Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How big is too big

catfixer ยท 2015-12-17 01:12

I'm starting to think these big tandem axle service trucks are just getting a bit ridiculous. Neat to look at but not sure how in the heck you'd ever get it in and out of 75% of job sites. I wonder if it's got a break room. http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6440053

Replies9
  1. #1hetkind2015-12-17 05:04

    But it already has almost 400k miles, must be good at something!

  2. #2Oxbow2015-12-17 06:12

    I wonder if they con no longer use it in California due to CARB regulations, hence the sale.

  3. #3old-iron-habit2015-12-17 08:07

    Sounds like a new build on an used chassis. Why in the world would any one build it on a discontinued chassis that parts are already getting hard to find for. Body/cab parts are already non-exsistant around here.

  4. #4mikebramel2015-12-17 10:05

    That looks mostly a lube and fuel truck. Those are all tandem.

  5. #5hetkind2015-12-17 10:27

    For a lube and fuel, I would expect more than 600 gallons of diesel capacity, but it has 5 200 gallon lube tanks, and a 30 cfm air compressor and a 14k lb crane. That is a lot of money for used parts cobbled together. Howard

  6. #6mikebramel2015-12-17 10:42

    Theres 1800 gallons of fluid capacity. 600 + 6x200

  7. #7lantraxco2015-12-17 11:44

    Maybe an Uncle Pete's Rabbit Ranch truck? Would only be good for highway truckin' fer sure, 10-4?

  8. #8Shimmy12015-12-17 12:01

    Sounds like the grease monkey's truck. 5 oil tanks for AW 46 and 32, Cat SAE30 and 10, and 15w-40. Enough fuel to top most any machine off during the day, and a crane for loading/unloading pretty much anything you're going to do in the field. I could name several contractors right here in ND that could easily use everything on this truck efficiently. Definitely overkill for a lot of guys for sure though.

  9. #9KevD8152015-12-21 22:35

    I ran a very similar truck for a couple years. Its big but effective and if you want the crane and a reasonable payload capacity then you need the tandem axle.