up there.My knees shake looking at the pictures.LOL.I have all the respect in the world for those tradesmen. I watched the webcam while they were building the Penobscot Narrows bridge,we called it the "Bucksport bridge" from Verona island to Prospect really up in Maine and I marveled each day as it progressed to completion.One of the towers has an observatory at the top and I went up in the elevator one time when I was in the area.The top floor is 425' from the bottom,not sure if it is sea level or what but I practically froze when the elevator door opened,all I saw was glass and some grab rails and the lady attendent.....lol....AND the defibrillator hung on the wall there. There were two floors above the elevator shaft.........yeh....I went up the stairs but I was hanging on!!It sure was nice to get back on the ground.Ron G

  14. #14digger242j2009-10-12 07:13

    "Ass" is only a three letter word, and it's never been on the auto censor list, so you've got nothing to worry about. As for the pictures, Holy *%&# !!

  15. #15DPete2009-10-12 07:52

    Glad that meets your criteria Digger because over moderation and censorship are bad things. I'd hate to have them come between us. DP

  16. #16stock2009-10-12 10:22

    Well this old buzzard is a flightless bird likes to have two feet on the ground,and that's the main reason I became a muck shifter "no working at heights".

  17. #17727flyer2009-10-12 12:36

    727flyer Very nice pictures. I've seen a program on TV about this. Very impressive. :usa

  18. #18alan627b2009-10-12 14:55

    It's really coming along nicely. Looks a bit different than when I saw it 2 years ago. I see the water level behind the dam is till down quite a ways though... hope it goes back up again someday.

  19. #19Truck 5052009-10-12 18:56

    The white ring around the lake is the highest the water level ever was during a flood. I believe that took place in the early 80's sometime but I am not sure. If I recall correctly, the water level has only been that high two times, once on purpose to make sure the spillways worked right and another during a flood. Normal pool is below that ring probably at about the level you see in those pics.

  20. #20alan627b2009-10-12 20:50

    And here I thought that white ring was indicative of the level the water usually stood at, thus keeping the rock clean or unweathered by the elements. If that is wrong, I stand corrected. Anybody know for sure? alan627b

  21. #21TSK4152009-10-12 21:12

    Nice pics. It is quite a sight to see in person. http://live8.truelook.com/face/sqface.jsp?func=live&name=/hooverdam/bypass/nevada&pan=-18.126364&tilt=-12.359636&panfov=8.94104&tiltfov=6.705781&overlay=default&skin=default&useapplet=true&time=1175566615476&width=640&height=480&quality=65&catalogname=catalog&imagemap.x=-852&imagemap.y=-639&imagemap.w=2345&imagemap.h=1759

  22. #22tonka2009-10-12 21:27

    RIP Pat Tillman!:usa

  23. #23Truck 5052009-10-12 21:38

    The white "bathtub ring" is the result of exposing rocks that were at one time under the water and collecting mineral deposits. A clear glass, for example, dipped in water and then allowed to dry will have mineral deposit "spots" on the glass. http://www.hprcc.unl.edu/nebraska/Lake-Mead-2007.html

  24. #24EZ TRBO2009-10-13 18:38

    I'll second that!! I haven't heard much lately, but haven't looked either. I know a few years ago they had a crane topple over. The pour for just the one pillar was over $1millon. Its an amazing site to see thats for sure. Trbo

  25. #25stock2009-10-14 01:09

    :usa:usa I too will add my sympathies to the family of Cpl P Tillman,the naming of a bridge is poor recompense of their loss under the circumstances,a very sad situation.:usa:usa

  26. #26Eddiebackblade2009-10-25 06:55

    Those picture are simply breathtaking!!:thumbsup I have visited the Dam about 8 years ago, but was completely unaware of this new crossing. Always fancied another trip and this will definately be on the list. I totally agree that a big capital spending project like that is the best way to showcase the incredible skills of any country and bring about pioneering techniques that benefit all. I honestly couldn't see anything outstanding like that ever being achieved again here in the UK, the spirit and skills are there and so are the huge projects but standing in the way is the never ending cycle of 'pen pushers' and 'do gooders' (and possibly the fact UK plc is completely broke!) To the men up there on that bridge all I can say is they must have 'Balls that Big they push em accross in a Wheelbarrow'!:salute:usa

  27. #27Clawed Backster2009-10-25 08:16

    Due to all of the regulatory garbage they have to put up with now, I wouldn't be surprised if the bridge cost more, and took longer to complete than the dam. Even taking inflation into effect. I am talking about the time from serious proposal to completion.

  28. #28DPete2009-10-27 00:25

    Just back from the project, they are pouring the colums to support the deck. Also big road work on Hwy.93 South of the dam, adding 2 lanes in very rough country. Sorry no pics of the road work because there was nowhere to stop

  29. #29DPete2009-10-27 00:36

    Also for those who have not seen them, the generators on the Nevada side powerhouse, there are 8 on the Nv. side and 9 on the Arizona side. Spillway and spillway tunnel entrance one on each side ( the red car on the left of the bottom pic will give you some scale ). There is also a lower pair of tunnels ( no pics) used to divert the river during dam construction

  30. #30Bobcat1902009-10-27 22:08

    wow i cant even imagine the cost...

  31. #31EddieWalker2009-10-28 21:43

    I never heard of this and enjoyed seeing the pictures. One thing that I never thought of, but noticed, was the porta potties. Obviously, you need a place to go when it's that time. I wonder if they have them at every location, or if they just take care of business where they are and anybody below is just out of luck. Truly impressive. Eddie

  32. #32fboy3192009-11-01 08:51

    road by on our bikes last year and was ammazed, it still is:usa

  33. #33Wolf2009-11-01 11:35

    just to think that they built that whole dam in the 1930s is amazing. its quite a feat, and if you look closely at it, the architecture is an art deco masterpiece too. kinda like golden gate bridge.

  34. #34stayhumble2009-11-09 18:47

    America the beautiful...

  35. #35xcavater2009-11-12 01:47

    Cannot wait to drive acrossed it!!!

  36. #36clansing12009-12-16 20:01

    Hoover Dam water levels I was curious why the water levels at Hoover Dam were so low. Is this a safety precaution?

  37. #37DPete2009-12-16 20:36

    No, Just several poor winters. The high water mark is from the only time it went over the spillway I think in 83'. We need some good winters to fill it back up

  38. #38bear2009-12-24 19:22

    Bridge work was probably one of my favorite jobs. Pretty much every skill you have is involved at some point and the ride to work at the top is something that will wake you in the morning. The only bad thing is trying to secure stuff when the wind gets up, and thunderstorms... they tingle if they get real bad. Personally if my knees were still in half decent shape I'd probably see if they were hiring. If you take care of your fall protection there's nothing to worry about. Falling on some cable systems can be fun, of course I've always held to the feeling the only times a person TRULY knows they are alive is when you are in real fear for you life. Yep I'm an adrenaline junkie and I can't get rid of the need.

  39. #39watglen2009-12-25 07:56

    wikipedia had the dam cost at 736 million adjusted to 2008 dollars. The design and construction budget remains unchanged at $240 million. The Colorado River Bridge construction portion of that budget is $114 million. The $240 million budget consists of $100 million in federal funds, $20 million each from the states of Arizona and Nevada, and $100 million in state bond funds. Of the approximate $130 million in bond funds ($100 million plus interest) advanced by the states of Arizona and Nevada, approximately $96.3 million has been repaid. For those interested, here is the website. http://www.hooverdambypass.org/ Merry Christmas.

  40. #40bigrus2009-12-25 08:00

    The new Bridge An amazing piece of engineering

  41. #41Dozerwrench2010-01-12 09:44

    water levels Quite a project . The water behind dam , Lake Mead is currently about 80 feet below the normal level . Due to drier conditions up stream and also increased water consuption from lake itself , water levels are on a downward trend that started 10 years ago. Last time it was this low was in 1966 when upstream dam was built and was filling to form Lake Powell .

  42. #42mtb3452010-01-12 13:24

    after spending 14 billion on a ditch that doesnt work in boston i was begining to lose hope after viewing that bridge i am reassured we can build things great

  43. #43stock2010-01-12 14:00

    Was that the big dig?

  44. #44plantman.uk2010-01-12 14:10

    awesome construction....it was on the discovery channel awhile back when they were constructing the columns, very nice piece of work

  45. #45heavylift2010-01-12 14:21

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Dig

  46. #46IL j.o.a.t2012-10-10 09:51

    I have been inside and those are massive generators, they hum along and I was looking at the flatbed in the picture for a size comparison. They are big...

  47. #47Extractorfan2012-10-11 16:16

    Hi all, I visited Vegas in 2009, went out to Hoover Dam saw the new highway built almost to the canyon, no sign of the bridge though. There was the beginnings of the foundations where the bridge arch springs from high on the canyon wall and an excavator suspended on a derrick crane above the foundation on the edge of the canyon,(I may have some photos of this will post if so.) Would the excavator have been used to clear away the waste rock from the foundation? Would the rock have been blasted, anyone know. I am back in Vegas next week my daughter is getting married there, so I intend to go back to Hoover and see the bridge for myself. Unfortunately just missed Minexpo! Keep up the good work on these large construction projects, nice to see the Stars and Stripes flying on your cranes shows you are proud of your work. Ex tractor fan UK.

  48. #48Ryanrb252012-10-15 16:59

    Impressive!

  49. #49wnydirtguy2012-10-20 22:07

    found some pics I took while visiting a few years back. The dam and bridge are two amazing things to look at.

  50. #50stock2012-10-21 06:54

    Thank you good sir nice pic's