Greetings, I just purchased a 2000 Case 550H dozer with only 653 hr showing. The low hours is reflected on the undercarrige, but not so much otherwise. I have a couple of questions for you experienced dozer guys. 1) Since two of the five (6-way blade) hydraulic cylinders are leaking, I'll be removing them for a rebuild/resealing, and will then do a system drain and filter replacement. Are the two filter elements inside the right side door both the same, one for the hydraulics and one for the transmission? And does the filter element brand make any real difference, Wix, NAPA, AC Delco just as good as a Case branded one? 2) Is the consensus that Tractor Supply- Traveller Universal Hydraulic fluid is a good replacement choice? 3) The seat and 2 arm rests are destroyed, where have others had the best luck with replacements. And if the mechanical seat suspension is still OK, is it advisable to re-use and simply fit a new seat top (bottom and back assembly)? Thanks very much for any advice, David-Oklahoma
drb-OK, I don't know much about dozers but I have ran the tractor supply hydro fluid in my TLB and the only difference that I noticed from the other expensive stuff that I was using that when it is cold the fluid takes forever to warm up. The machine is very sluggish. I think my next fluid change I will pay the extra money and try a different fluid.
I've had Case equipment for years. Whatever you do run Case TCH fluid in the transmissions. I've ran other fluid in the hydraulics and not had any problems, but the tranny you really need to run Case fluid in it. That machine will last you a long as long as you take care of it. I've had really good luck with all of mine. The Cummins engines are bullet proof, and you can buy parts for them at any auto parts store because of the B series engines being used in so many trucks.
You might try John Hahn for your seat and arm rests. Will probably save you some money over dealer. He custom makes as new seat cushions for most all crawlers, antique, old and newer.