Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hough h60d cummins jf-6-ci

grampbrown ยท 2023-09-16 12:52

Hello, have a 1965 hough with a cummins which has run great since I've had it(2002), but recently has been running for about 4 minutes and stops dead, the motor, no coughing, sputtering, etc, just stops. I have drained the tank, looks good, replaced 2 filters. A pf-132 and a 3107. I think the 3107 filter was an add on filter, not sure. I pulled the small metal filter from the 'block" component (I'm not hugely technical) that the throttle pedal hooks to. That was fine. I cleaned it, but it wasn't to bad. New fuel, new batteries, new filters, does the same thing. I start it with ether for diesels, previous owner recommended. Not that it makes it right. But that is pretty much how I have always started it. It has a cold start panel, but it doesn't work. Would like to fix that sometime, future. Anyway, this is a weekend warrior machine I use mostly for snow removal. Long driveway. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. My next thought was could it be heat related? The engine doesn't seem hot after the 4 minutes, except for the exhaust side, but could the water pump be causing an issue? Again, I'm not a huge technical person, but I just can't seem to solve this. Thank you for your help.

Replies5
  1. #1mekanik2023-09-16 13:49

    I have not seen a Cummins J series in a lot of years. I only ever worked on one. There should be a small Knurled knob on the front of the fuel solenoid very close to where you found the metal filter screen. Screw it in to manually open the fuel solenoid. This eliminates an electrical problem or the solenoid coil breaking down internally. Pictures would be a help.

  2. #2kshansen2023-09-16 19:50

    I just happen to have an old 1958 J series operation and maintenance manual. Looking through it at the fuel pump section where I would expect to see this knurled knob it looks like some of the earlier versions might not have had the knurled knob but just a slotted headed screw. But yes it should be near the small solenoid and the cap for the filter screen. Attaching a drawing with red arrow pointing to the screw to try turning, note if this does keep the motor running you will have to back it out to shut it of as this over rides the solenoid. PS sorry about the misspelling of solenoid!

  3. #3grampbrown2023-09-16 21:12

    Thank you, I'll give it a try.

  4. #4grampbrown2023-09-16 21:17

    Thank you. So if this works, you both are saying the shutdown valve needs rebuilding/replacement, is that correct?

  5. #5mekanik2023-09-17 00:35

    There could be a issue with the wiring or the shutdown valve solenoid could be failing.