The company I am with are looking to get a respectable marking out system with a heigh degree of accuracy,GPS was suggested but for our budget the accuracy well it vague,so we have decided on a total station.there are quite a few second hand recalibrated units available ie Sokkia ,topcon Lica,pentax etc .How ever we have been offered one of these brand new for the same money "Kolida 445 total station Most of the research I have done hasn't shown to much wrong with this make but I would like your in put on these instruments in general and how they have worked with your operations. sorry for putting this here but I want to get as much input as possible.
I have a Lietz/Sokkisha SDM3E that has served me well for road layout, distance, elevation, etc. for about 10 years. For what I do, I have only ever needed one prism - they can see very far. I didn't get the computer with mine, but I can do the math. If you get a complete kit with computer, safe to say that your little sister can tell you the slope angle or horizontal distance, etc. What do you want to know?
I would look at Trimble