Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Horse riding arena

Mavrickxxx ยท 2010-08-01 22:58

I am bidding on screening the rocks out of dirt for a horse ridding arena. I propsed digging one foot of material out screening it putting fabric down and then putting screened material back over top. It's an outdoor arena 100 by 200 . They didn't have the fabric as part of it and was thinking only 6". Itold them only screening 6" the rocks would migrate back up fairly quickly an a foot would be much better and the fabric would be a much more permanent solution. Is any one else have any ideas

Replies11
  1. #1qball2010-08-01 23:04

    well, i have been around horses my whole life and have built a few rings. we always start with a foot of ca-6, or grade 9. then, 4 inches of screenings, all compacted to 95+ percent. then, a 3 inch layer of sand.

  2. #2Mavrickxxx2010-08-01 23:18

    What's ca-6 or grade 9 unsure of what those materils are and u don't use fabric

  3. #3qball2010-08-02 00:13

    ca-6 is crushed limestone with fines. we have never used fabric because out drainage issues have not required it.

  4. #4Mavrickxxx2010-08-02 12:18

    Do the stones migrate to the top over time

  5. #5stumpjumper832010-08-02 16:44

    what about harley raking and rock hounding, maybe rototilling and repeating?

  6. #6Mavrickxxx2010-08-03 13:38

    I thought about that I don't own any of those and I have a portable screen I bought I'm trying to justify. Besides I'm going a foot down.

  7. #7Pecord Exc2010-08-03 16:57

    sand isnt the best for footing either. We use 6" of crushed stone then 6" of crusher run followed with 6" of this stuff: http://www.footingfirst.com/ No fabric, no need

  8. #8Dualie2010-08-04 02:42

    exactly what we do here. but recently started using fabric under and 6"-8" of river wash sand.

  9. #9rabbit2010-09-15 12:56

    I think 1 foot is a better choice in your case. Fabric is nice if you have a water problem and or your trying to keep vegetation out. Don't forget you or someone will after time be in there discing and regrading the area. 6" isn't enough for that. In our rodeo area we are discing it up at least 3 times a year. Rocks are still being hand picked.

  10. #10Deeretime2010-09-15 13:04

    Definately the foot of excavation is better, and i have also found that mixing 50-50 sand and native material is the best for arena's because ur biggest enemy is compaction, it will cost more but will be the best riding arena around.

  11. #11rabbit2010-09-15 14:28

    Couldn't agree with you more. Also makes for a softer landing.