Looking for a self proclaimed hydraulic motor expert to run a couple of questions through as I do not totally understand this concept yet. All I have read so far is hydraulic motors are for low speed high torque, etc. I want to drive (spin) a shaft (1") with a hydraulic motor at 3500 to 5500 rpm's with a gas or diesel motor with a hydraulic pump. It would run continuous without the need of any manual control. It would start not under load and go under load only after startup. This would replace a 30 hp 58 ft lb torque gas motor with a variable belt system. Thanks, cb1
Some more information is required What is the application? what size engine do you have? How much room have you? The minimum components required are a pump and gear box, reservoir,filter,release valve,spool valve/directional valve,hoses,oil cooler,for this application hydraulics may be very inefficient
A couple questions? I don´t even see one question. Please give us some more details and ask whatever it is that you´re thinking about.
I am not an expert,but I will help if I can.What is the hydraulic motor driving?Hydraulic motors are rated by cubic inch per revolution.You will need to know the pump Gallons per minute to determin the motor sise so you can obtain the 3500 rpm's.Also need to know how much torque required by the motor.
I thought my last sentence would have been the give-away. My Bobcat has a nasty rod knock. A rebuilt MV4D is $3800. A new (with warranty) kubota 30 HP is $1600. That leave $2000 for radiator and hyd pump and hyd motor. For though's that don't know, a M610 has a jack shaft that spins continuously and drives both sides of the machine. So, back to my question, the manual says that low speed is 3500 and high speed is 5000 or so. I will look again for specifics, but I think they where talking jack-shaft speed. I could be all wet here, but you don't know if you don't ask. Thanks, cb1
I see.I have done my share of engine repowers.sounds like you are talking about engine and tranny repower in the bobcat.Anything is posible with enough cash.The whole point of repowering is to keep project cost effective.Unless you have most of the items allready ,I would advise you to repair the bobcat engine & tranny.I repowerd my fiat dozer because It broke the crankshaft and I had less money in the repower than fiat-allis wanted for the new crankshaft.Send us pics of your project CB1.
You can a NEW 30 HP Kubota for $1,600???????????????????????/
hyd motor this type of repair is not a feasible alternative to engine replacement you are better off sending the engine out to a local engine rebuilder .you should be able too save lots of money over a factory rebuild engine thanks the BIG D
I figured the conversation would go this direction once I let on to what I was thinking about. However, don't confuse the M610 with any other type of machine to include other Bobcats for that matter. As I said, it uses a jack shaft that actually spins all of the time the motor is running. No control except variable speed via a belt drive similar to a snowmobile. In other words, if one was not concerned about high and low range (speed) you could use two sprockets and a chain and thats it. However, I was thinking the hyd motor and pump may give more options for different speeds... As far as rebuilding the Wisconsin, I could do that, however it is a old design and prehistoric compared to modern motors. Some old things are good, some not, and in my opinion, it isn't worth the effort and money to rebuild only to have to do it again... Another option is a motor with twice as much hp and run at half speed for low speed. But would have to factor torque...
But where did you find a new Kubota 30 HP for $1,600??
It helps when we have the details & story.You need a hydrostat pump to have "variable speed" on the hydraulic motor.My only consern was the expence of the parts & labor.I dont want to see you get "upside down" on the bobcat.Good luck on the project. You might find the pump & motor on an old hydrostat combine,but it might be to big for your needs.
I'm looking for it. Found it the other day on the net. There was a CAT one for 2400 also.
There I found it again.... http://www.smallenginedistributors.net/kubota.html
Another picture. However, I was assuming it was diesel. Don't know for sure... http://engine4less.com/shop/product.php?productid=17701&cat=397&page=1
I believe it a gas motor..
HYD motors yes this engine of a older design but lets face it this machine sells for around 3000.00 or so MY brother just bought a 620 a bit newer for 3000.00 and it had a rebuilt engine along with the variable speed unit having recent repairs the engine being mounted crossways does limit what engine that can repower older bobcats also hyd pump have to be driven in the correct rotation so there are mainy things to think about. I have see repowers of other machines but they were hydrastatic drive units and the engine didnt sit crossways thanks the BIG D
Last Ritchie auction in Olympia had dozens of skid steers going for $7,500 or less. I'm going to bet you could find a heck of deal on a newer unit for alot less money in the near future.
Thats part of the issue. How much do you spend before it becomes cost prohibited. The machine actually runs and works fine, except the loud knocking sound from the engine. One option would be to run it until it pukes. I don't use it for work, just around my orchard for stuff. What oil to use with a rod knock? Ha, Ha. I also have it for sale locally for 1800 with trailer, so it could go to... I'm just frustrated as I put 700 worth of new parts in it last year and the first time I work it hard the rod knock starts. May put it on the back burner for a while. I still think direct drive (chain) would work, however one would have to compromise speed vs power. Set it up for power and it would take all day to road anywhere. Set for speed and no power to dig...
Just throwing this out there. Could there be air or debris in one of the injectors? It can sound like a rod knock. :beatsme
HV4D is a gas motor. Definitely a rod knock. 80 psi compression on all four cylinders....
cb1, I think your engine your referring to is a Wisconsin VH4D. They also made a VG4D. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a lot of design problems going from a gas engine, variable belt drive to a diesel engine, hyd drive. Also, the gas engine producing higher rpm's than a diesel can. Even though it's old as dirt, I'd tear into that Wisconsin in a heartbeat. The parts are still available, and there's even plenty of used working units out there that can be bought. I've even head of guys repowering these old Bobcats with variable belt drive with newer engines, like a V-Koehler or a V-Briggs. Even if you did go through with the diesel/hyd repower, figure out and install all the necessary components; what would you do if it didn't work properly? Man, that would be the pits!
Thats a typo, VH4D is correct. I can get a 31 HP Briggs set up for the M610 for $2500, so that is probably what I should do. After that I will have 4000 in to a 3500 dollar machine. But I have replaced everything else, so I know what I have and a lot can be said for that. The hyd pump motor thing was just a thought because you could use many different engine configurations, etc. Went on line tonight to find any VH4D buys. The VH4D has a tapered shaft and is twice as much as every thing else Wisconsin. $3800. I don't like the idea of rebuilding myself because the governor, carb, fuel pump and distributor would still be old. I think the only thing the Briggs doesn't come with is the muffler. I can make that. I will be a while, but will up date when I do it. Thanks for all of the comments, cb1....
CB1, did you stumble into this website? http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/RepowerItems.asp?Brand=Bobcat&Model=610
Yep, thats the 2500.....And thats what my machine looks like...
Well now, looks like a good option to me. Reasonable amount of money, and, a newer model engine. And if the "conversion kit" works out well, hot dang we're in business! Heck, I'm an "old" mechanic, I like to work with the "KISS principle"...Keep It Simple Stupid! You have got to send us some pics of your project when you get around to it and let us know how everything worked out. :notworthy
Will do......
Take a look at http://surpluscenter.com/ too, they have great deals if you see what you need.
Thanks
Well, got back to the bobcat. Took the head off and if you stop the piston half way on the down stroke on the first cylinder you can push it down about a 1/8th inch. Definitely a rod. So, if I don't get rid of it, I will be re-powering it as the Wisconsin is way to costly to repair...
Sold the bobcat today. Now I have an empty spot in the arsenal..