Cat uses the same 3046 engine in the D3, some 4's, and some 5's. However the 3 has 70hp, the 4 has 80hp and the 5 has 90hp. What do they do to bump the horsepower in each machine? Injector pump? Thanks for any help
Mostly the fuel setting. Later Bob
In some more extreme cases it can be the injectors, higher compression pistons, & turbo (if the engine uses one). If you have something in mind about installing a 3046 from a different model into a your machine there is a way of identifying the differences between the 2 engines. All you need to do is post the actual installed S/N, and the S/N you plan to install.
Thanks for the reply. I figured it must be just more fuel. I didn't see anything else that would make a difference. Can a D3C pump be adjusted(turned up) to get 20 more horsepower? We did this all the time with diesel tractors long ago. Of course that was before computers controlled the machines!! Thanks, Scott
No I was just looking at spec sheets on the 3C , 4C and 5C series iii dozers. All have same engine, same displacement, naturally aspirated but different Hp. Figured it had to be more fuel. Just bought a 1999 D3C series iii, LPG, Hydrostat. Wondering if I can bump the HP. Thanks, Scott
Before answering we really need to look at the spec of the iron in the engine you actually have in your machine, and then compare it with the spec of the iron in a 5C of a similar age. It's often not quite as simple as cranking up the fuel.
Lgp
with the displacement control of the hystat pumps/motors, I'm not sure what more HP would do for you really. The drive system and hydraulic pumps are all kinda matched to the engine. not sure what the OP is wanting to do... get more power from a D3, or an engine swap between models. Our 315B also uses that engine. 315B is turbocharged. I can't recall if the D5G is... I think so.
I don't believe that any of the C models were hydrostatic.
Cat enjoys the little things, slightly changing cam timing, actually decompressing the higher HP engines to drive more fuel in, higher rate turbochargers, and fuel, LOTS of Fuel.
Hi yes the d3/4/5c serries 3 can be hystat. Mine is a d3c xl hystat, 2001 year. I think that the d4 is non turbo but the d5c is, not 100% on that,
nzpatch, I stand corrected! The c series small dozer that I ran years ago had foot pedal steering, and used steering clutches. Learn something new everyday!
All good, you are also right as a there is also a d3c series 3 in my town that is only 2 years older than mine that has pedal steering/ clutch brake. From about 1997 on both were available .