Thinking of replacing my Cat 279C with a new bobcat T740. I getting sick of tracks coming off my 279C. And feel it's a good time to trade. Just wondering if I will have less track problems with the bobcat. Would also like to get it with the roller suspension.
Tracks coming off??? Do you keep them adjusted?
I have had our T770 in places where I had absolutely no business being, and haven't had any trouble with tracks.
T595 here...between demo units and my new machine, I have about 100 hours of seat time. No indication of any de-tracking issues.
Yes I do. It's a know problem with the Cats. Just wondering if the bobcat is better.
I have never heard of any machine detracking like the CAT CTL's do. Doesn't seem to matter if they have triple flange up front or not. I personally wonder if it is due to the torsion suspension. That is only a guess, but a CTL suspension is all the same. Actually CAT I believe still uses Berco like most of the industry does or did. The only difference is CAT uses the torsion bars to allow for some suspension, maybe the flex allows too much slack in the track and will detrack due to that. I have no idea if that is the cause or not but the torsion suspension is the only thing that is different on the CAT then the other Berco suspensions out there.
I was unaware of this 'known problem'. I am new to CTL's. Mine is a CAT287 with no suspension. I have not had any problems yet and have put a couple of hundred hours on it so far. I guess I should exercise and lube the adjusters so I know they will be free if I have to put a track back on in the field.
You have a suspension.
Wow, you would have a tough time convincing me of that after sitting in the seat as long as I have :lol: . I have looked at the undercarriage. How does it wok on my model?
Ok, the 287 is labeled an MTL (multi terrain loader) and uses the ASV style undercarriage and has a totally different undercarriage compared to a 279, which is labeled a CTL (compact track loader) and has the more "conventional tracked skid steer undercarriage. They both have the same style "suspension" though, which is torsion bar suspension, meaning that the whole track frame is mounted on a front and a rear torsion bar which allows the entire track frame to contour to the ground somewhat. I think the problem is that the MTL track system is more apt to deal with some awkward flex since there is more give compared to the more conventional CTL undercarriage. If you look on your 287 there are 2 spots on top of the track frame that should be getting greased regularly, that would be where the track frame attaches to the torsion bars.
I'll take a look at it. There are 2 grease points on either side of the undercarriage of mine (which I hit with grease daily when used). I have seen track loaders in which the roller wheels have 'independent suspension', mine doesn't have that. It is a harsh and bumpy ride if I go over anything solid and sharp edged.
Ahhhh, here is mine (same as I mean). There is no suspension I can feel:
Ironically that is one of the smoothest track machines on the market (it and the ASV which shares the same track system). If you think that is rough, spend a day in a rigid CTL. These don't have a history of detracking that I am aware of. Issues with the torsion system however are known. CAT made updates on it, I think the track system was not made to take the extra weight of the CAT superstructure without the updates.
The 287 only has the torsion bars as suspension, the 277 and 267 units had bogey wheels that moved up and down and the torsion bar suspension...
I did not know that, I thought all MTL's had the independent bogey wheels.
new bobcats have a double flange front roller that seems to "solve" the problem of throwing tracks. but if you try hard enough anything is possible. the torsion suspension on the large frame machines has a hyd tensioner system
2015 279D at 700hrs with the triple flange rollers and we've never thrown a track. We use it too, it's not a hobby machine. 2008 T250 single flange rollers and we've thrown a track a couple of times but this was due to adjustment. Honestly I don't see how people have such a problem with throwing tracks on CTL's.
[QUOTE Honestly I don't see how people have such a problem with throwing tracks on CTL's.[/QUOTE] me either, i had an operator throw both tracks off 2 x's in 3 days....
Torsion axles have nothing to do with tracks coming off since the entire roller frame assembly and drive motors are one unit suspended independently from the tractor. You need to weld a shim between front idler assembly and track frame. Also shim front torsion axle. You will probably have to make those cause they have a inside and outside diameter. I’m on my second 259d and on day one I did this on my second machine. To much slack in these areas from the factory.
Amen, brother. Some of the places I find myself in with ours I'm sometimes surprised I haven't thrown a track. I think tension and wear play a pretty big role in it too.
I have though to myself before that there is a lot of slack in the front idler assembly like you have mentioned. Could you post some pictures of your mods?
Did you put a shim to take out all the slack on the front idler assembly. I can fit 1/2" shim with just a little play left.
This is the gap I am wanting to ad shims.
Got some shims welded in today. Hope they do the trick as Earthworks suggest.
Looking at the condition of those tracks they are on the downhill side of things. When they get to that point your usually running em loose to get the last nickle out of them. The belts start to rust and things start to track wanky, that is when I have had my troubles.