Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

landmark shovel

xkvator ยท 2005-07-04 13:07

will, digger, electra_glide, & any other w. pennsylvanians..... do you know where this shovel is?

Replies16
  1. #1digger242j2005-07-04 13:19

    Is this a quiz? In other words, do you know the answer, and are gonna tell us if we guess wrong, or are you trying to find out yourself? It looks awfully familiar. Maybe somewhere down 51, well south of Pittsburgh? If that's not right, don't tell the answer yet. I may have to think about it some more...

  2. #2xkvator2005-07-05 08:50

    no quiz ...just checking to see if you guys venture out of the city your memory is pretty good...it is on 51, just north of uniontown. it has only been moved off that location once back in the 50's. a friend of mine bought the property and the 1951 Koehring shovel came with it...and it runs. the previous owner moved it and set the boom down so they could paint it. he's greased/started/moved it every year. cable was recently changed. he said he paid $83k for it new...that included +$8k for the Cat engine option. i was there the other day augering post holes along the frontage and people were stopping and asking what we were going to do with the shovel & "please don't move it away...it's been here as long as i remember" Even a state cop stopped and said they use it as a reference point. he said he's had offers for it...from the National Pike steam, gas, horse assoc. and from someone in Cranberry.

  3. #3digger242j2005-07-05 09:51

    Wow! I'm even impressed with me! (Now, if I could just remember stuff like which three things my wife asked me to buy at the grocery store on the way home...) The last time I was down that way was probably between 5 and 10 years ago. I'm sure everybody would love to see more pics, and hear more of the story, like what it was used for. Even better, it would be *so* cool to run it...

  4. #4Electra_Glide2005-07-05 10:28

    That's what I was going to say...... :wink2 Like digger, I haven't been down that way in a loooong time (I spend almost all of my time north and west of the city), but if I remember right, it sits on the right-hand side of 51 as you're coming north out of Uniontown, right? Joe

  5. #5xkvator2005-07-05 12:00

    that's exactly where it's at...it's been that color for as long as i can remember.....the white graffiti was just sprayed on sunday night.

  6. #6xkvator2005-07-12 11:21

    was down there Sunday digging septic test holes and burning off the tops of steel posts we put in & holes for steel cable. i'm just a little smaller

  7. #7D10R2005-07-13 14:20

    Fixin to make it a workin machine again?

  8. #8norrodbh2005-07-14 16:43

    Oh, I'v seen it, just couldn't remember where Even had the Harley out last weekend and rode through Uniontown, but we were on Rt-40. I'll have to go back down this this weekend.

  9. #9Dusty2005-08-09 15:18

    nice pic love old iron

  10. #10digger242j2014-08-03 21:31

    I don't usually bump nine year old threads, but I just heard about this today, and I'm kinda PO'ed about it: http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/6195629-74/shovel-steam-county#axzz39LT4XmXd So he "forgot." Why take the torch to it before looking for somebody to restore it?

  11. #1172hayes2014-08-03 22:17

    this really burns my ass! I hope they throw the book at the cousin. he had to know that that the old guy had sold the property, so by not asking the new owner for permission to access the machine he is a thief and a vandal! Doug

  12. #12FSERVICE2014-08-03 23:27

    my thoughts was to throw something harder than a book at the former owner for telling a family member to go cut something up that he didn't own!!! how do you for get someone paying you 1000s of dollars for something!! & YES YOU CAN HIT OLD PEOPLE SOMETIMES THEY DESERVE IT!!!!

  13. #13lantraxco2014-08-03 23:58

    Sad, this kind of thing happens every day now with scrap prices up and respect all but gone everywhere. The guy with the torch may well have been told everything was legit, go ahead and scrap the poor old girl, so I ain't throwing stones at anybody just yet. This proves one thing though, if you own anything you want to hang onto, keep a close eye on it and keep your Winchester loaded!

  14. #14old-iron-habit2014-08-04 08:53

    I'm sure his liability insurance is on par with most scrappers. Hopefully there is some recourse someway, although monetary damages will not bring the classic back.

  15. #15stinkycat2014-08-04 23:13

    Old Iron Here is a beauty that the scrappers won't get

  16. #16stinkycat2014-08-04 23:24

    More Old Iron July 5 2014 Outville, Ohio, I couldn't any information on the Wabco Scrapers