Well I've stated previously that I was going to school for Diesel tech. Well it turns out the program is about worthless. They've been through 4 instructors in two years and the current instructor is an auto tech guy that has never even worked on a truck (he told us that lol). With no other diesel schools within 100 miles, it's on to plan B. I switched over to the construction management program at school, it's an associates program. Most of the classes are at night so I'm thinking about taking up my local IUOE on the apprenticeship program while going to school in the evening. I figure working in the field for a few years is a good way to work my way up into management. If the associates isn't enough education, I can transfer into a four year school once I get my associates. Now to my question; Is this a good industry to get into? What have been your experiences with your management? Their education or work experience I mean. If I could do civil engineering I would, I just simply don't have the math aptitude. This is by no means a last ditch decision. I simply feel that it would be better to have construction as a career (which I love) and keep working on trucks as a hobby. Thanks in advance.
A construction management degree will definitely help with getting a job as there aren't that many people with one out there. Most of the older people in construction just have experience and no actual degree. It will help you skipped ahead in your career by about 10-15 years. In the winter you could do estimating to keep busy so it will be a little more steady then a mechanic or operator.
Construction management is a great degree. I went to Wentworth In boston for 4 years and am not a Site Super doing Site construction. Most of what they teach you is book stuff but you will pick up alot of stuff and understand the buisness end better. It definately will move you along in your career alot faster.
Well I figure getting my 2 year Associates degree in construction management will get me going and then I can transfer over to a 4 year school. Finding a school that offers a construction management bachelors degree is a bitch, though lol. I'm in Eastern Missouri and the closest schools are either in central Missouri or Illinois. My hometown in Georgia is very close to Southern Poly which offers it, so I guess I could always move back.
Come to find out I do have a school that offers a bachelors in CM, but it's in Illinois about 40 miles away. Thats not too bad but my current school is more convenient. So what do you guys think; Get the associates in CM AND get a bachelors in business management or just get the bachelors in CM?
I've got a B.S in construction management, if you're willing to travel its not a bad gig depending on what aspect your working with it. Honestly if I had it to do over again though I'd go for some type of engineer degree, Civil or whatever field your looking to get into, alot of companies are looking for this now on top of experience and the management degree doesn't mean as much. Theres no replacement for field experience. The other thing is, do you really want to be in construction management? What aspect of it do you think you would enjoy and what do you know about the job itself? There are alot of guys that do it or want to do it for the title, not the job itself, I've seen quite a few project managers wash out because they worked their asses off to get there ( or lied) and when they got there they didn't understand the job and hated it or couldn't do it and got fired. Alot of times you'll make more money in the field and have less headaches. I worked on industrial sites for 2 1/2 years and every moron out there thought you had the best gig ever and there was nothing to it cause all they saw was you walking around with a clip board, theres a little more to it than that and not one of them could do what I was doing. As far as getting into estimating I haven't found a company thats hiring estimators without a ton of experience, I'd really like to get into estimating but havn't been able to do it yet because i don't have the experience. Construction management sounds like a great "thing to get into" but you better be willing to travel to work (if you want to make any money), go to a decent school for it, have an idea what industry you'll try to get a job in when you get the degree, and get as much field experience as you can in the meantime.
Well I used to have a buddy that was a project manager (think that was his title) for one of Georgia's major contractors. I used to ask him tons of questions so I guess you could say thats what I'm basing my opinions on. All of my experience is with grading/road construction though as thats what this contractor did.
Great asperations!!!!! Be prepared to do alot of paperwork (sometimes you will think you are an accountant). Also be prepared to butt heads with subs, other contractors and your own field employees. If you are not an aggressive self motivated person learn how to be! I dont mean to sway your choice but in my opinion this is one of the most important traits to posses along with as much field experience as you can get. There is no substitute for field experience. If i were in your shoes i would call around to your local contractors and find out what schools they are recruiting from and use this as a basis for your choice in schools. Some contractors will actually offer a "shadowing" program where you can help out a someone for a few weeks and get a taste of what the career is all about. As said before, an engineering degree seems to be what several companies are looking for these days. I know it will be harder and more time but it may be worth it in the long run. Plus you will be more deverse. The shadowing will help you to see if this is an option. You sound like a GO Getter so i am sure you will find your way. Just remember that more $ = more responsibility and more time.......... in that order. Best of luck to you!
Thanks for the words of encouragement!! The only thing I hate is that back home in Georgia, I was more tied in with and new all the contractors. Here in St. Louis, I know of Fred Weber and NB West and thats it, lol. Even those two I don't know very well. May have to move once school is done.