Im in the middle of restoring the ol' girl. I managed to get the drum of on one of the hubs but the other is seized on big time. What have others done to get past this problem? There is not grub screw holding these on. I backed off the adjusters until almost they came out in my hand. Used Jimmy Bar (prizebar) and large screw drivers to move it a little, then jimmied it out evenly, then off The one I have off shows plenty of meat on the shoes Drum has a bit of a lip but not enough to prevent the drum to be retained by the shoes. I tried putting a hydraulic jack on the lip of the drum and putting a bit of pressure on it, then released it and did the lip of the opposite side. Tried belting it with a solid piece of wood, then a bit of wood resting on it (with jack pressure on it also) and thumping it with a steel bar. NO MOVEMENT. Im a tad scared of fracturing the drum (or worse) if I belted it with a club hammer or something like that cause these old loaders are not so common over here now and trying to replace a drum would be near-on impossible. If someone has some other thoughts, I'd really appreciate it. Cheers
Are there no threaded holes in the drum to run a bolt into and onto the hub?
Hi there Kiwi, I can sympathize with your problem, a couple of tricks are heat and shock. Get that drum smoking hot and smack it with a brass or lead hammer. Usually works for me. R
I am not sure how your 65C is designed but I have a Hough HA about year 1954-55 and I have one hub/drum easily pulling off and the other is stuck incredibly tight! I loosened the 2-3/8 inch retaining nut on the axel and have opperated it for hours of hard use expecting it to work loose during use but no such luck yet,,, I have trying pounding the snot out off the axel with a big hammer and a brass disc in earlier attempts, didn't happen. So if I have better luck later I'll shoot you a hint or two,,,
Im Kiwi Will but had to change name etc cause of loss identity & password etc. (NOT stolen from this site) Scary! Anyway, I finally got this drum off by using friend & his porta-power. Great kit them Port-a Powers. Sad about the cost. Prizing and a BIG hammer didn't work & I was reluctant to heat it cause it was all tickety-boo with a new paint job! It was rust that seized the inner edge surface to the hub (planetary gear hub). What I have done now, is after cleaning it up pretty throughly, I used a spray on "fish oil" to prevent the rust from forming again. Had to protect the brake shoe surface contacting surface though. I'll let you know how that works in the years ahead during the next 20 yr service when the drum needs to come off again..
I have an H60-D Hough--probably similiar machines. Any idea of what year I have??? What kind type of oil for the hyd. other than the lift arms--thinking the tranny type oil???? Thanks for any help. len
I have two port-a-power sets and yet to get mine loose. But I am expecting to make a thread into hub type puller much like the harmonic pulley pullers for engines. In the mean time I'm just leaving that nut loose hoping the stubborn thing will work loose while I'm driving it.