I was looking at some Gradalls not sure the year as they didn't say. I guess they have a Perkins of 80-100 hp. Decent motor, parts availability and any other info is appreciated. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&item=270361285920
We have several Perkins engines. Mostly in welders, but one is in a Hyster rough terrain forklift. It has a little over 9,000 Hrs on it and is still going. Only thing I've ever done to it was a couple starters over the years. You know how forklifts get treated. Fire them up cold, make a pick then shut them down. No time to warm them up. We've had a bunch of welders with them. Several of those have went over 8,000 hrs. Parts were a little tough to get for them. Cat bought them out a few years ago so I've wondered if that helped with the supply. I had an injector go bad on one and waited and waited for a new one. Finally the dealer told me to send it to him and he would take it to a fuel shop and get it rebuilt. Miller welder has a new welder out that their bragging about it having a Cat engine. I looked at one in Anchorage one time. Its just a Perkins painted yellow with a Cat badge on it. Still has Perkins stamped on the block. Technically their right though. Lincoln Electric still call them a Perkins though.
Every perkins I have been around have been good engines. Only complant I have had was they all smoke a lot when first started untill warm. I have also gone through a few starters on a 65hp bobcat w/perkins.
I'll echo the last two post, every Perkin's engine I have been around has been very good and they take a beating. I know alot of guys that have bought things just for the perkins engine in them. Good go to engine. Trbo
I ran a forklift with one in it. It seemed to run alright. I guess parts availability would be the same as Cat, now that Cat owns them.
Are they made in England?
They are a British engine, the home office is in Peterborough England. They have mfg facilities world wide. You can go to their website for the dealer nearest you. They are good/durable engines, not hard to work on, good design. I'm not sure about the newer engines, but the older models didn't use glow plugs. They used an intake pre-heater which, if it works at all, is not as effective as glow plugs in cold temps. But I still wouldn't have a problem buying one.
Just my two cents worth, but so far as I'm concerned, Perkins engines make good boat anchors.......
My Cat 248 has a Perkins in it, I've only got about 1800 hours on it but I'm real happy with it so far. It's been trouble free other than condensation freezing up in the breather tube this season. It has some type of preheater on it that works great, I hold the preheat button for 30 seconds or so and it starts fine even in sub-zero weather. They can use fuel pretty good when you work them though.
Good engine We have had a couple perkins very reliable engines, and fair simple to work on. Parts don't seem to be an issue either, ours have been pretty good on fuel as well.
Ive worked on a lot of Perkins engined machines over the years from little 3 cyl. engines up their V8's and found them quite a tough engine. Give it plenty of heat for cold weather starting and it'll serve you well.
I couldnt agree more. We have a 354 in an old truck and a 236 in a genset and they just keep going. The 354 dot 1s used to smoke a fair bit but seldom give any grief. The starter is an issue from time to time but I guess perkins wouldnt be on their own on that. Cheers.
Good strong engines Oliver used them and they had certified the horse power out put. I have a 40 year old Oliver with 6 cyl Perkins 354 that runs great and Direct Injection which is a PLUS.
Ran a perkins in an old massey ferguson hoe back in the early 70's. was a good trouble free engine. I know they ran them in a lot of hyster forklifts also.
Perkins Motors The Perkins Engines are World Class engines with first rate back-up and parts supply, they are so good CAT had to buy up the Company to enhance their own engine range, (now known as a Perkapillar) Boat Anchors??????? I think their is plenty of other make engines that I would use instead. tctractors
I was told during a conversation last week that Cat originally removed the rocker cover of the perkins engines that they fitted in thier machines and replaced it with an ali one that had the Cat logo on it and it became a Cat engine. :cool2 They seemed to like um, as Mr Remington said about the razor, they bought the company. The comment was also made that a certain brand of dumper that now has another manufacturers engine is worth less on the secondhand market than a two or three year older version of the same dumper with a Perkins engine in it, when exporting the machines to Africa. :drinkup
Thanks for the opinions. :drinkup I would not be afraid to buy a used piece with one in it. Back in about 85-86 I looked at buying a new Gradall. When I went to the dealer they had about 9-12 Gradallls with no motors. I ask why and they said the were all being replaced under warranty. Needless to say I bought some Lulls. Now looking at some used Gradalls some have Perkins even to the early 90's or later/
My oldest welder is a 1977 (I think) it still does not use any oil between changes, and engine is dry. That is a 4.236 which cat used the turbo version was used in the early 416 Also a lot of the commercial sport fishing boats around Cape Cod were using Perkins I believe at one time they advertised themselves as the largest engine supplier in the world
They are good engines in my opinion. I have 2 Massey Ferguson tractors built in the late 60's with Perkins engines. They are very reliable. One of my welders has a Perkins and it has been good as well.
I have one in my bobcat versahandler it is very tuff ive had it hot numerious times and no trouble yet knock on wood
Turns out the sweeper I bought last year has a perkapiller in it. does not smoke on start up like the old perks did but seems to run like a Cat and they are covering it under Cat warranty when ever it needs it.
Its hard to beat a Perkins, simple and reliable thats about all I can say.
My 1987 jcb uses a perkins turbocharched engine at 85hp... no problems at all, only oil replacement. Over 7000 hours and runs ok! i ve replaced only the turbo.