Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need help figuring out exactly what this is.

Coyote Jack ยท 2018-03-20 17:51

There is a truck mounted push shovel not to far away from where I live that I am interested in. It needs a restore but I think it would make a great piece to take to car shows. Does anybody know what it is and what it might be worth? Assume that it doesn't run because it looks like it has been sitting a long time. Jack

Replies9
  1. #1td14steve2018-03-21 06:52

    looks like a t35 bantam from here

  2. #2ryanmueller2018-03-23 09:25

    I'm with td14steve, looks like a bantam

  3. #3Coyote Jack2018-03-23 11:17

    Thanks guy's. I have been searching high and low for a photo of a bantam that looks like this and no luck. The single rear axle throws a wrench into every photo that even looks close to it. Jack

  4. #4John C.2018-03-23 17:59

    Compare the shape of the shovel house to others. This shape is typical Bantam which is also similar to Koehring. Shoves of this size were mounted on anything they thought would work in those days. This basically evolved into the articulated wheel loaders and loader backhoes of today. Even though only a single rear axle I've been told these units were surprisingly stabile to operate.

  5. #5Tones2018-03-23 18:04

    The carrier part looks like a WW2 GMC 4X4 .

  6. #6ryanmueller2018-03-23 20:55

    My 1952 bantam abm-53 is mounted on a reo m-44

  7. #7crane operator2018-03-24 08:35

    I wouldn't get real hung up on saying its not a bantam, because you can't find pictures of one mounted on a single axle. Like John c. says, they mounted them on anything they thought would work. It may not even be on the first truck its ever been on.

  8. #8Coyote Jack2018-03-24 09:34

    That's what I was wondering. I thought it might have been manufactured the way it sits. But a few people have suggested that it is a creation of somebody thinking outside of the box. I am getting the impression that it is not a diamond in the rough. More like a labour of passion if I get it. It's still winter around here so my trip to talk to the current owner will have to wait for a few weeks yet. Jack

  9. #9ryanmueller2018-03-25 00:54

    Just because it's rough looking doesn't mean it doesn't work. This 1947 Lima was abandoned in this swamp for 10 years and I hooked up two batteries and the thing fired up like I ran it yesterday and I walked it to the road and onto a lowboy. The owner didn't think it was possible. He thought it have to push it onto a trailer. Now you don't always get that lucky but you never know