Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hough Payloader Model HA

Azgoldrat · 2005-07-19 01:26

Just got 2 Hough HA Payloaders given to my Mining/prospecting partner and I and I am looking for outhers that might have one of know of persons with one.. Any Info will help... One has a Flat head Waukesha engine model FC-291 #949937 (gas) rear steer. It appears to Be a late 40's or early 50's vintage Orig. color looks to be IH red and I think I can just make out the IH logo in the peeling paint but was painted over yellow one or 2 times ... I am looking at restoring both to use at my lode Mining Operation(gold)here in Arizona that most of the equiptment is between 1898 to 1950 that we are rehabing so they should fit right in....Here is a pic of the one with the Waukesha engine I hope..........................Thanks for any and all replys, AL (A.K.A) Azgoldrat

Replies116
  1. #1Ole JIM2005-07-25 16:02

    Cute!--I wish I had ONE--I remember seeing those yrs AGO!--just Right for Snow Removal--YA!--I really Like That!--& I Hope YOU Strike it Rich using that Cute Machine!--Best of LUCK to YA!--Ole JIM--

  2. #2mic2472005-08-14 04:42

    Hough Payloader HA I am looking for someone who can send me a pic of the carb setup on a Hough Payloader HA. Mine has the gas engine and looks like it is missing the breather, if there ever was one. It is leaking gas out the carb and you have to cover the opening some to get it to idle. Even then that is all it will do. If you give it gas, it dies. Any help out there???? I also have a parts HA, it is designed a little different and has no engine. So if anyone needs parts, I might have some. Thanks, Matt [email protected]

  3. #3D10R2005-08-15 13:13

    Probably, if it wont idle, it needs the carb rebuilt, and adjusted some. it sounds like your carb is in dire need of a rebuild, and good internal cleaning. it helps like you wouldnt believe on the 2 stroke stuff I fix, and I'm surprised some of the stuff I see actually hadnt been ruined by how its operated, and how it looks.

  4. #4mic2472005-08-15 16:12

    Payloader I'm sure it needs rebuilt. I have taken it off and cleaned it. But the gasket was shot and i am guessing the nail looking thing stinking out the back is supposed be the pump? Like a diaphram on a lawnmower? Anyway, it is in bad shape too. Does anyone know where I can get the parts to fix this carb? Or another method of fixing it? All it wanted to do was pour gas out the carb even before i took it off. Probably from the bad gasket and not working pump. Any help would be great.

  5. #5D10R2005-08-16 00:42

    probably, your best bet, is to take down any model numbers you can find on the carb, and go to napa, ask if they have rebuild kits for the carb. From what you describe, the carb definately needs rebuilt.

  6. #6mic2472005-08-17 14:58

    Hough Payloader HA Have managed to find a little writting on it. It seems to be a Zenith carb. I have looked on the net and the ones I have found look pretty close to it. The only other numbers I could find on it was 8B. But I haven't found any info on that model. I did see that carbs close to this one came out on some Case tractors and some Fords. Even found something close to it on old cars. But not the exact one. Have you dealt with any of the Zenith carbs before? I did find out the peice I had originally thought to be like a pump was more like an adjuster to adjust the amount of fuel flow. Whoever worked on this before had put a nail and some silicone in there trying to make it work like a pump. Thanks for your help. I think I may have that part fixed by using a screw to control the fuel flow and now all I need is to make a gasket and hopefully this thing will work like it should.

  7. #7mic2472005-08-17 15:35

    Payloader Carb I have manged to get some more info off the carb. It is a Zenith B6 and the tag reads 11570. Anyone got any info for that?

  8. #8Azgoldrat2005-08-17 21:22

    My HA has an oil bath aircleaner mounted just above the coil and behind the HYD.oil tank then a metal pipe runs across the top of the engine and down the side and connects to the air cleaner and carb with rubber hoses and clamps.. Will try to get some kind of pic for you soon.... If you want to send me an email with a Phone # and best time to call, I can call you while I am standing at it for any tips or clues you need if you will share what you have too.. I also restore Model A fords so I might be able to help with tips on rebuilding the Zenith..... As far as the gasket goes how good are you with a exacto knife and cork or rubber???? An air leak at the bowel will cause it to run as you discribed also the govener and the carb work together and are connected together and it will not run right till set correctly. Also my engine is a Waukesha 4 cyl model FC-291 how about yours?????? .......AZ

  9. #9mic2472005-08-18 08:04

    Hough Payloader HA I got some gasket maker last night and cut out some to fit. Have the carb cleaned and put back together hopefully to where it needs to be. Was really looking for pics to show what may be missing off the assembly....such as the air cleaner cause there wasn't one on it at all. If you get a chance to take some pics of yours, you can email me at [email protected] Might be able to go by your pics to make something. My engine is a 4cyl Waukesha FC, but cant make out any other #'s past the FC. Overall it sounds like you have the same setup. I want to thank you guys for the help. I'd like to get this thing going as soon as possible. Probably going to be the weekend before I get the carb back on as we have been overrun here lately with rain storms. Anyone else with pics of thier's they want to share would be great too.

  10. #10Dusty2005-08-25 18:36

    is the mine making any money? or is it just a hobby?

  11. #11Userbucky2006-04-07 09:32

    I know I'm a little late in chiming in here, but I want to let you know that I have ORIGINAL owners manuals and parts manuals for this and many other Hough "H" series loaders. Email me if interested, otherwise Iwill be putting many on eBay in the coming weeks. Thanks, Anthony

  12. #12Houghowner2007-10-25 19:15

    Hough owner Hi Guys ! I am hoping some one out there can help with my Delema. I purchased a 1950 Hough M 100 it has a 4 cylinder Waukeshau engine, I need a block or a runner or sell it as Is. I has a rebuilt started at the cost of 420 Canadian. I would love to keep it, it works perfect for snow removal. Any help out there on this one. Houghowner aka Todd [email protected]

  13. #13Countryboy2007-10-25 20:20

    Welcome to HEF Houghowner! :drinkup

  14. #14wrenchbender2007-10-25 22:15

    mic247 wrote "It is leaking gas out the carb and you have to cover the opening some to get it to idle" Hi mic247, if you're having to cover the top of your carb to get this machine to idle it's probly sucking air some where. This could be at the base of the carb or maybe around the intake gasket. To do a quick test start it up and while running shoot WD-40 around the base of the carb and/or the intake manifold gasket area. If either changes the RPM of the engine you have located the vacum leak. But if this has no effect on the engine it could be a little deeper as in a valve not sealing as it should. Just noticed I'm LATE very late with this response!

  15. #15alan627b2007-11-16 19:24

    I got the carb kits for my Zenith TU4C pony motor carbs here http://www.carbsonly.com/ If you can get the number off of the carb, usually on a small round riveted tag, they can probably help you. Good luck, hope you get it in shape. You probably ought to go over to Redpower, the IH forum. Register and head to the costruction equipment section. Lots of good folks there. http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/index.php alan627b

  16. #16buckchills2007-12-07 17:33

    Ha I'm going to look at a HA tomorrow-stuck engine, starter in basket w/missing parts, but new hydraulics. Someone started fooling with it and quit. Equipment dealer only wants $600 for it. I gotta look for that price... If you had success with your HA, I'd like to hear about it. C>

  17. #17Houghowner2007-12-07 19:01

    Well not much maybe we can make 1 out of 2 :Banghead I have found no one that has one, the starter I found a local fellow who rebuilt mine it cost around 400. I would sell mine for 1000.00 it ran good untill the block blew out, a handy little unit. I have a photo if you would like to see it. Houghowner

  18. #18Countryboy2007-12-09 18:26

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums buckchills! :drinkup

  19. #19okumaguru2008-01-21 15:14

    Hough I hadn't stumbled across this thread yet. I have an old Hough which I am trying to identify in another thread. There is a person in Pacific who has one similar to that one for sale. I didn't ask him the exact model but I know it was propane fueled and had the same tire configuration as the pictures you posted. It had a manual transmission also. I have been trying to learn as much as possible about these old loaders but I'm not having much luck so far. Someone "engineered" a V461D engine in mine so pictures won't be of much help I don't think. Mine runs great but has a lot of "gremlins" from shoddy work I have been trying to get worked out. I think mine is actually the next size bigger than yours but the serial number was ground off of the frame in the engine change and doesn't even have a dash in it so I have no way of identifying it. If you find a good source of Hough information please let me know. Thanks Tim

  20. #20audigger2008-02-18 21:02

    these[ little] loaders i have seen these loaders droped into ship holds to push loose materials [sugar etc] had one once didn,t like how they got stuck on the steering axle mine had a continenal motor if i remember right .

  21. #21N.CarolinaDozer2008-02-18 21:55

    Looks like they would be easy to tip over or forward. Take talant to run one of those things. I'd be affraid to lift a load up to dump in a truck.:eek2

  22. #22cletrac2008-03-07 18:27

    http://columbus.craigslist.org/grd/597990418.html Here is one for sale.

  23. #23Countryboy2008-03-07 19:25

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums cletrac! :drinkup

  24. #24redj2008-05-10 22:21

    Hough payloader I just found this web sight. This is my first post here. I see that you are in Arizona. I have a Hough payloader in Tucson. My father has had it for as long as I can remember. I would like to sell it if anyone would be interested. I am not sure if this is allowed in this forumn but I saw you were in Arizona and thought I would let you know. Thank You

  25. #25Phil VM2.52008-06-06 03:15

    Hough Payloader HA ... I think ! Hello, sorry for my "englih", I am from belgium Europe ... I will be the owner in some days of a Hough Payloader HA I think. I have drive it for the first time yesterday to move some heavy parts. I have must learn to drive it but I was quite easy. I think I did find a gearbox with H, neutral and low gear a command to move the front tools the battery 6 Volt is dead and the mecanic start it with cable and a 12Volt battery what must not be the best way ... It turn quite good when hot but need quite a long time tu run with the choke, but as with all engines I have to learn ... I will try to put a picture of it so if somebody have informations, it will be good for me. there is also a knob that you can turn situated near the seat between our legs, not yet find what it is this is the first question ! thanks for this site ! Philippe

  26. #26Phil VM2.52008-06-06 05:59

    find a picture ! hello, see there http://www.landmania.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59260 if you can help me, tel me more ! regards, Philippe

  27. #27Phil VM2.52008-06-09 05:07

    I find ... hello, I have had the time to look a little more to my future Payloader, the knob between my legs when sitting is simply a throtle ... I think I can also confirm that it is a 6 volt, so I am a little surprise that the starter do not turn more quickly when a 12V battery is used whith cable to start the motor ... more later regards Phil

  28. #28PAULIH3002008-06-11 19:30

    Hough HA http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=58597 This is what an early HA looks like.Its mine. The throttle is supposed to be on the floor like a car,not between your legs.Sounds like somebody has been Mickey Mousing that rig.

  29. #29Phil VM2.52008-06-12 01:48

    hi Paulih300, thanks for the answer. he have a throttle at the floor also! I try to take some more pictures next week. I have try to find a number or type or year on it, no succes do you know where to look ? Phil

  30. #30PAULIH3002008-06-12 13:06

    More... HAs were made from 1947 to 1970.The loader arm setup changed in the mid 50s to a 4 cylinder/Ram arrangement from the older 3.The first HAs didnt even have hydraulic dump control,they were gravity dump using a locking mechanism controlled by a long rod.The serial number should be on the dash,and/or left loader arm (straight type).The engines were Waukesha FC (133 cid),transmission 1 speed forward,1 speed reverse,plus a high/low range.Front wheel hydraulic brakes.1000 lb lift capacity (1947-mid 1950s),2000 lb capacity (mid 1950s-1970).Diesel models came in mid 1950s (Waukesha FC diesel engine).Delco starters,Delco and Auto Lite distributors,Zenith carburetor.The cast rear counterweight/grille originally had a cast circle atop with a "H" Hough brass plate screwed in,after around 1952 the counterweight lost the circular cutout in favor of cast in letters "PAYLOADER".These rigs turn in a 6.5' turning circle.

  31. #31Bartrams Garage2008-06-13 08:12

    Paul, I couldn’t have said it better myself. I believe that production of the first generation Model HA Payloaders ended in 1951 (“H” brass plate on the counterweight). The second generation production ran from 1952 thru 1954 (“PAYLOADER” cast into the counterweight). And the beginning of the third generation was in 1955 (4 cylinder lift introduced). I am not sure of the production changes after that. I think that once Hough/IH made the change to the 4 cylinder/Ram lift arrangement, only cosmetic and power train changes were made. What years was the torque converter and then the hydraulic drive introduced? Ray

  32. #32PAULIH3002008-06-13 11:39

    Torque Converter I believe the torque converter came along when the 4 ram lift system did.That would place it middle 1950s.Hough really made an advancement with the fluid coupling between the clutch and transmission...smoother starts,and less wheelspin/lugging the engine when encountering a hardpacked pile of whatever needed to be loaded.If only Hough had incorporated 4wd into the HA they would have created a near copy of the skid steer type loader that would come along 20 years later.

  33. #33PAULIH3002008-06-13 11:42

    Now that we are discussing the past,I am curious as to what happened to Mr Frank G Hough himself.I know he passed away in 1960,but I am rather curious how it happened,and wether he was still an active part of his former company that International bought (in 1952) while still leaving him on as the company's leader.

  34. #34Phil VM2.52008-06-18 07:27

    some pictures hi, 2 pictures more Phil

  35. #35PAULIH3002008-06-18 12:29

    Thats a 3rd generation HA.Mid 1950s-onward.Funny,they put a car rearview mirror on it.

  36. #36PAULIH3002008-06-22 18:16

    Here's an HA For Sale http://nh.craigslist.org/bar/709187620.html

  37. #37Phil VM2.52008-06-25 03:11

    hello everybody, any idea of the wheight of a Hough Payloader H25 ? I have try to place it on my trailer, but the tires look flat ... Philippe

  38. #38Bartrams Garage2008-06-25 06:48

    Philippe, Early model model HA's weighed around 5,000 pounds. The later model H25's are probably closer to 6,000 pounds. If you use a 10,000 pound trailer you should be OK. Ray

  39. #39Phil VM2.52008-06-25 08:45

    hi Ray, thanks for the answer my trailer can take max 6000 pounds ... Philippe

  40. #40Paylomatic2008-07-23 04:49

    Phil VM2.5 , Do you have any more pictures of yours ? I bought a IH payloader in march I guess mine is not a Hough because it was made in Canada . Im trying to find out what year it was made . It is looks a bit newer than phil's . Is there a way of breaking down the serial # so that you can ideintify it ? I know mine has the 153 International engine in it . 12 Volt electrical Delco starter & generator . Im not sure if it had the propane system is original to it , or was added later . but it was on propane . I converted it to gas . I got a old updraft Marvel schebler off a lincoln arc welder and made a adapter plate for it to fit . Also , there is two brake pedals , was this just for more stopping power , or was it to control individual wheels ? I'll post some pics of it in a day or so .

  41. #41Phil VM2.52008-07-23 04:55

    hi, I will try to make some more picture as soon as possible I have to move it there for and some difficulties, but I will try. I have found also a other intersting site for this kind of toy, have a look at : http://www.redpowermagazine.com/for...2d75e323fbd4fad0cfd11d725f&highlite=payloader it is about a very good restauration of an old payloader maybe it can also help you Phil

  42. #42Paylomatic2008-07-23 06:54

    Thanks for that link It had slipped by me . Sure is a nice resoration going on that one .

  43. #43Bartrams Garage2008-07-23 16:52

    The machine that is being restored and documented on the Redpower website is mine. I appreciate your comments. I started this project exactly a year ago. I will be adding additional pictures to that thread in a couple of days. Additionally, I will post pictures to this message board in the near future. Ray

  44. #44Phil VM2.52008-07-24 02:14

    Hi Ray, thanks for your pictures and comments, it is not easy to find informations for that toy. So, everybody who wants to work on a Payloader will look at your comments. it is also funy to know that there is on earth somebody who take time for that quality of work not for a Bugatti or Mercedes but for a Payloader. I receive mine from a artist who did see it at work with an old man using it to work with cool and have admired so much the mechanism that he have say, I must have it. When the old man die, he have buy it. He was living in Belgium but returned to Danemark, so because no place there, I receive it because I have help him. regards, Philippe

  45. #45Paylomatic2008-07-24 06:40

    Does anyone know how to find find out the model year ?

  46. #46Bartrams Garage2008-07-27 20:38

    I’m getting closer to completing my project. It is now completely operational. I only have four panels left to finish. The engine hood side panels and the operator cockpit side panels. The Waukesha FC starts right up and is a blast to operate. Ray

  47. #47stretch2008-07-27 21:10

    Awww man...that's a neat little toy to run around the yard with!

  48. #48Phil VM2.52008-07-28 01:45

    Hi Ray, Nice work ! already one question ! I see on the picture that you seems have an alternator on your engine. I have a dynamo 6 Volt that do not seems to be ok, so I have thing to place one alternator 12V ... But I have realised that my engine was with the positif on earth ! what is your solution ? regards Phil

  49. #49Bartrams Garage2008-07-28 19:45

    Phil, My HA was originally a 6v positive ground system and I converted it to a 12v negative ground system. This conversion is somewhat complex, but if you take your time you will not have any problems. The first items that you need to change are your 6v coil and any other 6v accessories that you my have on your machine. Your stock starter as long as it is in good condition will withstand the 12v system. Yes, even with 12v negative ground it will still turn in the right direction. Besides an alternator you will also need a 12v voltage regulator. There are many 12v conversions on the market, do your homework and you will not have a problem. This is my second tractor that I converted over the 12v. The first was a Ford 8N that I changed over 8 years ago. The alternator that I used I purchased from Burden Surplus here in the United States. It is a 30 amp unit that has more that sufficient power to supply the electrical requirements of the HA. And it was only about $30. Ray A picture of my elactrical system

  50. #50Steve Frazier2008-07-28 21:50

    Looks like an old Chrysler alternator.

  51. #51Phil VM2.52008-07-29 07:48

    Hi Ray, thanks a lot for your informations. I am surprise that the starter 6V can go with 12V. But it seems that the owner know it already because he did have a 12V battery only to start it. But I will convert it to 12V, it will be more easy. I did find today with a friend mechanic that there is a leak in the carburator so I know now why it was not runing well without the choke. I will open it and see if it is possible to repair it, otherwise, try to find a other carburator. I have the same engine (but not the same color!) When I see your picture, I am not sure I will post some picture of mine ! thanks for the help Philippe

  52. #52Phil VM2.52008-07-30 08:07

    Hi everybody, have look at this intersting equipment ! http://www.drillmill.com/forklift/H.../Hough-payloader-backhoes-parts-catalog-1.jpg regards, Phil

  53. #53Phil VM2.52008-08-01 06:25

    it run well ! Hi everybody, I am happy, the engine run well. in the past, you should aways have some choke, and the engine stopped to run offen. I have dismantle the carb and clean it, make a new gasket, and it run really well ! there is still some play in the little axe, so I will try to repair it or find a other carb. but I should therefore know what are the spécifications, but I can not read exept that it is a zenith made in USA have a nice day Philippe

  54. #54Woodboatdave2008-08-14 12:58

    old hough Here's my old girl

  55. #55Iron Horse2008-08-16 20:10

    This is my old 30 trying to put some camber back into the coaming rails on my Volvadyne after guy at the timber mill accidently opened the beak on the loader and let a huge log roll out onto my truck .

  56. #56carl bebb2008-09-06 23:17

    I recently aquired a Hough HA Payloader and need some advise. The plate with the serial number is completely gone it's impossible to tell what year it is. It has the gas engine which somewhat narrows it down. My problem is with the steering. Everything is gone from the drag link to the tie rod ends. Any and all help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Carl

  57. #57PAULIH3002008-09-07 12:18

    Post some images.This may be the only way to tell what you have.The tie rods,brakes and a lot of things are late 1940s Ford car/truck based items.This helps tremendously,as todays IH/Hough/Dressda dealers would have no access to HA specific parts.There were 3 major generations of HA changes.This would help narrow it down.As for being a gas engine,they were gas from beginning (1947) to end(1970),with a few diesels sprinkled in,so its no surprise that yours is a gas job as well.

  58. #58Bartrams Garage2008-09-07 20:27

    Carl, As was previously posted, the steering components for early "HA" Payloaders appear to be similar to late '40s to early '50s Ford heavy duty truck items. I haven't been able to verify any part numbers yet, but the tie rod ends and drag link ends for my second generation HA (1952 to 1954) look the same as those used on a '48 to '56 Ford truck. I won't know for sure until I do an R&R on my steering this winter. The tie rod adjustment sleeves should be pretty easy to take a stock Ford one and shorten it. The same go's for the drag link, take a stock Ford part an lengthen it. If you are missing the center bell crank, that may be more difficult to find, you may be better off trying to fabricate one. I'll post a couple of pictures of my steering. Tomorrow, if I get a chance I'll scan and post the steering axle and linkage pages from my parts manual. I hope this helps! Ray P.S. Please post some pictures of your machine so we can help you through your project.

  59. #59carl bebb2008-09-08 00:22

    I am having trouble trying to post the pictures. Thanks for the help and the pictures. I am missing the center bell crank or pivot. Everything else is in tact including tie rods, tie rod ends and drag link. I wondered about early combines with rear steering. Thanks for the tip on brakes. I am sure that will be the next project. Carl

  60. #60datsunman2009-02-07 16:55

    HI, Im a proud recent buyer/owner of a HOUGH Payloader but I can't find the model plate or identification on it. I did find a tag on transmission with the following- Rockwell Standard corporation HOUGH 123111 SERIAL NO 2 83-0016 The ratio is not completely clear (1 ??2-10) or (1 182-10) This tag was on the right side of transmission case and made of aluminum riveted on stamped letters blackened with blue in the letters. This is a 2-speed + forward/reverse. I also find that it has a torque converter between clutch and eng which is Waukesha model(FC 3.25x4)No38154 G5843,gov speed 2000loaded RPM torque converter is stamped (43) on the top next to oil fill/dipstick/breather Clutch bell housing has cast in tag (235-L) and cast in lettering(4887 S 123) Also a circle around the Capitol case B, folowed by a lone D Also a number tag in the top of bellhousing of torque converter facing the engine and close to starter(341-L This is all the info so far and I hope that one of you can help me find or determine what its model would be. I want to find and buy repair/parts/operator-manuals for it. Your discussions about these helps me because mine has 2-lift and 2-dump cylinders. I really need engine rebuild parts and the trans had a lot of metal shavings in the gear-oil and one of the cast driven hubs is cracked badly. I can set up pictures to show here soon.

  61. #61PAULIH3002009-02-07 20:17

    That sounds at least a mid to late 50s model.3rd generation with the addition of the redesigned loader arm arrangement,and the torque converter.The Rockwell Standard Corp bothers me,because at this time International Harvester owned Hough,but they were still made by the Frank G Hough Co.Waukesha engine parts are available at your local NAPA store,and others that sell Federal Mogul engine parts.Also there are online sources for gaskets...etc.As for the hub,I wish you well.This also may not be an HA,could be an H-25.Only pictures will tell the truth.

  62. #62albized2009-04-20 16:35

    Hello people,I'm live in Italy, in Turin and I'have a 2 Payloader HA, next day put a foto of their, how mutch is the value, the ha is very better status....

  63. #63albized2009-05-01 13:37

    Payloader HA Hello Gents. Excusme for my englis not very well. My name is Alberto, I'm live live in Italy in Pinerolo is a small city near Turin. . This is my story of PAYLOADER HA I have two Payloader Ha, both there are in good condition, one of this have a loaders, the other have a hook/Karabiner. The condition shape is good, Hidraulic tha same, wheels good, and the engine is new, have only 100 Hours. In the past this payloaders was in a mine of talc-pouder in a border of France. I sell both, accept a reasonable offert, and is possible sell a chain for frontal wheel. Hey people, if you know a friends buy a PAYLOADER HA.....spread the word.... I work for automotive industries, and I don't have a lot of time for use this Payloader. I have also old motorbyke produced of MOTO GUZZI.

  64. #64rino2009-05-03 02:36

    I think there is one of these machines for sale at Rondy & Co., Inc. 255 Wooster Road, N Barberton, OH 44203 Phone: 330-745-9016 Fax: 330-745-4886 [email protected] I have only seen it from the street, which is about no more than 10 parking stalls away! Looks like they were using it for clean up od some kind! It did't look too bad, but it didi look used!

  65. #6510519bry2009-07-16 12:47

    1965 hough payloader am in need of parts for a 1965 houhg payloader (military) It has a Rockwell automatic transmission. We need a transmission pump The part no. is 1517H25B1 and the serial # is XM 18556. any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

  66. #6610519bry2009-07-16 12:59

    Hi I need some help finding parts for a 1965 hough payloader(military) I need a transmission pump It has a Rockwell automatic transmission) It is a Hydreco The part No. is 1517H25B1 and the serial no. is XM 18556. Any help would be greatly appricated. Thanks John

  67. #67cobra-012009-07-19 09:23

    yep, just got one myself

  68. #68tdb2009-08-16 09:30

    Little hough loader Hi . I'm Ted I'm from Michigan. This is my first post . I went with my son Nick Friday to pick his latest buy , he told me it was a hough loader , it has sat in a barn for about 15 years or so . We had to push it on the trailer with a front end loader, got it loaded and headed home , work on it about 2 hours cleaned the carb did some wiring and put in new 12 volt battery and it took off running. Now my ? is can someone tell me the a little about this loader, I have read the past post and it looks like it could be a early HA. I will post some pictures, Thanks for the help. TEDMI.

  69. #69tdb2009-08-16 09:36

    Few more pictures, TEDMI.

  70. #70tdb2009-08-16 11:40

    one more

  71. #71Bartrams Garage2009-08-17 20:12

    Hi Ted, Your Payloader looks like a first generation machine, manufactured prior to 1952. If your serial number is still visible, please post it, it will help identify the exact year of manufacture. Ray

  72. #72tdb2009-08-18 16:42

    payloader Thanks ray for the reply. I cant fined a serial number on it , looks like there was a tag on the front dash but its long gone. when did they start making these little loaders, cant fined much information . TEDMI.

  73. #73Bartrams Garage2009-08-18 20:54

    Hi Ted, Check out the book “Payline “by Oscar H. Will, it tells the complete history of IH and Hough construction equipment. In the back of the book it gives a complete breakdown by serial number of IH and Hough machines. Not to repeat myself but here’s the story. The model HA began production in 1947 and continued in various forms until 1970. Your machine was manufactured between 1947 and 1951. Production of the first generation Model HA Payloaders ended in 1951 (these machines had a “H” brass plate on the counterweight as yours has). The second generation production ran from 1952 thru 1954 (these machines had “PAYLOADER” cast into the counterweight). And the beginning of the third generation was in 1955 (a 4 cylinder lift was introduced). Early production Payloaders had a manual release bucket. Patrick in France has a perfect example of one of these early Payloaders. Check his out on the redpower site. (I don’t know how he is doing with his project; he hasn’t posted in a while.) Thanks for the pictures and your interest in keeping this rare breed alive. Keep us posted of your progess! Ray P.S. If your engine still has its builders plate, that may give you a clue as to the year of your Payloader. It is located on the rightside top of the engine block. The engine date code stamped on this plate.

  74. #74operator2009-08-25 12:24

    payloader HA I have one just like yours that is missing the water pump. Anyone know where to find one ?

  75. #75dozerdave2009-08-25 14:33

    Hi Guys, I appreciate the pictures and information about your repairs. And if you ever get the bucket full of rock and hoist it be sure to wear a hard hat or maybe even a hard suit.

  76. #76operator2009-08-25 19:43

    The payloader HA (ser. 23768 ) with waukesha engine is missing the water pump. Can anyone help with a part number ?? Thanks.

  77. #77Bartrams Garage2009-08-26 16:59

    Welcome to the board Operator, For your water pump, contact Jobbers Warehouse in Philadelphia 215-236-8500, ask for Jimmy, he'll be able to fix you up with a rebuilt pump. I bought all of my Waukesha engine parts from them. They specialize in older, hard to find engines and parts. Plan on spending around $175.00 for the water pump. Good luck with your HA Payloader. Ray

  78. #78powerjoke2009-08-30 13:42

    I see Ole JIM aka Ole Tower has been sending coded mesages to the Al Quieda from this board too lmao there was a guy around me that had about 10 of those goofy looking loader's i'll try to see if he's still got any for part's for ya. PJ

  79. #79hdridernh2009-10-28 12:15

    Hough HA Hello Folks, I am new to this forum and might possibly buy a Hough HA?? What is the lifting capacity of these? The gentleman says it smokes a little bit? Any suggestions on what to look out for? Thank you in advanced..

  80. #80microwave2010-02-23 14:37

    I have a 1952 payloader with payloader stamped on the counterweight with the 4 cylinder waukesha engine 3 1/4 by 2 The engine was stuck when I got it. I put penatrating oil down the cylinders and took off the side plates and squirted penetrating oil on the valve stems. In 2 days I was able to turn the engine over and get a stuck valve to release. After cleaning the points and rebuilding the starter the motor started and ran. After about 10 minutes it stopped smoking and smoothed out to a steady rythem of 4 cylinders running smoothly.The water pump leaked and I repaired the seals with epoxy as the bearings were still tight. The hydraulics were good as the main cylinders looked like they had new seals and they did not leak. As demand for the fork lift someone put on it in place of the bucket is not high I am considering selling the machine. It has 4 speed tranny with foward and reverse stick. My phone # is 870 322 c7099 and my name is Joe

  81. #81bsnorge2010-03-26 12:57

    Hi, I am new to this forum, but I am looking for some info regarding the firing order of a third generation payloader.

  82. #82oldballs2010-05-01 16:15

    i would like the manuals

  83. #83Jonny B2010-05-09 19:58

    Could ya help me out IDing my loader? Tag by the steering wheel says: Model HA Payloader Serial# - 2BA31856 Type G Engine Tag: Model FC281L 3 1/4 X 4 NO: 1109916 I haven't got it to the house yet, but I'm wanting to go check out the tag by the seat. I'll get pics and start a thread of my own on it when I get "New Topic" privileges.

  84. #84Bartrams Garage2010-05-09 20:22

    Jonny B, Your Payloader is an HA-B model, it was built back in 1963. It is powered by a tried and true Waukesha FC series engine. Please post pictures of your machine once you get your priviages. Let me know if you have any further questions, I have a some experience with these machines. Ray

  85. #85Jonny B2010-05-14 19:51

    Thanks Bartrams! Wasn't expecting it to be a 63 thats for sure! Guy I got it off of thought it was a 54, and after digging out all of the books he had on it there was a few that said Jan. 5th 1956 written in pen on the top, along with were it was purchased from. None the less it'll be a fun lil machine. Hoping to have it at the Portland, In tractor show this year if anyone is into that kinda thing.

  86. #86hwkuhns2010-05-19 07:13

    Hi Folks, I'm new to all this. I have the long-term loan of a Model HAH. It runs beautifully, but needs a new clutch. I would like to find a new clutch before I go to the work of taking it all apart. Can anyone help me there? Also, does anyone have any suggestions for how to go about it? It looks to me as though it would be easier to pull the tranny rather than the engine. Has anyone done this, and have any pointers/warnings? I'll post pics: (1) after I actually take some. (2) If I can figure out how..... Thanks

  87. #87brichel12010-08-01 15:18

    just got my first ha with trailer. its in good shape looks complete. have pics but have not been accepted, dont know why 219.629.1484 brian [email protected] have some ?? about the 6, 12v system has 4cyl, bendix carb, 1 hi, 1 lo f+r. ballast gets very hot with key on. has 4 cyl flat head, not sure who makes it. any info would b great thanks much

  88. #88muzy2010-08-12 21:30

    Pretty late with this but I have just got my clutch back from getting it rebuilt. Got me for $600 but at least it looks good, and will last longer than I will need I'm sure. Not sure where it was sent but I will find out and post it. I could use some direction as to were to get parts, like pistons and bearrings. The machenist says he can not get bearrings for mains or rod end. One throw on the crank is badly scored. This little Wauk. looks like it has linners in it. No tag on block? Will post acouple pics of block, like every body else...when I figger it out. lol. So be back in a bit. muzy Ha, gotta make them smaller. Oh boy

  89. #89muzy2010-08-12 22:02

    Try again. It's pics of block, and one of cylinder. Hope you can see. muzy

  90. #90Bartrams Garage2010-08-23 16:50

    Muzy, The block casting numbers match up with a Wahkesha FC series engine. I checked my payloader and it has the same block number except for the "A" suffix. You may want to try jobbersinc.com for parts. From what I can remember they had a pretty good selection of FC series parts when I was looking for parts for my machine. Give them a call or send them an e-mail, they were very helpful. Best of luck with getting your machine back together. Ray

  91. #91muzy2010-08-24 01:58

    Thank's for reply, will check out suggested site. muzy

  92. #92lyons2332010-10-23 12:26

    lyons233 I have a HA 54 it needs a drive hub. send info to [email protected]

  93. #93lyons2332010-10-28 21:52

    lyons233 I have a 54 HA hough. I need a drive hub does anyone have one too sell.

  94. #94lyons2332011-01-18 12:35

    Do you still have the HA? If so what is the model and year. [email protected] to reply

  95. #95Woodwelding2011-01-27 22:51

    Hi Ray I have a older HA model, I need help on the eng. external oil line FC-157-Z Hi Ray : I need help on the Waukesha eng. FC-157-Z 3 1/4" X 4" # 794914 502Gov. speed 1800. It has a external oil line from one side of the block to the other side to the oil pressure gauge. Is this factury ? My loader has 2 lift cly. & 1 dump cly. and round counter weight & round front too. Also has solid cast front wheels 750 X 16" truck tires, a Bindix carb, 6V. It runs good. Paul

  96. #96archimede2011-05-02 15:22

    New Hello, I am restoring an old HOUGH HA PAYLOADER (ser. n. 25560). It is equipped with a WAUKESHA FC-253-C engine (srn.1025037 568). I need: 1)Spark plugs (Champion D16?). 2)Carburetor repair kit (complete). The carburetor is a ZENITH 510750/11570. It leaks gasoline and the accelerator shaft has some play. 3)Generator repair kit (DELCO REMY 1111419 - 620). 4)Starter repair kit (DELCO REMY, but I can't read the part number. It has 4 carbon brushes). I need the brass bearings, too. It runs well, but the brass bearings are worned out. When the voltage of the battery is low, the gear disengages, and the starter turns at a very high speed, without moving the engine. 5)For the distributor (DELCO REMY 1111712) I need brass bearing, and the joint (the one which is at the end of the shaft). Could you please tell me where I could find them? Please, note that I live in TURIN (ITALY). In Italy I can't find any of these items, so I should buy them in the USA! Do you know the part numbers for these items? Sorry for my English mistakes, I hope you can understand. Mario

  97. #97muzy2011-05-03 00:27

    Sounds like them parts are easly made. Good machine shop should be able to turn you new ones. Brass would be bushings right? muzy

  98. #98archimede2011-05-03 03:25

    Yes, what I called brass bearings actually are bushings, I didn't know how they were called in English. Sorry

  99. #99Komatsu 1502011-05-03 07:27

    Actually you are correct the proper name would be plain bearings as apposed to roller bearings. We are all just accustomed to calling them bushings.

  100. #100archimede2011-05-03 07:43

    I know that in the USA you manage to find old parts quite easily, but in Italy nobody sell this kind of American parts. Do you know some websites in which I can find Hough HA Payloader's parts? Do anybody of you has got a spare parts list for this old iron? Thank you.

  101. #101countryliving2011-08-03 02:17

    Needing some Help!!! Short story, though the long version is pretty good. Bought some land, the local said the old guy that lived here before me had been here for years and used to work the land with this old front in loaded, they said they didn't know what became of it. Well come to find out, after clearing the brush and weeds out, way in the back by a hill I found it. With a lot of effort and many trucks we pulling thing back to off the hill, cleaned it up and got it to fire up and run. It moves and everything works, after replacing lots of hoses and such, though I think the clutch bad as if it sits for a long time it will move a bit then the clutch just won't engage. Anyways before I dive further into this thing, cost wise, I want to know, can I find parts for these things and is it worth it. Model Hough payloader HYGC or HVGC can't tell, serial: 92832C

  102. #102q4016lanz2011-08-30 20:12

    Hi this is my HA PAYLOADER wahkesha deisel cheers john http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc379/lanz3606/Picture004.jpg

  103. #103hector gemme2011-08-31 06:36

    I have a WAUKESHA FC motor parts manual for HA and a other one for cluch,transmission,loader and more and a operator manual

  104. #104q4016lanz2011-09-01 04:13

    HI hector were are you and are the books for sale cheers john

  105. #105hector gemme2011-09-01 06:28

    HII am located STE-JULIE near MONTREAL CANADA and yes my 3 manuals are for sale and want $75.00 for these 3 manual. HECTOR

  106. #106q4016lanz2011-09-01 21:37

    Thanks hector i would like your manuals but with freight is to australia they will be to much cheers john

  107. #107gregorio2012-06-28 20:58

    which starter?? greetings from Venezuela miranda I have a HA Payloader I'm trying to restore gasoline engine is not that I think is the year from 52 to 54 and I have a problem because it has no starter and no I could tell which leads leading to arrest him thanks

  108. #108countryghost2012-07-07 15:21

    Quick question you seem to know about loaders could you tell me what type this one is? it has a 4 cylinder gas engine.. thanks. not sure where to fine the cast and serial numbers.. http://louisville.craigslist.org/grd/3082732415.html

  109. #109gregorio2012-07-07 21:20

    regards friend not really know nothing of these chargers as this was a dej erence that my father and is the only one and seen here in Venezuela

  110. #110q4016lanz2012-07-08 07:50

    Hi mi have a Ha Payloader it has a wahauska diesel motor

  111. #111Smokey2013-04-20 22:38

    Hi, I bought my little pay loader approx. 10-12 years ago. The serial # is 3A-1117 & it's a 4 cyl. Diesel. I need help on identifying the engine as I have to replace the head gasket. Other than needing a steering box repair or replacement it is in decent shape. I'll post some pics at a later date. Thanks for any info.

  112. #112dalemurphy2013-04-21 02:05

    nice looking ride u have there i have a 1948 hf but cant get any pics to load here as soon as i can ill share thanks dale

  113. #113firewoodchopper2013-04-21 11:54

    Hey Anthony, you got any books manuals for hough HHG

  114. #114runinbrave2014-09-22 12:22

    nice mine is 388 numbers away from yours, mine is 2ba31468

  115. #115runinbrave2014-09-22 12:28

    hello all. just got my first Hough today its a HA 2BA31468 in great running condition. i am woundeing how universal is the steering wheel with other Hough loaders. mine is broken and need to be replaced. there is a bone yard not far from me that has a lot of older loaders and i was hoping to find a steering wheel there. just need to know if they fit other tractors. also how hard is pulling the wheels to replace the wheel cyls?? i live near Allentown PA if there is anyone local who has experance with HAs

  116. #116largeonee2023-02-08 22:48

    i have 2 ha loaders 27325 early ha 2ba32069 late ha type g the early one runs bur the late one is stuck. i am using the early ione to fix the late one would like the years on them also i will be selling off the partsogfthearly one that won't fit the newer one