Hi we went to look at a gehl 4640 skid steer its in mint condition but it has a duetz motor in it and don't know **** about them. Any help greatly appreciated. [/LIST
haha. well i believe deutz is the number 2 diesel engine manufacturer in the world behind MAN. i assume this gehl has an oil (not liquid) cooled engine?? cab heater might not work as good as others. i believe these engines have a timing belt. something you would want to pay attention to over the years. otherwise that sounds like it would be a pretty good machine to own.
it´s a very good engine, http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Deutz-AG-Company-History.html
stay away far far away
hahahahaha. you will probably be ok...
I TOTALLY agree with zfrepair, I still have nightmares over this piece of crap engine. I bought a Fecon mowing machine with a new Deutz engine (4 cylinder) liquid cooled. 250 hrs and 2 weeks before the so called warranty, the engine lost all compression and wouldnt start. I have dealer mechanic look at it and he said it needed to be replaced, not rebuilt. I went around and around with the dealer, My lawyer, etc. It seemed at the time my machine blew up, Cat bought that dealership and they wouldnt cover their warranties, so $80,000 later, all I had was a piece of junk. I was able to get $20,000 of my money back, but I lost big time Stay away from Deutz, they will not back their crappy engines up Shortly after Fecon replace Deutz engines with Yanmar
I have a 4- cylinder, air cooled Duetz in a Bobcat 864 with 1900 hrs of hard use, it has been excellent without any issues at all. I have heard the timing belt should be changed at 2000 hrs or you end up with bent push rods and a $2500.00 repair bill. Anyone had any issues like that?
I had a 2000 Bobcat 863 with a Duetz and it was an OK engine. There were numerous failures of the fuel pump and fuel pump solenoid - we changed so many out I don't remember just how many, which is the reason why I sold it. Around 2K hours is when it started to have fuel supply issues. It would run fine, shut it off and would not crank again. Change out either pump or solenoid and you could get another 50 or so hours out of it. This got to be an expensive operation and anyone that has bought Bobcat parts would understand.
Sounds like I should maybe think of getting rid of it before problems arise. Thanks
That was my experience with the only Duetz engine I have owned. It got to be very frustrating with guys on the clock and a machine that wouldn't run. I have a 2005 T250 with a Kubota that has 2200 hrs. 2 drive motors (replaced under warranty), some bushings and a few sets of tracks but the engine has been good so far. The poor little machine has been worked hard too.
just to make things clear duetz has a very good air cooled engine probably the best but once you go with oil or liquid cooled forget it it not worth the money plus we've had a few in chippers that threw rods ended up putting john deere's in it costs way to much to rebuild the duetz
The remarks about the timing belt are correct. I was lucky and replaced the belt before it failed. The engine ran very poorly before the belt was replaced, and great after.
Don't be foolish. I owned a Duetz powered Tree Farmer Skidder for 15 years, pulled many millions of feet with it. Best damn diesel engines made. ALWAYS start, I don't care how long it's been or how cold.
I too should clarify my statement above: My Duetz was an AIR COOLED 5 cylinder. I have no experience with a liquid cooled. I stand by my statement that the Air Cooled Duetz' are superior engines to any other diesel...
I dont have any experience with the liquid cooled engines either. I have about 15 FL1011 air cooled engines and they are bullet proof! The only real problem is the timing belts, you just have to keep an eye on it during your servicing periods.
Ran mine since 1997 on the same half worn fan belt it came with, just replaced it a couple months ago for peace of mind.. No one ever told me of the timing belt. Willing to bet it has 30K hours on the one it's running now. Bulletproof. Best diesel money can buy. Running a 1988 John Deere 648D now, and BROTHER, let me tell you: I sure miss the Duetz fuel economy... The JD is 200x easier on my back, but she is one thirsty sumbich.
Belts have no place timing a diesel imo. BAAAAD STOOOPID IDEA. The way I understand it all the older Deutz engines were air cooled geardriven cam pushrod op DI engines. EXTREMELY reliable. Quite loud, too. I would baulk severely at any belt timed diesel.
This is why we buy mustangs instead of gehls for our dairy barn. We like the yanmars.
ah another dairy farmer. i like it. maybe we can team up.
I see you're in Minnesota. If you're looking at a machine with a heater, don't plan on being overly warm in there in the winter. The oil cooled Gehl's will not put out much heat and in cold weather can be tough starting. The "Block heater" is actually a "maintainer", meaning that once you're done using it, plug it in right away to try to hold the heat in the oil. Because it's oil cooled, the element can only put out limited heat before it burns the oil.
Must be what my 1983 5 cyl Duetz was, because the thing never, ever- EVER- even hiccuped and I ran it WFO in 96* summer heat for years..got it so hot the oil on the side of the block (injector was crank case oil lubed, and blowby gave it some too) would smoke off...never lost power, never even farted. LOVE that engine. Cold weather starting was too good...20 below zero and you'd PRAY the thing wouldn't start so ya had an excuse to not go in the woods....it would start on the second revolution...no ether, no glow plugs.. Would never hessitate to buy an air-cooled duetz.
I have two ,oil cooled 1011's and they are great engines. My heater works just fine but a leak can be messy. The belt can be changed fairly easily..I like the fact that I don't have to worry about checking the coolant. A pan heater does fine and our temps are below zero farenheit at night most of the winter. Have not had any problems with the fuel system or bottom end and they are always are easy to start. I did put a starter on at 4000 hrs and you have to be a monkey but everything else in the Gehls is easy to get to. Fuel consumption is better than the kubota I have in my excavators and it's twice the hp. I do have a yanmar in a mustang and it's been great too.
I have rebuilt a Deutz 620 (V-16), 1015 (V-8), and a pair of 913's (I-6) all liquid cooled, and can say without a doubt that the manuals were written for Germans - even the English versions. Even compared to Caterpillar, the parts are very expensive, however they are very reliable engines with MTBO's of up to ~9,000 hrs.
We have an oil cooled Deutz in our '98 Bobcat 873 and aside from a bad head gasket it's been a very good engine, it always starts even in cold weather, doesn't overheat and it's pretty good on fuel. We had the timing belt replaced at 2000 hrs and it still looked new... Aside from the time bomb, err I mean timing belt, I think it's a very good engine!
Yair...We ran a special build air cooled BF6L913C's (6 cyl 198 Hp) in our Hovercraft and they were mostly good for seven thousand hours. In the same application supposedly "bullet proof" 350 Chevy's would do three or four hundred.