Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What do you pay for On Site Service?

crossthreaded ยท 2010-01-08 19:27

Business is picking up for my on site service calls, and I need to adjust my labor rates. I was only doing calls for friends of friends and was not gouging them at all, but now word has gotten out and I am doing more work for new customers. I know what my last job charged for on site service, I was just curious what others are paying/charge for the same thing. Nothing too intensive, just pm's and light repairs, cylinder removal and reseal, etc.. Anything big I try to bring back to the shop. Thanks.

Replies18
  1. #1Speedpup2010-01-08 20:31

    One decent shop on Long Island was 85 per hr which I thought was cheap for here.

  2. #2Hardline2010-01-08 21:08

    Not sure about your area but I'm in North Texas. I own a small on site repair business and provide a lot of the same services that you described. I Charge $65 Per hour time starting when I start on machine and ending when I clean and put up my tools.( I do not charge drive time), $1 per mile round trip to jobsite and picking up parts, and mark up any parts that I have to pay for and bill out on the invoice 30%. JJ

  3. #3barklee2010-01-08 21:10

    Dealers are getting from $85-$95 per hr. There are a couple of guys i know that are one man armies and they are $50-$65 per hour. That is Ohio though.

  4. #4Alberta2010-01-08 21:51

    Wow......!! The local Finning/Cat branch up here bills at around $140.00/hr. And they brought their rates down.......

  5. #5crossthreaded2010-01-08 22:46

    I worked at a place here locally that charged 110/hr +1.50/mile, parts were marked up 100-200%, and they had 3 trucks running 24 hours a day. I usually charge from the minute the truck starts until the minute I get back, not charging for mileage unless it is way out there. Looks Like I will be in the 50-70 range depending on the customer, thanks for the input.

  6. #6barklee2010-01-09 20:43

    Most of our equipment is man lifts and telehandelers. So we use United rentals or All crane. They do charge travel to and from. I guess i shouldnt complain with some of the rates that are out there!

  7. #7Chris917862010-01-10 10:35

    Wow that's a lot. Down here at Ring Power Cat we are $82-$85 an hour, I wouldn't wanna pay $140 an hour if I had a machine.....But of course you guys have the big mining equipment up there, biggest we have down here in Florida is some D10's, maybe 1 or 2 D11's and some 992's

  8. #8CM19952010-01-10 11:12

    Your local cost of living has a lot to do with the price of most anything, especially labor rates. Comparing labor rates from Alberta to rates in Florida or anywhere in the southern US is like asking how much does a dozer cost. There are so many variables, cost of living being the biggest difference. For instance, Alberta what does a 3 bed 2 bath 1500-1800 SF house cost in your area?

  9. #9Speedpup2010-01-10 11:29

    I had a sevice guy come out to my Lull and he did nothing and knew nothing so basically after a bill of 4-500 they hauled it away. Then they went into a parts changing exercise and talking to Lull for near 4 weeks. 6500 dollars estimate which was supposed to be + or - 10% ended up at 11,500 or 11,800 Next time I am over my head I think I'll drive it off a cliff and their is only one on Long Island. I will never buy a machine with computers as to not be at their mercy.

  10. #10Alberta2010-01-10 11:42

    If it is located in or near a major center, expect to pay at least $200,000.

  11. #11DPete2010-01-10 11:50

    Cat field service here is $125 plus $2 a mile, plus environmental fees, you can kiss $1K a day good bye. In addition to milage you're paying drive time so depending on location you get 7 hours or less work

  12. #12Speedpup2010-01-10 12:00

    even now when it is depressed depending on exact area 350 to over well over 400,000 then taxes are insane too!

  13. #13HeyUvaVT2010-01-10 16:34

    what part of va are you in crossthread? may have some work for you in the future

  14. #14chrisbowles2010-01-11 20:01

    cat here is 90 hr and over 2.00 mile both ways. The guys on there own charge 60.00 hr and charge riding time one way and no mileage. Most of those guys are always backlogged, thats why we got our own service truck and mechanic.

  15. #15crossthreaded2010-01-12 21:22

    Roanoke area. What kind of equipment do you run? Without computers machines would nowhere near as reliable, efficient, or easy to operate as they are today.

  16. #16SterlingR2010-01-13 21:36

    When you compare labor rates make sure you compare apples to apples. Comparing an individual person to a company is not apples to apples.

  17. #17Drifter2010-01-17 16:31

    The company I work for charges me out at $160 an hour and $200 an hour travel.

  18. #18Rod Michaelson2010-01-18 15:29

    Why older equipment goes quickly Northern California is in the $120 per hour range for quality service. The distance between areas is great so mileage and travel time add up very quickly. As equipment gets older and down time becomes more critical to make a living, newer equipment makes economic sense.