Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hough 65C Tranny Issue

JTWAT ยท 2013-07-21 15:49

Hey guys love the forum. I have a Hough 65C that I am restoring for use around my property. The issue I have is that the drive shaft from the torque convertor spins slowly or stops when I first start the engine. If I shut the engine off and restart it, the shaft will spin as it should and the machine will move. I have changed the fluid and filter. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Replies6
  1. #1oldtom2013-07-23 21:37

    charge pump is charging convertor look like oil is draining back to sump ,so when you first run it has to suc up oil and is on prime the sec time,des it happen all the time when been running and you shut down and restart?

  2. #2JTWAT2013-07-24 11:36

    It only does this at first start-up of the day. Its ok after that.

  3. #3kshansen2013-08-09 10:01

    I'm assuming you have the correct amount of oil in the transmission. Couple things I would be checking out. Are there breathers on the converter and transmission? Make sure they are clean. Another thing I would check is the suction line from the bottom of the transmission to the pump on the back of the converter. It could be leaking and allowing pump to suck air. Not familiar with the 65's but most of the Houghs I dealt with have a screen in the bottom of the transmission where this suction line attaches. Also seems I recall there being a check valve included with that suction screen to hold oil in the suction hose for the pump at start up.

  4. #4JTWAT2013-09-01 19:10

    The suction hose from trans. sump to pump is tight and the screen has been cleaned. There is no check valve in it though. I have noticed that when it is about to start working, I hear a short whine like a starving pump. Then all of a sudden the shaft starts to spin with engine RPM.

  5. #5kshansen2013-09-01 21:19

    Won't say this is a proper fix but seems someone had a problem like this on a rough terrain crane our company owns. What we found out one day when crane would not move and we called the plant it came from to ask if they ever had a problem was they told us to reach through a hole in the floor boards behind engine and we would find a petcock like on the bottom of a radiator used to drain the coolant. They said just start the engine and open the valve till oil comes out then close it. What this did was to bleed off the air on the pressure side of the pump. This machine has been used for at least five years like this that I know of. So if yo can find a spot to install a bleeder valve like this on your old Hough it might do the trick for you. A little more elegant design would be to install a ball valve in a tee on the pressure side of the pump with another hose going to say a fitting in the drain line back to the transmission. Then when you start the machine have this ball valve open and after it runs for a few seconds you should be able to close the valve and be ready to go. This will also keep any oil in the bled off air in the transmission nice and neat. My guess the real problem is the pump is just getting worn and having problem holding and picking up it's prime. The above idea may make this old machine usable for as long as you need it. Like I said the machine we have has been used for years with this problem.

  6. #6JTWAT2013-09-02 21:48

    The loader has a petcock on the top of the hydraulic oil cooler behind the radiator. I will try to bleed it and see what happens. Great idea, Thanks