the Iron Mule uses a master and caliber to disk for brakes. There is 12 ft long hdy hose with brake fluid. 1/4 inch with npt. I was getting ready to order one and was going to call tech to see if the hose was compatible with the juice. I am sure I am not the first? Thought I might look here for some "free" experience.
The hose shop can tell you what hose is compatible with what rubber. I have seen charts in the hose manufacturers book. Simon C
I am trying to call now.
Sheet,,, either they dont stock it or wanted to drop me like a hot rock.
Wow, got the whole crew working on a brake hose. I think the original used brake fluid but I might go back and tear the caliper right out. There was clear looking fluid in the old hose and rusty water in the master, assumed it was brake juice but they used what looked like common hyd hose. It was so damaged I thought it rusted from in to out but maybe from out to in as the fluid looked clear and couldnt,,, wouldnt have brake fliud from decades in it look good and the hose looks like common 2 wire. Has npt threads and adapters from master and the caliper. Looks oem
Could put hyd jack oil in it? The old master was super seized, a dab of water in it, figured maybe it had brake juice or maybe someone added it and seized it??? Didnt we have Trevor owners here? Wonder where to find mule manual?
Could it possibly use hydraulic oil for the brake system? My Kubota, JD and some other systems use the same hydraulic oil for brake fluid (oil). Check with the original manufacturer's literature to be sure.
I would like to.
I'd guess it's probably regular brake fluid. This machine is likely from the early 70's so won't be too complex. As far as the hoses you need to get them made at a brake shop. It's special hose so the brake fluid doesn't eat it. I was surprised a large industrial hose shop had every kind of hose possible except for brake fluid. Thankfully there was a brake and clutch shop in town that made hoses. A little expensive considering it's not very big hose. Still cheaper than getting an OEM hose. The brake shop actually makes brakes hoses for the shop that sells OEM parts. I never checked but pretty sure it would have cost more with an OEM part number.
I am going to tear the caliper out of it and see whats in it. When I read why brake fluid over hydraulic it always ends up at dot 3 and racing down the mountains in a maz and the more I think about it this aint that and the old fluid was really good inside the rotted outer hose. Might even been what seized the master in the first place,,, didnt read it and added brake fluid.
I was loking for a forum where some guys had one and maybe even the book that said so.
Have you posted up on ForestryForum.com? Someone over there may be able to help in the logging section.
I was working on that and seemed to have problems. Thanks for the reminder
I need a jug of 032. Meant to get a pail last week. I might get it working with the 46 I have and its heading in to summer but I bet running some out and topping the master off with hyd jack oil would be dandy too.
I dont work on loaders much so,,, it does seem I have seen tranny oil in them,, maybe they used brake fluid when they used drum brakes and old style wheel cyls??? This has a big heavy double sided disk brake caliber on the drive shaft prior to the differential, might be bolted right to the yoke.
Ok,,, I have had better mechanic days and should have waited to buy a pricey hose. Found out,,, it is brake juice and the caliper was cruddy seized and pads worn out. My internet is miserable and slow, let me get some pics. Brake caliper porn.
Made wrench. Had to impact it apart.
be careful with automatic trans oil around brake systems. We had a guy here that worked underground. Their grader used transmission fluid in it’s brake system. He put some in our champion grader. In a couple days it swelled every rubber in the system$$$$$$$
Broke my whl cyl hone. I really need some parts or a generic replacement. I need seals pads at minimun provided it would hone up and I havnt got that far yet. A car caliper might near work but its in a real butthole spot to do fab work.
Mico should have all the repair parts but they can be pricey. If there's even the slightest pitting they're done. Can either get new or put sleeves in most but sleeving isn't cheap either. I had to get a new Mico master cylinder for the clutch on the grader. The booster was able to be rebuilt. It wasn't a cheap fix. Then I had to get a new slave cylinder shortly after. Darn equipment!
I worked on it with a cylinder hone. I am right near getting it put free. I might score a different hone, it's getting very close. I was trying to figure out how their parts system works. I was looking and getting close.
The brake shop I went to did a lot of dealing with Mico. They showed me the catalogue and there were dozens of different part numbers for very similar products. A lot of times parts are interchangeable but I was surprised there were so many different part numbers for very similar components. The master cylinder they got me was slightly modified to work the same as the OEM one.
I Was hoping someone here was familiar. I was blurry looking last night.
Had to make the tool.
What is it for?
Putting the caps on the cylinder. Or should I say plugs as they are internal thread.
Like an open wrench. That makes sense.