Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hour meter jumping backwards

Canadian_digger · 2010-01-06 15:42

Just wondering if this has ever happen to anyone else. We have a 2005 Cat 252B skid steer and the hour meter jumped backwards about 200 hours.:beatsme It had around 980hrs and is now showing around 780hrs. Any idea how this could happen?

Replies13
  1. #1stock2010-01-06 16:19

    Is it mechanical or electrical,is it analogue or digital? if digital maybe an led display is on the left foot.

  2. #2Steve Frazier2010-01-06 16:29

    Hell, leave it be! Before you know it you'll have a brand new machine! I tend to agree with stock however, it's an LCD digital meter in this machine and the 100s digit may have gone funky. I doubt it could be repaired.

  3. #3Canadian_digger2010-01-06 16:46

    Yeah its digital. It’s the kind that is on all the time weather the machine is on or off. Maybe the 9 is screwed up and showing a 7? Maybe when it hits a 1000hrs it will go back to normal. The funny thing is we bought the machine with 840hrs so it now has fewer hours on it then when we got it.

  4. #4hammerdwn202010-01-06 17:36

    i hope the same thing didnt happen to them before they sold it

  5. #5joispoi2010-01-07 11:18

    A loose connection at the flux capacitor will do that sometimes.

  6. #6RTSmith2010-01-07 12:40

    Sayeth Scotty in his thick brogue- "But Cap'n, I'm given 'er all she can handle and then some. Last thing we wanna do now is melt the flux capacitor in the Caterpillar!"

  7. #7steponmebbbboom2010-01-07 13:25

    yes, i have had hourmeters run backwards. this most commonly happens with on-slab machines equipped with non-marking tires or segmented solid tires made of materials other than carbon-containing rubber. these tires do not allow static electricity to dissipate and it can build up in the machine to the point that it seeks a ground path through the electronics, causing all sorts of havoc including damaging the hourmeters. this has the same effect as ESD damage caused by improper handling of the control cards. once an electronic device has been damaged in this way it must be replaced, or sent to an outfit like flight systems LLC who have the capability of repairing control cards. any non marking tire or non conductive wheel assembly used on the slab must be supplemented with a chain, cable or static strap device to dissipate static buildup in an electronically controlled machine to prevent expensive ESD events. if your loader is used off the slab or has conventional rubber tires or tracks, the meter may have suffered a voltage spike or similar high voltage event. if you were offered some sort of warranty with this machine dont delay in contacting them about the hourmeter malfunction to protect your warranty coverage or at least replace it with a mechanical one so as to keep up on your maintenance intervals. good luck

  8. #8Canadian_digger2010-01-07 15:57

    So I think it may have been frozen if possible or just cold. I put it in the shop last night and I checked it today and its back to normal. 997hrs.

  9. #9steponmebbbboom2010-01-07 16:44

    possible condensation or moisture inside the meter housing. most hourmeters are sealed or their cards are coated to prevent glitches from moisture. D

  10. #10Arabhacks2010-01-12 21:24

    Lcd Hello. There is nothing wrong. What has happened is that the Liquid Crystal Display got below freezing. You see, there actually is a liquid in a LCD display, get it too cold and becomes a solid, just like another liquid we are all associated with.

  11. #11steponmebbbboom2010-01-12 22:56

    if digital hour meters stopped working every time it dropped below freezing, we wouldnt see them in canada and theyre all over the place up here... not all liquids freeze at 0 degrees celsius...

  12. #12Arabhacks2010-01-13 01:10

    Freezing. Hello. First off, freezing is normally a term used for water, yes, but in this case we are referring to the liquid in an LCD, the value of what we are not sure of. Second, although it may seem that the display is operating normally in the cold it is indeed operating slower than in a warm setting. I have discovered this while playing with a 2-way radio up north. I would change channels, and the radio would work normally, but the display was frozen to whatever image was last. Yet if I took the radio in for service, no trouble found, the radio had warmed up by that time. I had for some reason taken my watch off, and the same effect. So, I asked what was going on, and why LCD instruments on equipment did not have this trouble. The answer is simple, a thermistor and resistor. When it is cold the thermistor allows current to flow through the resistor, heating the display. But, remember the bit about the display being static when the current is off? Right, without battery voltage the resistor produces no heat. And that is part of the answer. I like the little thermistor idea so much that I have added this to my talkie, tied into the lamp circuit. And you know that this is a good idea, I have bench work, so for me to do this.

  13. #13MrKomatsu2010-01-13 07:39

    Arabhacks..........you hit the nail on the head......