Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Terex Slotted Nut Tool can’t find pictures

Greasyfitting · 2025-04-15 22:24

Hey everyone I'm working on a Terex TA300 haul truck . I have a slotted axle nut I need to get off in my Terex service manual has the tool part number 15503031 : Grooved socket wrench. I look the tool up online there's not really any pictures , or socket size information. If anyone has used one or found an alternative fabricated or socket type ,and size that would work the info would be appreciate it.

Replies15
  1. #1.RC.2025-04-16 01:25

    I think this is what the tools for those nuts look like.

  2. #2laidback012025-04-16 01:38

    I had something like that on a dana axle I worked on before. It was called a spindle nut socket or similar. Here, I found pics! and I think you can buy stuff like this on ebay... at least here an amazon link . Course, these are all for smaller Dana 80s and such. I have no idea what size that is, but i'm guessing big is sort of an understatement you may need to measure the jaw width with some calipers to sort out how big a socket you need. Oh, here's the real link you need: https://www.mcmaster.com/products/drive-sockets/socket-shape~4-pin/

  3. #3thepumpguysc2025-04-16 09:58

    Didn’t Ford use something similar.?? Castle nut..?? But seeing u can’t find the size anywhere, these suggestions are mute..

  4. #4stinky642025-04-16 10:01

    Got 2 of that top socket in my box from long ago, think they were for 70's Chevy 4WD front hubs.

  5. #5DDoug2025-04-16 10:03

    Op needs some calipers....digital ones. and a pencil with some paper, the Pix ain't cutting it.

  6. #6laidback012025-04-16 10:19

    yeah, I have a feeling McMaster-Carr will have the size. you saw they go to 130mm ~5.1 inches, right? that's pretty good sized. Course, that could still be tiny compared to the problem, I just don't know. As to price comparison, find out what the original tool costs, and go from there. https://www.peri-parts.com/15503031-terex-original-groove-socket-wrench-374.html

  7. #7HydroMech2025-04-16 17:40

    Look at the nut closely, Should have a N number on it, such as N 04. that is the size socket you need. this company has what you need Installation & Repair Tools | Whittet-Higgins Co Tools to repair and install Whittet-Higgins Products www.whittet-higgins.com

  8. #8LCA0782025-04-17 16:44

    My '89 Ford Bronco had similar nuts on the 4x4 hubs but I'm sure your nuts are much bigger (haha!). Can you get a spanner wrench on it? No idea if these are recessed and you truly need a socket. Better close up pics with dimensions will really help us help you.

  9. #9thepumpguysc2025-04-17 16:46

    Mine is a 95’.. that’s what made me think about “a Ford”..

  10. #10Greasyfitting2025-04-17 18:40

    Theres a large gear surrounding the nut so you can only get a socket on it you can see in photo . We got it off with an air chisel. Terex service manual says removing the axle nut you have to hear to 200 degrees Celsius to melt the loctite , then remove using the tool or use suitable power tool we obviously went suitable power tool route lol. Another branch has the tool to put I back on though.

  11. #111466IH2025-04-17 21:29

    Have made sockets like that many times over the years. A cheap socket and some keystock with a welder works great. Just be careful using an impact after making a big vertical weld on a socket. 2 things I always keep around are cheap wrenches and cheap sockets so when I have to go to cutting or welding on them I don't lose any sleep over it.

  12. #12HarleyHappy2025-04-18 05:23

    Think I posted this before but between cars, truck, bikes and equipment, I have a whole drawer of homemade wrenches, sockets, cut up sockets, wrenches, modified wrenches, sockets, special thin wall sockets. Not to mention, a boatload of 10mm sockets, some even 12pt. Everytime I open that heavy ass drawer, I think it’s time to get rid of some of that crap. Will I ever need a clutch adjustment tool for a Shovelhead?

  13. #13Vetech632025-04-18 08:12
  14. #14LCA0782025-04-18 08:18

    The air chisel is quite good a spinning off nuts. It's the easiest way to remove the radiator fan in my old 7.3L Powerstroke.

  15. #15Greasyfitting2025-04-18 22:57

    I never had to mess with that deal lol