Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How big of a truck do I need?

Lokel Yokel ยท 2014-11-20 09:04

I have a ford 555 backhoe that I would like to be able to haul with my own small dump truck and trailer. The backhoe weighs 14,000 lbs. Could you throw some general numbers at me as to trailer empty weights and required truck gross vehicle weights to move this machine. I had been considering maybe a 25,000 lb gross vehicle weight truck. A older chevy c80 or maybe a c60. I don't have a clue what the truck, trailer and backhoe would weigh. I suspect that this is not nearly enough truck. I'm not in the business, just want to legally and safely be able to get over to my dad's place etc. At some weight....I guess a CDL becomes a need also. Thanks for your input.

Replies13
  1. #1Desertwheeler2014-11-20 09:35

    Depends on what you wanna do but a 24k gooseneck is going to weigh about 6-7k so you figure tractor and trailer would be around 21k. You will need to find something that atleast has about a 28-30k gcvwr depending how heavy the truck is.

  2. #2Lokel Yokel2014-11-20 10:29

    Sounds like good information. I didn't have a clue what things weigh. I get the idea about what I'd be looking for.

  3. #3mitch5042014-11-20 20:51

    that 25,999 gvwr truck will handle a 555 just fine. It costs more, but if you can afford air brakes instead of hydraulic, it'll save you money and aggravation in the long run. gvwr = gross vehicle weight rating the most the truck and load should weigh gcvwr = gross vehicle combination weight rating the most the truck, it's load, the trailer, and the trailer's load should weigh

  4. #4Lokel Yokel2014-11-21 08:34

    Mitch, gcvwr is a number that would be shown somewhere on the truck in addition to the gvwr?

  5. #5Dozerboy2014-11-21 10:29

    You can pull that load on a 3/4 ton and gooseneck. GVWR doesn't mean much it's manufactures recamendation. Your local dot will tell the most you can haul it depends on length and axle spacing most of the time.

  6. #6mitch5042014-11-21 20:28

    Just because you can do something, it doesn't always mean you should.

  7. #7Lokel Yokel2014-11-22 00:12

    The C-80 that I was looking at is a 1963 and it is a REALLY neat and super clean truck. Has a 409 in it. Which is just plain cool! But probably qualifies as one of those things I shouldn't do! Like ahhhh....the trailer will stop better than the truck! 25,000 GVWR is what the guy told me. I'm also interested in a local 1981 F700 and a 1978 C6500.

  8. #8Aliate2014-11-22 01:06

    You'll need a class A as well, get an air brake truck.

  9. #9td25c2014-11-22 08:02

    Any one of those trucks would handle the task fine . The 63 Chevy C 80's with the 409 are junk , stay away from it . Buy the way , Where is it located & what are they asking for it ? LOL ! It sounds like a cool truck . Got air brakes on it ?

  10. #10td25c2014-11-22 12:53

    Yeah Lokel Yokel , couple of old school General Motors trucks we still use . HeavyEquipmentForums That's a 1962 GMC 5500 with 401 V 6 engine & 5 speed with 4 speed auxiliary . 34,000 rears on Hendrickson suspension .It has air brakes . HeavyEquipmentForums This is a 1966 Chevy C 60 with small block 350 engine , 4 speed transmission & 2 speed rear . It has hydraulic brakes . Several years ago we went completely through the brake system . Replaced everything from the shoes to the master cylinder , new steel & rubber lines , booster , etc . Had to spend some cash on it but it was well worth it as the truck will stop on a dime . We used it quite a bit this summer . I would rather have air brakes on a truck as hydro brakes seem to be more expensive to work on as mentioned earlier . Best of luck in your search for a truck .

  11. #11Lokel Yokel2014-11-22 17:54

    td25c, Those old trucks are nice. I really like your C60. Thanks for your input and everyone else's as well. I'm going to keep thinking about what I want to do for a truck. When I do get one i'll try to post the information back here. Thanks!

  12. #12td25c2014-11-22 22:00

    We love the C 60 . My Grand Dad bought it new in 1966 so it's been in the family a while . Came out with the 292 in line 6 cylinder engine . After that engine wore out we installed an early 1970's 350 . I cant quite explain it but with the low gearing in the two speed rear end combined with the small block chevy 350 liking the higher rpm's that truck pound for pound will pull with damn near anything on the road . Pull in the rock quarry & have the loader put 7 tons on . I can stay rite with tri axils & quads hauling 21 to 22 tons on the hills . Old truck seems to hold it's own . I did spot this nice looking 63 C80 on a fire truck chassis . http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...duct=8132&title=1963-c80-409fire-truck&cat=11 One of my favorite mid range diesel trucks is the older S model Internationals with the DT 466 . Damn good trucks in my opinion . http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=5282406

  13. #13Ole Gal2015-01-28 13:36

    Is my load safe? I have a 95 2500 Dodge with 5.9 Cummins turbo, pulling a Hudson 5 ton 18' trailer. Hitch and receiver are rated at 14,000 lbs and the truck is factory equipped with tow package. The weight of the rig total is 17,640 lb and trailer and grader alone while hitched to the truck is 9940 lb. The truck weighs 6100 lb. and gvw is 8800. Tires on the truck are rated for 3042 lb. each. The rotors calipers and pads are new on the front and has new drums, shoes and oversize brake pistons on the rear. The trailer has all new brake assemblies and tires, 2800 lbs each. I have the grader loaded so the tongue weight is aprox. 1600 lb. Truck handles well and stops easily with this load. The trailer will stop the rig without truck brakes in a reasonable distance. I do not do commercial work. I have to travel from DE, through MD, around Washington DC, and into central VA. So am I legal and safe.