Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advise. I've been a heavy equipment mechanic in South Africa for 12 years, specifically Caterpillar. I want to move to America and build a future for me and my wife, something that's not possible in South Africa. Any advise on how to get started of finding employment or the process of moving over would be appreciated.
I'm not in the business, so I can't be much help from that angle, but I wish you lots of luck and welcome to America, when you get here!
Doing it legally is a long process, do you have that taken care of already? Doing it under the table is quite possible, as demonstrated by thousands every day... I'm familiar with both, what would you like to know?
California expensive to live & Nevada getting up there. Peterson/ Cashman Cat website they're all looking for mechanics pick a state check out the options. Best of luck & welcome.
I have a month of work for you in Tennessee. If you came over for a vacation, you could work for a month (or more) and use your free time to check out the area for potential permanent living/working situations. I think visas are good for 3 months.
I'd see if you could arrange something through the Cat dealer network. It would really help if you worked for a Cat dealer now or at least dealt with a Cat dealer.
Local coop has a stream of South Africans on ag visas. I don't think any of them have been able to get immigration authority. Best of luck on your attempt, the folks I've met from your country have been good.
Its a crazy world eh? Illegal border jumpers are flocking in and at the same time, someone who has a in demand skill, wants to work and build a future has to do back flips to try and get in. ?! Nuts
Thanks for all the replies Yes, I definitely want to do it legally. If I'm allowed I'd like to stay. I have contacted a couple of Cat dealers, found one so far that might be able to help. I applied and wanting for a response back to see if I'm worthy. I will be contacting more, I can't just rely on the one. If any of you got some suggestions of dealers you know have sponsored before please let me know. Could help narrow down the list. For now I'm focused on the south, mainly Texas. I don't do well in the cold but if push comes to shove will branch out more.
Heard on another forum you no longer have postal service in SA ? True ? Joe H
Hi all @Joe H , we do still have a postal service. however they are so useless nobody uses them. We have to make use of private couriers to send anything you don't want to get lost or stolen. I had some family responsibilities to take care but am back track again. I did get feedback on the job i applied for but as soon as it came to visa sponsorship they couldn't help. I have phone several dealers since and even CAT themselves but no joy so far. After many hours of research I have found that I would require an EB 3 visa sponsorship. The hard part is finding companies that sponsor that visa. The other option is to come over on a temp work visa and transition to a permanent visa. So far I can only find AG work on temp visas. Updates to follow and any advise will be appreciated.
Judging from what I hear from our dealer in regard to finding qualified help, I would think that most any dealer would be doing back flips to get someone with 12 years of dealership experience, including a sponsorship. Good luck to you!
How about CAT proper, not a dealer ? The main corporation.
Kelly Tractor, Cat dealer based in FL. They’re also an IMT drill rig dealer. They had several guys from South Africa. Damn good techs too. I believe one recently retired but the other is probably around my age and still working. I bet they’d jump at somebody with your experience. They do run a yard in TX that services the IMT’s. Let me do a little digging and see if I can share some contact details with you. Might be next week before I hear back.
He said he contacted Cat in post 11.
I've worked with tons of illegals
People or guns? LoL