Have a AGT bush hog for a ~21gpm skid steer. It make sense to use the 1/2" lines it came with? Info in my hydraulics book says 3/4" is the proper size. I priced new lines and it'll be near $300, so not exactly cheap.
What pressure? I would guess you need 3/4
What is the flow rating for the motor on the bush hog? Manufacturer may be just cheaping out, or may be intentionally using smaller hoses to limit flow. I doubt if you will see much change in performance between 1/2 and 3/4 hose size.
What size are the auxiliary tubes on the skid steer ?
Maybe 500 psi
18-22 gpm
1/2” would be fine or go 5/8” but anytime you get over 1/2” price doubles. I usually make 1/2” hoses for 20 to 25 GPM.
Discounthydraulichose.com is a good source if you know what you want. Joe H
Price isn't much different between 1/2 and 3/4. Just the 1/2" is already there on the mower, so its cost is zero. Just seems small per the charts I have.
Yeah, been using them for a few years. Seems like shipping went up, but I may be misremembering.
Better check your book. I'd guess pressure is 3000+. 20 gpm at 500 psi is less than 7 horsepower. Not even a good pushmower.
Pressure isn't part of the equation. Just flow.
Pressure isn't part of the hose size equation, but it is an important part of the cost of the hose you buy. Single braids need not apply. Double braids may be iffy depending on your skidder.
It's on a skid steer, not a skidder.
If your aux. lines on the skid steer are 1/2" and the lines on the mower are 1/2" why is it even a question? You wouldn't gain anything going to 3/4" hoses if the skid steer lines are only 1/2". A high flow machine would likely have 5/8" or 3/4" lines.
Shipping on everything has gone up, except sea freight went down. And service went down as the price went up. Fedex is a joke, good luck with anything coming through them. Joe H
Without getting into all the math involved in flow/pressure, resistance, what size are the fittings on the motor of the attachment? If they're -8 (1/2"), go with 1/2" hoses and fittings. If they're -10 (5/8"), then go with 5/8" hoses/fittings. I mean, if the motor fitting threads are 1/2", sure, you could use -16 (1") hoses, but what's the point of doing that when those hoses would be sending oil through 1/2" ports?
Yes, but question was on size, not hose type. I use 100R16 or 17 usually for all purpose hose. It's a 3-4k psi hose depending on which. There's better, but start going from like $3-4 a ft to 10-15
-10, but 5/8" stuff is same or more than 3/4", so no reason to not use 3/4". Maybe cause it's not as common, dunno? A neck down of a fitting is minor compared to 12+ ft of "necked down" Ie using 3/4" hose on a 1/2" inlet/outlet would flow much better than it all 1/2"
They are either 5/8 or 3/4", I forget and I'm 800 miles away to check. Same setup is used whether it's standard flow (21gpm) or high flow (31gpm)
I don't think you'd get more flow from a larger hose if any part of the circuit was a smaller size. If I use a 3" water hose on a pump and reduce it to 2" after 50' or right off the outlet, I think the flow would be dictated by the smaller diameter regardless. Reducing a larger size may create more heat too.
It's about friction inside the line, and length, and pressure. It's the same regardless of the material flowing through it water oil or electrons. For long distances your hose setup should look like the Eiffel Tower getting smaller as you go. Having a small bottle neck doesn't do much on pressure side as the flow just speeds up through that and continues on, long distance of bottle necks will effect it. Suction side bottle necks are really bad even short. I haven't took the time to look at a calculator but considering I use 1" on 35 gpm 2000 psi max I'm guessing you should go with 3/4. Mine does have way longer of a run though.
Yes. Was starting to wonder if I was looney or something. Would expect everyone on here to understand basic hydraulics.
The problem with hydraulics is they are very basic and simple till they are not.
Not necessarily. There was a discussion several years back concerning welding cables. Flow through cables is often compared to water flowing through pipes. 99% of the time larger cables are used for most of the distance and smaller cable is used to extend the cable longer and for the stinger. Some thought that the larger cable off the welder would carry more current further than if smaller cable came off the welder first. Turns out it doesn't matter. The smaller cable limits the amount of current and heats up the same no matter where it's placed in the circuit. If you took a 2" water hose and reduced it down to 1 1/2" and then went back to 2" you would have less flow than if the entire run was 2" for the same overall length of hose.
Wd, there is math, formulas, and calculators for this. It a known exact science. I don't care enough to explain it further.
I realize that but most components use a port size that corresponds to the proper size hose for the flow rating. Very rarely does the size of lines change in their length. Why spend extra money on larger hose if it's not necessary.
Often not.