Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hough 90E transmission

CaptainAnalyzer ยท 2016-04-12 15:51

Hi, I am going to take a job on in the fall involving splitting a 1973 Hough 90E wheel loader that originally had an DVT-573 but has been repowered with a 6v71. Information the customer provided me with: Machine serial: 3560307U002118 Transmission model: 923259-C92 Transmission serial: 1788 Apparently the transmission grinds in 3rd gear. I assume it is going to be a powershift trans in this machine. Any ideas where to find a service manual or parts for this unit? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replies3
  1. #1John C.2016-04-12 18:55

    It is a power shift countershaft transmission. Basically just a big cast iron box in the middle of the machine. Torque converter is bolted to the engine so you don't have to pull it to get the transmission out. I used to cut a hole in the cab floor plate behind the seat mount. I put a strap over the top of the cab and through the windows and use a come along to drop the box. We used to take everything loose and drop them out the bottom. I don't recall having to jack the machine up to get it out either. The gears are always meshed together so if you have grinding noise you have a shaft spline or gear spline stripped off.

  2. #2CaptainAnalyzer2016-04-13 09:37

    I appreciate the future insight, is there anyway I could get a hold of the service manual however? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3Heavey Metal2016-04-13 11:08

    I overhauled one 20 years ago best I remember I got the parts at the komatsu house. Don't remember a manual but do remember that the reverse idler goes in first cause I had to tear it back down. 3 rd gear clutches and a ground sleve hub in the torque was what was wrong with the one I did.