Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hough HU payloader hydrolic pump

Feral Donkey ยท 2018-03-20 14:38

I picked up a real bubba rig from a guy in January. It's getting warm enough outside to work on it. What I have is a Hough HU payloader that some guy put a 1970's 350 Chevy in it with a 4 barrel Holley and glass packs. Then he spray-bombed it red white, and blue. 'Merica! Lol! The price was right. It's got a leaking crank seal. The hydrolic pump is attached to the end of the crank. The belt needs help too, as you can see so this has got to come apart. Does it just slide off of a shaft and key?

Replies7
  1. #1Wes J2018-03-20 14:52

    I bet your wife was happy when you brought that gem home! The pump likely has some kind of a flexible coupling connecting it to the crank. But, if bubba has been there, all bets are off.

  2. #2kshansen2018-03-20 15:42

    Hard to say what kind of coupling Bubba managed to find out behind the shed. You will probably just have to take bolts out till the pump falls off, just don't drop it on your toes! I have to wonder if the crank seal leak has something to do with the pump driving off the front like that. If it is not some kind of flexable coupling it could be doing all kinds of damage to the end of the crank. I don't think Chevy ever planed on a large front mount pump like that!

  3. #3Feral Donkey2018-03-20 16:23

    I'll amputate this weekend and figure out what bubba did. You like his twisted belt? Lol! I'll make sure there's some sort of flexible coupling.

  4. #4Tones2018-03-20 16:25

    You can't get a true aligned shaft with that setup. The leaking seal could be caused by a buggered end bearing. I have seen boat motors driving off the front of the engine but all had flexible couplings, same as you should have if it's driving off the rear.

  5. #5Feral Donkey2018-03-23 18:54

    Update. If you get the rear grill loose on a payloader like this, don't try to pick it up and cary it by yourself. It's really really heavy. I safely dropped it away from my toes and it sunk into my frozen yard. Let's just say it didn't bounce. Lol!! I'm going to get a few guys and maybe a cherry picker from Harbor Freight to put it back on.

  6. #6Feral Donkey2018-03-23 19:09

    I got the coolant drained and radiator off. Then I took off the bolts that mount the pump to the big steel yoke they have bolted to the engine block. Looks like they did use a flexible coupling. I need to remove hydrolic hoses in order to get it apart.

  7. #7Bigchev852019-09-04 00:47

    I realize this is an old thread but I ran across it when searching google for hough payloader model HU. I'm parting out my old machine and figured I'd check and see if you were interested in any parts off of it. It does have the cab top.