I've been wondering if anyone has ever added a blade to the front of a 200 series trackhoe. As I'm cleaning up this land I keep thinking how much easier this would be with a blade, basically a half blade similar to that of the mini excavator
I’m sure someone some where has . Would I recommend it no . The drive motors aren’t the same as a dozer.
Do it like the pipeline guys do. A piece of pipe or beam chained to the bucket. Let the hydraulics do the work.
I know on Liebherr and Volvo, the lower frame has a completely different layout up front to support the dozer blade, not only that the turning joint or swivel has additional passageways. I don't think it's as simple as plumbing a thumb or hammer. Good luck with whatever you find to work.
I'm with Bls on this one. You could buy or rent a dozer for the price of hydraulic motors and planetary hubs. It may be the flashest dozer but good enough to get your job done.
I agree with Junkyard, I mostly have had a thumb on whatever machine it was and have usually toted around a 12 inch piece of heavy gauge H beam cut the same width as the tracks. Most scale guys ignored it and treated as a piece of the machine. I always tucked it up to the tracks on the trailer and curled the bucket to sit on top of it and chained it down. If I didn't have one I have used a log, a piece of foundation and a length of pipe. I used the beam for the last inch or two when doing a footing whenever possible to leave a nice flat consistent surface for the concrete guy's. I have used it to final around houses and to buff up clearing projects although if I had a 300 say, I would grab a 15 - 18 foot log that we were going to cut for firewood or chip and buff my way out as we went. It is a long way from a dozer but it is handy.
I appreciate the replies... I've gotta find a thumb then I'll get a piece of I beam
One other thing the thumb machines I am referring to are hydraulic thumbs. I prefer compound thumbs because they have the ability to chase the bucket pretty much all the way through its arc. The 300 I am running now has a thumb that the cylinder is pinned to the back of the thumb... it still works just shortens up the working radius when using the thumb as the thumb can’t follow the bucket edge past parallel with the inside of the dipper. If it did the cylinder would strike the stick. The compound linkage moves the cylinder away from the stick same as the bucket linkage in back
examples:
It is possible to put a blade on a 200, but like others said it's hard on final drives and drive motors. I looked for this post mostly to see if i could find it. I got the impression the the blade was mostly used as a stabilizer.
I appreciate that info I had not heard of a progressive thumb I had planned to find just a manual thumb... this gives me more to think about
a hydraulic thumb is the only way to go. a progressive link is nice , a regular hydraulic thumb is great too. a manual thumb for clearing is not very productive
I saw a Zaxis 200 with a blade on it years ago... we discussed it a bit here... HeavyEquipmentForums
Google a search for Kobelco ED195 Bladerunner. This is a 200 size machine and has a decent size blade attached. I don't know anything about it I was researching undercarriages when I found it. ML
Interesting enough I actually just found this machine last night